1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will President Trump spend the majority of his weekends at Mar-A-Lago?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Mar 4, 2017.

?

Will President Trump spend majority of weekends at Mar-A-Lago?

Poll closed Mar 4, 2018.
  1. Yes

81.3%
  2. No

6.3%
  3. I abstain, courteously

12.5%
  1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Makes the government spend at his places, places his family in key positions, spends his weekends golfing (every week) at his resort, keeps most of his family in his tower so the american ppl can spend an exorbitant amount on security and then claim he's a saint by not taking 400K in salary.

sugarlnd kid and the rest of the trumpers must be the easiest people to make a buck off of. (please please hmu for any bets)

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm a little surprised that it isn't more. One would think that with the election of the 1%'s wet dream, they'd open their pocketbooks. The next presidential election cycle will see each major party spend a $$billion freakin' dollars, and perhaps more, in my opinion. That could be total spending for the House, Senate, and the presidency, but I don't think so. Pretty sure that I read that the GOP and the Democratic Party, and associated entities, each spent a $billion+ last year on the campaign for president. That's obscene. We need election reform in order to reign in spending. Instead, we seem to be going in the opposite direction, with spending on campaigns by the one percent of both parties (but much more on the GOP side) allowed to go unreported, much less limited. The amount of a donation should be limited for the House, Senate, and presidential campaigns. We need a level playing field, as level as we can make it, so average Americans have more of an impact on the process, the two major parties don't have to "beg" for money from the rich so they can compete, and third parties have a chance at, golly, picking up some House seats, if not winning Senate seats and the White House, at least at first. In my opinion, anyway (and I'm a Democrat).

And here's something else - it should be a LAW that a presidential and vice-presidential candidate HAS to release his or her tax returns, with no regard for hand size. There is absolutely no reason for trump not to release his. That he hasn't is an outrage.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I questioned the premise of this thread and asked why do yall care if the President spends his time at Maralago... The answer from the collective left has been, well since the right ripped Obama for going on trips, etc...Trump is fair game. NO one on this forum can definitively state they know what it costs President Trump's trips to Maralago. These estimates have been using faulty math from how it cost to transport Obama(the article below indicates a 2013 trip)...His travel has been a mix of business and leisure(he has already had foreign dignitaries at HIS place. It also helps that he goes to his OWN damn golf-courses if he wants to play.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/.../ct-trump-mar-a-lago-cost-20170412-story.html

After all the dusts settles, this ish is gonna fall right back onto yall's collective faces.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Trying to get to your "level of stupid"...but its proving to be an impossible feat.

6. NewRoxFan

We're simply using Trump's own criticisms, as well as other recognizable criticism of a president who plays lots of golf and takes time off. Seems fair game that his own words are used against him. Unless you think Trump and other republicans that attacked Obama previously were unfair and incorrect?

btw, this AP fact check prices out Trump's Mar A Lago junkets conservatively at $1 million each.
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/fact-check-trump-mar-a-lago-trips-cost

This article estimates the China Summit cost at $1.5 million
    http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...-travel-triggers-cost-ethics-concerns-n743541

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

"security risks" lol

9. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Sure, whatever makes you feel better about it since this election was about score boarding and liberal tears etc. Hypocrisy abounds in politics, on both sides, but this bit can't be ignored. Not when a party, it's president, it's leaders and pundits made such a sanctimonious attack on President Obama over the issue while surpassing him in every category(amount spent, number of rounds, time).

In any case, agree or disagree, Happy Easter all!

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

As advisers cross globe to hotspots, Trump stays put
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/17/politics/donald-trump-travel/index.html

11. Nook

Nook Member

With the Presidency being such a powerful office, and with the current laws being what they are; a billion dollars is NOTHING.

Honestly, with the influence and policy power the President has, I am surprised that someone hasn't been able to raise billions of dollars for their election campaign.

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Taxpayers are paying not only for his frequent trips to Mar a Lago, but we're also footing the bill to secure his wife's home, in one of the most expensive areas of the world, that she refuses to leave. President Trump's frequent hosting of foreign leaders in Florida has already led to shoddy security (see: hotel guests taking photos of him and Shinzo Abe discussing North Korean missile launches and posting images of the armed serviceman in charge of the "nuclear football" online. These are mishaps that would not happen at the White House) that should concern you, but something tells me you'll rationalize why it doesn't.

2. The people who spent years complaining about the frequency of President Obama's golfing are silent on President Trump's outings. That he owns the clubs doesn't matter, they still need to be secured according to presidential standards. That costs money.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Concerning his salary, the American taxpayers are effectively paying twice if he donates it all to charity and then claims that on his tax return.

JuanValdez likes this.
  14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It's hard to imagine his health holding up for that long. He'll be 74 at the time of the next election. It's hard to imagine him living through this presidency but he doesn't seem to work himself too hard physically. It seems like he delegates a lot of stress to his staff/vp and lets them deal with the day to day so who knows. I mean, he doesn't look like the healthiest guy in the world but you never know. Two of the top 5 oldest presidents at inauguration died in office and Trump is now the oldest ever. Still, life expectancy in the 1800s is obviously not what it is today.

#94 Brando2101, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

No, it just proves you're a pretty good hypocrite and bullshit artist.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. It proves the hypocrisy of the criticism of Obama's work-lie balance, but whatever. I forgive hypocrisy easily compared to most.

2. Math aside, I know it costs a lot to provide security for a president on the move. If he needs an off-campus spot, Camp David was set up to be secluded and safe in a cost-effective way. But, even as a colossal waste of taxpayer money, it's nothing compared to what he can cost us with benighted policy decisions (or gain us with some hypothetical good decision).

3. What bugs me about it is that the selfishness and hypocrisy Trump displays in spending hundred of millions so that he can go to his own place is another data point to confirm for me what I already believe about him more generally -- that he puts his own advantage above the welfare of the country. So it matters to me really only in that it reminds me what a shitty president I have.

B-Bob and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He eats like ****, so there's a good chance we get to see his massive coronary on live television.

18. NewRoxFan

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

And people wonder why our economy is f@#%ed. . . .

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It'll be on pay per view.

Host Ivanka is poised and ready to deliver.