1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will this be a forgotten art in the future of the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by crossover, Apr 11, 2016.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MfSftZvpHJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The mid to close range post up by a guard or forward. Probably one of my favorite things to watch growing up; truly a thing of beauty to see a player dismantle his defender one-on-one in the post.

Modern NBA systems favor off-the-ball tactics and offensive players tend to go straight into the face up to triple threat right away. Whereas last generation revered the fadeaway, the new generation reveres the back step. Kawhi Leonard in the Spurs system might be one of the only young players I see frequently featured with a back-to-the-basket mid-range game. But one reason why his and the post-up game of other modern players pales in comparison to old superstars is the lack of immediate decisiveness to go into a move.

2. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Harden is a pretty good post player too. I wish he would do it more often.

3. jlwee

jlwee Member

According to Morey, 3 point shot is more efficient than 2 point shot.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

We need more Brewer in the post.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

It already is a lost art.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/22O2lApCBBs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7-VcA2QZEFU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tBnwSeMiVaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wB2NmpVEnjs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yXFIngeh6NY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2edAvSLD5U8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8O9MgNfcGJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

+many many more

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

The post step back is basically his only move, but all you need is one move if it works ala Dirk or Duncan. Perhaps we should hire Sam Cassell as head coach to get him working in the post? Cassell was very good at that step back in the post to create separation.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

They key is desire. Kobe sought out Olajuwon and elevated his game. The same goes for Lebron. Harden has been around both Olajuwon AND Mchale yet didn't really develop his post game.

Maybe it will happen in time

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Post plays will continue but by guards and small forwards no really by bigs. Bigs will likely just be used to set screens.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think it's gone forever. But it's sorely missing.

The key takeaway from it all is, post move or not, speed and decisiveness are your friends. Be ready, make fast, definitive moves, and have fast definitive counter moves off those moves.

Even Curry does this today.

That's the thing you seem to see less and less of, even with great players. Westbrook has it. Curry obviously. Durant at times.

But even a guy like Lebron. Go and look at his earlier years where he was all about that. Whereas now it's slower, more surgical. It still works to a degree but not as effective as fast and surgical.

Dwight just doesn't have it in him to operate fast like that. Harden does... And unfortunately has let it get away from him even as he's become a more prolific scorer.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I used to not enjoy the college game due to lack of post play. Even good post players like Tim Duncan weren't much in the post compared to NBA bigs. Now I think the college game might offer the more interesting post play of the two.

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The amazing thing is, despite getting pushed or fouled, Jordan never pushes off or uses the off arm to create space. He is a freakin' monk of basketball. The rules now make it so you can't really touch a perimeter player while driving etc but guys still need to push off or use their off arm to create space quite often and will be called for the offensive foul every now and then.

12. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

The NBA needs rules changes to encourage post play. It's fine for the NBA to encourage perimeter-based offense, but when every team is doing the same thing, the game needs to be fixed. The main thing is to strictly enforce the defensive 3 seconds rule. Widening the lane a few inches at the same time might help as well, though that could have other effects, too,

13. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Remember that MJ was able to do this in the days of the illegal defense call.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it's the rule changes they made earlier that discourage the post play in the first place. One, mobile guards and forwards have a whistle advantage when they are ranging about. When they post up though, refs will allow defenders to be more physical. Two, the old illegal defense rules helped guards iso a smaller defender and post him up. Help defense couldn't sag or play a zone, they had to either stay at home on their man or commit to the double-team. Now, defenses are more free to counter a post-up how they want.

15. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

It'll be a less emphasized part of the game, but it's not going to go away. LeBron James has done lots of work in the post. Shaun Livingston makes his living in the post, since almost any point guard is going to be shorter than him. Any forward or guard with such skills will use them when they get the right match-up, but fewer and fewer teams will build their team around that kind of inside-out kick game.

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mgUvN9a-seQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VlDNIDfSpMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

HC: Sam Cassell
    AC: Mario Ellie

C: Whiteside(dream blocks)Capela(Herrera)/E.Okafor(Thorpe+CJones)

PF:Motiejunas(dreampost)/CoolBease(ChillyPete+TMurray)/M.Harrell(Chucky)

SF: Batum(Horry)/Ariza(ellie)Dekker(Bullard)

SG: Harden(drexler)/Bev(madmax)/Goudelock(email?)

PG: Mo Williams(Kenny)/Jarrett Jack(Cassell)/S.Curry(Brooks)

No real Dream and no real Thorpe, but a prime Drexler!

I like it! hehehe.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

sorry mac2yao, i quoted you because i initially had Livingston as the Cassell role but i realized he's not a free agent so Jarrett Jack replaced him.

Sam i Am would preach the post up game with DMO, Harden and JJack and even Beasley putting in work in the post.

:)

19. Mr. Motiejunas

An amazing talent.

20. LHSPanther62

LHSPanther62 Member

Wesley Matthews does it sometimes, and harden is more than capable of doing it. But posting harden up goes away from our "philosophy". What i would love to see more of is that close pick n roll with harden near the block.