1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Melo be in the 6-man rotation vs the Warriors in playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It would work out for us if he pouts about starting and playing time

2. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

It will depend on if he signs here, how he is playing, how the team is playing with him in, and health of our other players.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Am I the only one that checks Clutchfans between 2-100 times per day wondering when there will be some actual offseason news?

Hakeemtheking, Zboy, Bengchu and 3 others like this.
  4. watashi315

watashi315 Member

I completely agree. He'd be like Green. Come off the bench to give us some scoring but no D will kill us.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Alas, Carl has proven time and time again that is not the case.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Defensively is worrying. Ryan Anderson tries, and managed to not always look completely incompetent defensively in the regular season, but the Warrios series was rough on him. That series proved that once you get to that stage, the other team will be exploiting every weakness your team has ruthlessly.

On the other hand, I've noticed a big stagnation problem on offense in playoff series in the Harden era. The role players who rely on getting open kooks get those shots consistently in the regular season, but in the playoffs defenses clamp down, and that's why during stretches in the playoffs it seems fair to wonder how our offense is in contention for 'best of all time'. It seems like other teams invest more in secondary and even tertiary playmakers, but the the Rockets have gone 100% with the philosophy that they want the offense run through their stars, at all times.

Once Chris Paul went down, literally the only guys capable of creating were Harden and Gordon, and they can't create every single play. The wide open looks aren't just going to come easy, so occasionally someone is going to have to step out of their comfort zone and make something happen. The role plays are usually exhausted from giving it all on defense and the nature of our short rotations, so when somebody like Ariza tries to create off the dribble, it's just ugly.

I think Melo helps in those instances, but again, I'm not sure about the defense. He'll never be a plus on that end, but if he can push himself in the conference finals he should be able to get more nimble than a Ryan Anderson or Enes Kanter. We'll see.

Deuce, Hakeemtheking, Bengchu and 3 others like this.
  7. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Does a bear **** in the woods? Of course he'll be in the rotation and he'll be our 2nd leading scorer.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Depends on whether the bear can handle being switched onto Steph Curry on D.

9. rhee

rhee Member

Damn paragraphs and everything

10. rockets13champs

No but your wife will be.

11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

You are assuming he is going to be a Rocket. When did he sign?

12. MonteMelo

MonteMelo Member

You are dumb if you think Melo will play less than 24 minutes against Golden State in a playoff series, seriously. His defence, when he's fully engaged, is extremely underrated. But y'all NBA coaches and GMs gonna find out soon enough.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. MonteMelo

MonteMelo Member

...delete...

14. MonteMelo

MonteMelo Member

And in the meantime @Zboy continues to be the biggest Melo hater on CF.

Dude, we get it, you hate him like he did something bad to you and your family. But you don't need to proove that over and over again on every f**king thread, you know? Other "haters" at least chill sometimes but not you.

I guess you're a big Rockets fan becase you're here since 2002 but I can bet that you would be more happy if in elimination game Melo isolates and misses clutch shot then if he'd hit it. You just plain and simple hate him. Chill dude ffs, you're gonna look so stupid in mid-season.

clutchdabear likes this.
  15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Would work out brilliantly for us.

I would rather have Melo chucking away inefficiently on the Warriors than Curry, Durant, or Klay shooting it.

Warriors are too smart to do it though. They nabbed Cousins at an incredible bargain instead. Notice they are not even looking at Melo. The fact that we are going for him makes it even better for them.

#55 Zboy, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  16. MonteMelo

MonteMelo Member

Hmm interesting. I tried to pull out the same stats for:

Ariza:
    1.00 iso per game
    0.90 pts per possesion
    42.9% score freq.
    44.8 FG
    47.4 EFG

Melo:
    1,50 iso per game
    0.87 pts per possesion
    41.9% score freq.
    38.8 % FG
    43.2 % EFG

Melo (when fully engaged) is much much better defender than given credit for.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  17. MonteMelo

MonteMelo Member

...delete...

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I hope MDA learned from this past year's WCF where he was forced to play a very short rotation because of Luc's injury, Ryno's ineffectiveness, and CP3's injury. Depth was one of the strengths of our teams the last couple of seasons, and not having that depth hurt us in the WCF; our guys ran out of steam. Let's face it, it's always gonna be an extended series playing Golden State, so being able to go the distance is important.

I hope it's not a 6-man rotation; i hope it's an 8-man rotation: Capela, Melo, Tucker, Ennis, Harden, Gordon, CP3, and some mystery player who's not yet on our team ... or perhaps one of our rooks steps up.

and please don't say Gerald Green; he's fine for the regular season rotation, but shouldn't be relied on in a conference finals situation. love the guy, but that's the truth.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

LMAO...

Exactly. I have no idea what goes through people's minds.

20. AKdaDawg

AKdaDawg Member

you and i both homie