1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Rudy Tomjanovich make the Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rpr52121, Dec 29, 2009.

?

When will Rudy T be admitted into the Hall of Fame?

1. Rudy T will be inducted in the next 5 years.

35 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. Rudy T will be inducted more than 5 years from now.

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. Rudy T will never be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

12 vote(s)
    19.7%
  4. Rudy T should not be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Okay, I'm tired of all these threads about McGrady, Ariza, and Adelman. So here is an attempt at a completely different discussion.

What do Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach, Pat Riley, John Kundla, Bill Russell, KC Jones, Red Holzman, Tom Heinsohn, Alex Hannum, & Chuck Daly have in common?

It's not hard.

They all have coached two NBA title teams, and they have all be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

There are only 2 coaches who have accomplished that feat without making the Hall of Fame:
    Gregg Popovich & Rudy Tomjanovich.

This makes no sense, since coaches currently in the Hall of Fame include current coaches such as Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan for their coaching records (not playing records). Rudy T last coached in 2005. Even beside that Rudy T was a 5 time all-star during his playing career prematurely ended bye the Kermit Washington punch.

So the discussion is simple. Should he be in the Hall of Fame? Will get in? When do you think it will happen?

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

3. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

No one should take the Hall of Fame seriously until Artis Gilmore is inducted...

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I realize that my sig. notes that the HoF are idiots. That does not mean we cannot discuss if/when Rudy will be recognized for his contributions.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yes, he should be inducted... and don't forget about his Olympic/National team coaching accomplishments.

6. h0m3t0wnh3r0

h0m3t0wnh3r0 Member

i think he'll make it in eventually. what's holding him back is he coached a team from texas (media hates all texas teams), his alcoholism and the fact that he was drunk during the glory days. but he still coached two championship teams so i don't see why not.

7. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

He'll never be inducted...was never a GREAT player(good yes), a couple of second team college honors, 5 time all star NBA...but never elite(MVP candidate, scoring champ, standout in someway) or simply good for long enough ('the punch' rob him of it). He won a couple of championships with Houston(lucky to have the best player in the league at the time), but has a relatively short coaching life...not long enough to garner enough votes. We love him in Houston, but he probably needed a bit more for the HoF.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It is a joke that he is not already a member. I guess the hall can only consider one area of your career at a time, as a player, as a coach, or as a contributor etc.

Few have done what Rudy has done.

Rudy was a great college player at a major college. He average over 25 pts and 14 rebounds a game during his career at Michigan. His senior year he averaged more than 30 points per game and almost 16 rebounds per game. He was the second player selected in the 1970 draft.

As an NBA player he was a 5 time all-star and overcame a near life ending injury to return to all-star form in 1979.

As an NBA coach he guided the Rockets to two Champiomships.

He coached the U.S. to a gold medal in the Olympics.

How many other people have done what Rudy has done on so many levels?

#8 Rip Van Rocket, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  9. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

I think he will get in. And you missed a few biggies from his college days..

1970 All American
    1st team Big Ten 69' and 70'
    His career rebounding records stand to this day at Michigan

10. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

He should make it but don't you have to be retire a few years removed from the NBA for a while in order to be nominated?

Last I heard, Rudy T sadly was still working for the Lakers, so it might still be a while.

11. edc

edc Contributing Member

No question he belongs. Guy V. Lewis is a bigger omission, but Tomjanovich isn't too far behind.