1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Les Pay for a 3rd star, Parsons, and Beverley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jan 21, 2014.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Is a pure shooter going to get you much more than 42 percent from the 3 pt line?

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

42% is better than 38%. If chandler gets less than he's worth and we get a third star at a discounted rate, then great, but i think that's highly unlikely. Chandler's looking to get paid in a big way.

We can't have too many cooks in the kitchen. If we can get 3 great ones, then use the rest of the available money to get the right support from top to bottom, rather than wasting a good chunk on another cook and having holes elsewhere.

3. Edward77547

Edward77547 Member

To be honest I would rather get 2-3 good players instead of a star and then we could pay Parsons and Bev. Unless that star is Lebron or KD, I think it would be best to get different pieces that compliment Dwight and Harden. If we do have to pay 3 players the max then our bench would straight up suck we would have players like Ronnie Brewer as our 6th man lol.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Some things to remember:
    - He paid Luis Scola to go away
    - He paid numerous dollars just for the rights to players (2nd rounders for cash)
    - He agreed to pay Lin and Asik both 15 million a pop
    - In the Yao/McGrady years he raked in money on insurance proceeds from injury and still had a playoff team.
    - Last year, a playoff team, our highest paid player was making 6 million dollars. Think about that for a second.

The better question is, what is going to happen to Terrence Jones. Parsons and Beverley can work financially / cap wise with a third star. Jones will not.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He'd have to be in the deal for that third star. Wouldn't have any spots left to work with anyway. We'd have to get a star at the 4.

6. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I think Morey is going to find a way to find some value for Asik and somehow get value out of his contract. Unless this team starts to defend more consistently and players start to take responsibility for missing assignments (looking at Harden) I don't see us signing Parsons for the contract he's due.

Parsons' added a pretty good left handed finish and a more consistent shooting touch behind the 3pt line, but he's not as good a two way player that everyone tries to make him out to be. Which isn't entirely all his fault but he definitely makes more of a consistent effort versus Harden, whom likes to play similar to Lin, who likes to gamble instead of playing solid defense.

I think Les is willing to pay the tax IF we get results in the playoffs. With our talent now we can definitely do some damage but it starts on the defensive end. We all know our team can score with the best of them but what our team hasn't shown is the effort to play defense, night in and night out.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't think that's really how it works.

If you have Beverley, Harden, Parsons, Love (for example), and Dwight, you really don't need a true "bench". Each of these guys will play 36+ minutes and they won't be on court together all the time, ie staggering.

I think you could reasonably see a bench of guys like the following using the MLE, BAE, vet minimums, and rookie contracts:

Aaron Brooks
    Isaiah Canaan
    Shawn Marion
    Jason Smith
    Emeka Okafor

8. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

How is Chandler Parsons not a fringe 3rd star again?

Could Terrence Jones not be far behind?

Is Isiah Canaan the real deal like Morey envisions? Possibly

Do the Rockets need to spend on anything besides an improved bench? Probably not.

Will Asik/Lin being dealt for ideally picks or coming off the books help sign Parsons too whatever contract he's valued at? Yes

Is it better to take the Parsons option after the season making him restricted for free agency? Yes

Would Les pay? Certainly.

Does the NBA even allow rookie scale 2nd rd picks too take extensions before free agency? I think I've heard Morey mentionits against the rules.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the salary cap in 2015 is $65 million, the Rockets could sign Love for his max, and still have Howard, Harden, Jones, Canaan, and Covington under contract. Rockets would retain bird rights to Parsons and Beverley. 3-4 million salary cap increases were normal under 2005 CBA until economic downturn hit. The salary cap should start increasing by about those rates now that 51% of basketball related income is greater than 58 million.

If Parsons and Beverley sign for a combined 15 million, that puts the salary at almost $77 million for an 8 man rotation and 5 roster spot holds of $525K. Rockets have 3 second round picks (maybe 4 if Clippers finish 6-10 best) in 2015 to fill 3 of the roster spots at near 525K. Rockets will have 3 million to spend on 2 guys with taxpayer MLE. That is an 80 million dollar team that is slightly in luxury tax.

Howard, Taxpayer MLE FA1
    Love, Jones
    Parsons, Covington
    Harden, Taxpayer MLE FA2
    Beverley, Canaan

Sprinkle in 3 2nd rounders.

That starting lineup should dominate.

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I could see somebody throw the MLE at Beverley. Agreed about Parsons getting around $10M. I think $11.5M (Batum-money) is the ceiling there.

Harden and Dwight will be making about $40M combined these next few years. Add $10M for Parsons and $5M for Beverley and you're at $55M.
    That leaves about $15M or so to fill out the roster up to luxury tax levels. A bit more, if Les is willing to pay the tax, which I think he is, though I'm guessing not more than about $5M or so.
    Either way, you'd basically have to fill out the roster with minimum guys if you were to add another max guy.
    Adding somebody in the Millsap/Thad Young range would seem to be reasonable though.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Two factor to consider:

1. NBA's income is projected to move up, especially after the current national TV deals with Turner and Disney/ESPN expire in, I think, 2016 or 2017 but even before then. Next year's projected tax line is supposed to be $72M+ I think.

2. Just because you sign guys that out you over the line does mean you are stuck with them forever. The contracts do expire and you can also move them via trade. Dwight Howard is only under contract for 4 years, and can opt out in 3, for example.

The team can very well put itself into tax territory during the time that Harden and Howard are with the team and in their prime but duck under it if this is no longer true.

I don't expect Les to go Prokhorov level crazy with the salaries but there is plenty of room between doing that and being OKC level stingy.

12. munco

munco Member

Chandler is getting more than $10 mill guys.

13. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Bev won't last IMO.

As always with Rockets PG's (in the Morey era), it's Next Man Up.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

I've said this many times and I'll repeat this again. The Repeater Tax is NOT an issue with the Rockets for their current run of Harden/Howard. It requires 3 years of being in the tax in the first place, and Howard's contract runs out before it can take into effect. So in essence Les can easily go all-in for 3 years of contention before worrying about the big tax payments.

Also, the Rockets don't have untradeable players. Nor are Beverley or Parsons untradable even after they get paid. For example, Batum is making $12mil/yr and I bet there's a good market for him if the Blazers want to trade him. Avery Bradley is asking and thinking he can get $8mil/yr. The Rockets are going to win a lot if they get a 3rd star along with Parsons/Bev. So everyone on the team will have a halo effect in terms of perceived value around the league.

In the end I can't know exactly what Les is willing to spend. But I think overall fans are overstating the financial impact of keeping our core+3rd star. It's easily doable for 3-4 years. If it still yields no results by then, Morey can break it up.

15. Fundamental

Fundamental Rookie

its tough to pay a 3rd star, better off getting more depth

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Don't need another star. We need solid players to contribute off of the bench and a consistent stretch 4. This team NEEDS to retain Parsons though, I can't emphasize that enough. He is a player that can easily give us 20ppg. He is averaging 17.6ppg just by being the 3rd option already.

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm wondering how much money Les has, and how much money the team earns every year. Some owners can afford to spend more than others.

18. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Whoa whoa whoa. Third star? Parsons is our third star and I thought Bev was our 4th?

19. Clarinetmonster

What about Jones? I guess we're assuming he'd be gone. The Sell high thing.

20. Clarinetmonster

Sarcasm?? I can't tell anymore :(