1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Ming break down?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

With the line clearly drawn between the Ming supporters & Ming traders, I feel that it's time to discuss Ming's long term durability. I'm not proposing any trades, but rather, would the team be taking less of a chance by picking Ming or trading him for multiple players & draft picks, while dumping an albatross contract or two?

I don't know how many games (including playoffs) that the Shanghai Sharks play every year, but an NBA team plays 8 preseason, 82 regular season, & anywhere from 15-26 playoff games per season. That translates to a minimum of 90 games and a maximum of 116 games per season (assuming he has aspirations of winning a Championship). The NBA season for this year started the first of October of last year & will be completed by mid June at the latest. The first month had just 8 preseason games, but that's still 7+ months of tough NBA regular season pounding. Then he goes to play for the CBA. When does he get to rest his body?

When you consider the fact that he's 7'5" 296 lbs. & how physical the NBA is, how long will he be able to hold up?

Francis & Mobley play regularly during the off season & last year (not counting Steve's migraines) neither one was completely healthy during the season. When you consider that they are both little guys compared to Ming, I have to wonder how long Ming can keep up a schedule of playing for two different leagues every year.

It's been reported that Ming had severe stress fractures in both of his legs as a teenager & the fact that the Chinese government won't allow the Rocket's team physicians to give him a complete physical, causes me to have concerns about his long term durability.

By playing in two leagues every year, that in essence makes him a two sport athlete, as far as wear & tear on his body goes.

There have been very few 7'3"+ players that have not experienced persistent & nagging foot & leg injuries during their careers. However, Ming could be the first.

I'm not questioning his skills, just his durability if he has to play for two leagues every year. It will take it's toll.

The question becomes, do we draft a player that has the potential to be Wilt, Kareem, & Dream all wrapped up in one package or do we trade him for (as ROCKET!!! stated) players that will make 4 positions rock solid for the next 10 years?

With the demands of playing for two leagues, will Ming be playing in 10 years or will he be broken down?

2. sideshow-bob

sideshow-bob Contributing Member

I think he only has to play for the chinese national team and not in the CBA. Thus he would be able to rest during offseason except for the years when there are world championships or asian championships. That's comparable to what the europeans do in offseason so I don't think it will be that much of a deal.

3. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

There's no question about it he will break down. All the ming lovers are thinking that this guy is a center,he's 7'5, talented, and has a lot of upside. All the other factors that makes this a bad business decision are thrown out the door.

4. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

I'm a partner in an investment firm and manage money for a living. Please peer into that very crystal ball of yours and let me know where the market is headed.

5. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

right on Jerry! These guys are intoxicated with what ifs and not thinking realistically. Hottoddie I hadn't even thought about the no rest thing that just adds fuel to the fire.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

UT Baller,

I just read Yoa's injury future in my Tarot cards and his health will be average to above average. I am off to find some tea leaves to read, with bird entrails after that. I will keep you posted.

Grummett,

My crystal ball (which I only use for the stock market) tells me that bonds have a brighter future than stocks over the next 3-5 years. So keep it diversified!

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Sarcasm aside, they bring up valid points. Will it affect the decision to draft Ming? Er....no.

8. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

What does a crystal ball & tarrot cards have to do with common sense? The knee & ankle joints are two of the weakest parts of the body. You can't build enough muscle around them to prevent the shock of jumping & landing on them. 300+ pounds coming down on the feet will take its toll. If he isn't given enough time to rest,then he becomes more susceptible to injury than the average athlete.

It has nothing to do with, whether or not you like him. The Ming lovers need to quit being so defensive & the Ming traders (some are haters) need to quit using every little argument to justify hating him.

My personal opinion, is that we could build a better, more diversified, & deeper (talent wise) team by working multiple trades. However, if the Rockets believe that Ming is their guy, then I'm all for it.

After all, I'm a Rocket's fan, not a single player's fan.

9. fred futureStar

Jerry - you settle down now. This is your team in ringside only. It's all a roll of the dice, and this is one exciting roll. Eventually, the "told-you-so's" will have their day, and perhaps the Rockets, a few championships in between. Yoa looks good from up here, down there, around the corner, out the back door, and every which way imagineable. Count our lucky star. Everyone else is.

10. jwun

jwun Member

I thinks it is possible that Yao might wear down through the course of a season. But, is he gonna get a whole lot of minutes early on, is Rudy T gonna gradually work him in the rotation?

Didn't EG and Tinsley get alittle worn out last season?

Is it common for rookies to bog down playing a full NBA season?

11. nilsrock

nilsrock Member

Ming will not continue playing in the CBA after he has entered the NBA. He will play for his national team in big tournaments some offseasons i belive.

I'd still be surprised if he didn't hit the rookie wall like many first year players.

12. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

You're right that day will come for the "told-you-so's.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Will Ming break down? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

14. Panda

Panda Member

First of all, every athlete breaks down at one point if they keep playing. Charles broke down, Hakeem broke down, Bill Walton broke down, Shaq is gradually breaking down. What's the point?

The point is if Yao can be good enough to win some rings before he breaks down, and nobody but his body can tell.

15. Juugie

Juugie Member

Of course we do!!!

Now all we have to do is find one...

16. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

The Real Question is this:

Will Yao Ming's Little Girl Arms be Rendered Useless?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    lets just say that everytime I look at his arms I have a strong feeling towards ripping them out of their sockets and save time and money on this silly draft.

17. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

"I have a strong feeling towards ripping them out of their sockets and save time and money on this silly draft."

LOL!

All joking aside, I don't think his short arms are that much of a factor. I think its more about his defensive talent and likelihood of being injured. I think he will have an injury plagued career, but thats just my opinion.

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

<i>It has nothing to do with, whether or not you like him. The Ming lovers need to quit being so defensive & the Ming traders (some are haters) need to quit using every little argument to justify hating him. </i>

I'm not a "Ming lover", I don't necessarily lean one way or the other real strongly, so with that being said, I disagree that there hasn't been a 7-3 foot guy or taller without a nagging injury, Shawn Bradley hasn't had nagging injuries. In fact, there isn't a NBA player on this planet without a nagging injury.

<i>The Real Question is this:

Will Yao Ming's Little Girl Arms be Rendered Useless?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    lets just say that everytime I look at his arms I have a strong feeling towards ripping them out of their sockets and save time and money on this silly draft.</i>

What? His arms are small for a <b>7-5</b> guy, but big for your average player. People say the same thing about Willis arms being short, yet his arms are actually big and strong compared to players smaller then him.

19. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

"Shawn Bradley hasn't had nagging injuries."

Thats because his feet have roots. I'm sure you've seen his "jumper".