1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will there be another MJ/Kobe/Shaq/Hakeem?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Brown Lost It, Oct 19, 2016.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

Like who kobe was one of the best players of his era he belongs on this list .and i'm not a fan of kobe.

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

LeBron is going to go down as one of the most dominant players ever and the greatest player of this new generation. Dude is amazing.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Jerry Lin will be looked at similarly in 20 years.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

GOAT

Jontro likes this.
  5. Handles

Handles Member

- Why the hell is kobe on that list? Sure he's a hall of famer, but he's not in the same league as the other three guys.

- College makes a difference. The best players these days spend just 1 year in college. Shaq, MJ, and Hakeem all spent at least 2 years which gave them extra time to hone their games. I wish the NBA would revert the rules and allow drafting straight from hs or after at least 2 years in college.

- That said, Lebron is arguably the second (or first) best player of all time and he didn't go to college. We'll see these players again but legends are few and far between. That's why they're deemed "legends".

- However, I don't think we'll see another shaq-type in terms of success. I'm not sure shaq would be as successful in today's NBA because his game was just too physical and the rules today don't allow that. In his early years, Dwight found success in that role but look at how they ref him now. Even Yao got the short end of the stick with the refs and he wasn't half as physical as shaq.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  6. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

IF Embiid stays healthy, he will be the closest thing to Hakeem. IF he stays healthy.

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Kawhi Leonard. Period.

8. Bruce

Bruce Member

The way defense is played in the NBA has changed so much since the Jordan/Olajuwon era it's mindboggling. I don't think players really need to be as skilled with their hands on defense as guys like Hakeem and Jordan (who were the two most skilled of hand I had ever seen). Unless something changes, we will never see players with those kinds of defensive hand skills ever again.

9. Space City

Space City Member

Pretty smooth of you to start with 2010 for your argument. Once you start to consider the previous three years (Curry, Harden, Griffin, Westbrook, and Durant), your argument doesn't work quite as well.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Fixed.

11. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

honestly the point of this thread was the recent draft have been very bad in terms of superstar talent. It should not of been derailed into where are the goats. I see too many role players and not enough superstars. still, another Hakeem or MJ would be nice. and you act like that's not even a lot it's still seven drafts

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Previous draft just had Porzingis and KAT how are those guys role players? Maybe you mean the draft this year, then yeah this draft looks weaksauce. It's not like you're gonna see a Shaq or MJ every year dude those guys come only once every 10 years or something.