1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will/Should Josh Smith start?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Dec 24, 2014.

?

Will/Should Josh Smith start

1. Yes

71.9%
  2. No

28.1%
  1. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

We got roasted by Cousins and Griffin this season, just to name a few elite PFs that abused us at the 4. Equipped as we were, it was going to be LMA going nuts in the playoffs all over again--how are people not seeing this?

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lol josh smith is averaging 5 assists per game because he's an exceptional passer from the 4 spot, and miles ahead of dmo in that department.

and obviously as a dmo-only fan you hate this move :grin:

3. Melkart

Melkart Member

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but Josh Smith is shooting the corner 3 with great efficiency this season. Admittedly, the sample is very small, and he wasn't shooting it very well in previous years. But perhaps if he keeps practicing that shot he could be a serviceable corner 3 guy?

notice also the left arc 3%:
    Josh Smith 2014-5 shot chart

4. Normalus

Normalus Member

Have you ever seen Pistons games? Apparently you don't, because he was playing 3 spot most of the time even if Singler was in starting line-up. He was ball handler a lot with Pistons as well, that won't happen with Rockets starting line-up cause there is Harden and Beverley.

What about his assists, most of them came in transition on a fast break when he's handling the ball. Won't happen cause Harden eats most of the cake. The only good thing about him is his defense, his offense is the worst on our team, he's the worst 3pt shooter (as well as FG), and even Howard shoots better FT's than him. If he is there to win a championship, he must put his ego in the pocket and don't demand a ball, play defense - earn your spot in starting lineup.

Right away, after trade, I don't see him starting. Has he ever seen our team playing? I'm playing basketball and I know how hard to get into new system (new team), that won't happen in one week, or two.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

1) HE WILL START for this team whether dmo likes it or not
    2) he is an exceptional passer anywhere on the floor -- not just on the break or bringing the ball up
    3) he is an exceptional passer from both the 3 and 4 spots
    4) you look hilariously pathetic right now crying about dmo losing the starter spot just because you share the same nationality

6. Normalus

Normalus Member

It's not about Motiejunas, it's all about the team. He does not fit with starters, and probably never will, period

Good luck prooving your trues to others, SOF. Merry Christmas

7. CrashTheBoards

ThEy are stupids that think morey just dismantled a championship team or something

8. CrashTheBoards

A google search and your post history indicates you are a dof.

No one wants to hear biased opinions.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm a smith-only fan now? :grin:

get lost kid.

10. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

in words of Bill Worrel, what system? rockets have no system...:grin:

11. DaDa

DaDa Contributing Member

For those who have not read Josh Smith's reaction. At least his mentality/intention (?) seems to be in the right place. Easier said then done however.

"It's an exciting time for me," Smith told FOX26 Sports. "Being able to be reunited with a good friend and one of the best teammates I ever played with, I think we can definitely do something special.

"Playing beside the best two-guard in the game right now in James Harden, what more can you ask for."

"I think I can add to their toughness," Smith said. "I think I can add to their versatility at the four position, being able to pass the basketball and score the ball down low.

"Just add another basketball IQ, which will help when we make it to the postseason"

1 person likes this.
  12. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Exactly. I doubt Smith is much worse than Dmo or TJ shooting wide open corner threes, and Dmo should have his way posting up vs. most team's 2nd units. Our offense is much more efficient this way and our bench has better post entry passers than our starters. Starting Smith is a no brainer

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Salty

[​IMG]

14. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

1. The defense overall will be better. 2 of Smith, Dmo or Howard on the floor most of the time. The bench gets better rim protection, starting line-up stays strong on that end.
    2. Fair point, however Dmo going to the second unit helps there offensive production. He can be an anchor.
    3. He was not going to sign without the guarantee. So it was either get him or not.
    4. We don't want Smith being a core part of the offense, he needs to be the 3rd option at best. He can't be the first option. Simplifying his offensive role is the best chance at seeing him productivity improve.

15. Red Chocolate

Just as awkward as Howard/Asik? Hmm sounds like a big stretch.. I'm remembering how Asik would fumble 2-3 balls out of bounds every game whereas Smith is able to catch and finish alley oops quite easily. Other teams now have huge problems with pick and rolls with Harden to Howard/Smith. DMo offers none of those athletic abilities and is much more efficient being the primary post scorer off the bench. Think about it - Dmo has been dominating STARTING players on the block, now instead of getting frozen out of the offense he should be the #1 option off the bench.

16. Red Chocolate

Oh noooo this is indeed worrisome if TJones is healthy and Pappa only gets 5 mpg, and also what if something happens to Pappa? We play Brewer or move Smith to the 4? What if Brewer gets hurt - we play Black or Capela those 5 mpg? Man sucks to be us.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Give him the starting job, but he should have the ability to lose it. He's a dynamic defender and we build our wins off of great defense. He starts because he can do a number on quality PFs.

18. PeppermintCandy

It will be interesting to see if DMo can adjust to playing off the bench again. He thrived as the top frontcourt option while Howard was out, but seemed to lose a bit of his groove when Howard returned.

If he can find his mojo as the lead big of the second unit, this 4/5 rotation could be championship caliber.

19. Jakey

Jakey Member

I'm just glad we have this problem. Depth, depth, depth!! Against the likes of Aldridge, Dirk, Duncan, Z-Bo, and Griffin, it is good to have this problem! Merry Christmas!!

20. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

Isn't it because Dwight has been getting most of the touches... Plus his D last game was more than serviceable.

I hope he stays at 25 - 30mpg but you never know with McHale..