1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Rockets Extend Eric Gordon?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Aug 2, 2018.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

I hope so, he is one of my favorite players. He had a disappointing playoffs, but usually he is a deadly shooter.

mockster likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He showed he is a big game player against GSW, That's where his importance lies.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yup! he didn't back down on either end. shots may fall or not but effort and confidence to stay on the attack are what's important. i would say almost all of our players had that.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

What you are describing is a RENEGOTIATION-and-extension. A team must have cap room to do a renegotiation.

joshuaao, Nook, BigMaloe and 8 others like this.
  5. riko

riko Member

He was huge in the game two win and hit a huge 3 in the game 5 win in Golden State. He pretty much kept us in it in the 4th in game 7 as well. Eric was pretty damn good when it counted

Astrodome, saleem and Lawlruschang like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ah, well damn. Thanks for pointing that out.

saleem likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would totally be down for this breakdown.

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. rocketseagles07

Yea if it’s this type of deal, despite me being scared of his injury history I’m all for it

RyanB likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

for years now i wondered why rockets just dont fill their roster with good 3pt shooters, but the strange thing is whichever good or great 3pt shooter they did bring in, they failed miserably with regards to 3pt shooting % in playoffs...

QUESTION
    was there a single rockets player in last year 4 years that shot a solid percentage on 3pters in the postseason?
    of the top of my head i cant think of any save perhaps cp3?

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It would be nice to lock him down for reasonable salary. It would also give him piece of mind since he's not getting any younger. It's a win/win for both parties.

RyanB and saleem like this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm fine giving him the 2 year extension, but that 3rd year i'd rather not pay a 34yr old $20M

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Same. Especially if we could team option that last year

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not me... that type of extension would seem like a huge mistake. Gordon is going to be 30 this year, no reason to offer him a 3 year 18 mil per extension until he's 34, and that's completely disregarding his health issues. 19.5 mill at 34 years old with Gordon's health issues would be a terrible risk IMO.

A 2 year 30 mill extension would be plenty fair IMO, and I'd hope for a partial guarantee on the 2nd year considering his age and past health problems.

@BimaThug

You said a team would have to have cap space in order to do a renegotiation, is it at all possible to do a renegotiation with our remaining MLE?

Also, are 8% decreases possible after the initial 1st-year hike in extension salary? Thanks!

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Since the MLE is not cap space, no. You cannot combine salary cap exceptions.

Yes, you can increase OR DECREASE salaries by up to 8% of the salary in the first year of the extension.

ThatBoyNick likes this.