1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will LA keep Rice or find a market for him in a sign-and-trade?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mango, Jun 23, 2000.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Rice would like to sign a nice contract and there has been speculation that he will be playing for a team other than the Lakers next season.

The Lakers probably would like to make a few roster changes, but the salary cap is an impediment to that. Trade bait on the team is minimal and they won't be in the lottery in the near future.
    Will Rice be with the Lakers next seaon or
    with another team?

Mango

------------------

Eat more spinach!
    Live long and prosper!
    Donate blood!

Smeg will be assimilated.

Now...back to updating
    The Serious Police Files.

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited June 23, 2000).]

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Mango Salad,

I reckon they will sign and trade Rice, not sure where but you go to think that they want to upgrade the power forward spot and then play Fox more at the 3 spot. Rumour has it a trade for Brian Grant could be an option, now that would be scary, I suppose there only other postion to worry about is PG as Harper will die soon and Jackson doesn't seem to like and play Fischer very much. Antonio Davis has also been mentioned, not sure why the Raptors would want Rice, but may that could work.

So overall it would appear they will trade Rice and Fischer and hopefully get a decent PG and PF in return and then they will just fill the bench with old veterans willing to take minimal money for a great chance to win a title.

Smeg

PS Mango you see my Graham post in the hangout

------------------
    Mango is the Smeg of Bizarro World

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I could see Charlotte being interested in Rice. They've got Mason, Coleman, or Campbell to offer in trade. The Heat might be interested as well, but I don't see any way Riley helps out the Lakers with a trade. No way Portland and LA make a trade, by the way. Portland would let Grant walk before trading him to LA.

------------------
    Too-Rye-Aye!

4. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I see two possiblites with a sign & trade-

1. Rice to Miami for PJ Brown. Miami would love to get him back just for his offense. Lakers need a PF.

2. Rice for Pip. Trade one overpaid SF for another. I am not sure if Portland actually makes the trade, but that would give them a guy, until this year, that took big shots in big games.

------------------

5. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Rice will not be in Laker land next year.

------------------