1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Russell Westbrook improve his FG%?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Jul 17, 2019.

?

Will Russell Westbrook improve his FG%?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    79.4%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

And yet, data does not tell the whole story. Westbrook could change his stats this season, then all of sudden he becomes a "good" shooter. I just think people are looking a little too much at the analytics.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

James Harden is a career 33% shooter from 3pt range in the playoffs

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

what does analytics have to do with this? there's 11 years worth of play in the NBA clearly saying westbrook is not a good shooter.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What happen to him having a better supporting cast during those MVP runs between James and him?

I would like to think so, but it's been on a decline and it's later in his career. I think not.

5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

That's the wrong question to ask. Doesn't really matter if he improves his fg% or not.

What matters is if he improves his TS%. Last year it was at 50%( lowest in 8 seasons) . His career high is .554% Twice.

I'd expect his TS% to rise to his career avg of 53% if not higher. A new career high is very possible if he adapts to the offense and changes his shot selection.

6. OtisHerrera

OtisHerrera Member

Shot selection.

7. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Define "good shooter". Most people would look to numbers to define that statement and that is what I am disagreeing with. Numbers can be manipulated by the players, so for myself, I do not trust them to tell me something about a player in general.

I maybe wrong about this, but it seems like you are referring more to the "eye" test. In your own eyes, you see Westbrook as a "bad" shooter and that's fine. I just believe he can and will improve his shooting.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

what do you mean define good shooter? someone who shoots 30% for a career and less than that in a year is not a good shooter. that's self explanatory. there's no eye test there. that's just common sense

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Yes, it’s possible that he can eliminate all of his bad habits after 11 years. I wouldn’t put my $$ on that.

10. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Let's just say, I would not leave Westbrook wide open and let him shoot the ball. He may not be Kyle Korver, but it's not like he's Shaq either.

Again, it seems you are referring to the numbers to define your term of a "good shooter" and that's fine. I just do not see it that way, because a player can manipulate the numbers one season and all of a sudden he is a "good shooter".

Agree to disagree I suppose.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

you wouldn't? the rest of the league has and its certainly worked. 11 years of numbers isn't getting dramatically manipulated. not sure who gave you that idea

12. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

All? Maybe not, but some maybe. Let's just give Westbrook a chance.

13. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Worked? I guess sure......

Again, numbers do not tell the whole story.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

no idea what you're trying to say here but anyways

15. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Like I told the last poster, let's just give Westbrook a chance.

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

OP you know if you had posted this exact same thread with the exact same header in CF about 3 months ago,

what kind of reactions you will be getting?

LOL

harold bingo likes this.
  17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Are wins and losses just numbers? The teams that leave him open and dare him to shoot win, and Westbrooks team loses. I don't know if you consider that one an analytic too.

YOLO likes this.
  18. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

There are many other factors to it. Leaving Westbrook open to shoot led to loses? What about rebounds, turnovers, broken down defensive plays, etc.

Numbers do have a place, I just believe it's being looked into a little too much these days.

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

if Westbrook has career high % playing here, he should win most improved.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He will do well for a very obvious reason to people who are older.... legs

His legs will be better rested during games because James Harden will take a load off the offensive side of the game. He can conserve energy more and that translates into more buckets. Westbrook was carrying way too heavy of a load. Harden too. They can relax a bit more, save some legs for the second half now. I expect it to rain in the TC.

theoldblood likes this.