1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will LA FRONT??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apollo33, May 5, 2009.

1. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I might have been imagining things but I could have sworn I saw Gasol try to front a couple times in the second half. It didn't work out very well.

2. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

You are correct. Gasol is inferior strength wise by a lot to Mr. Yao Ming. Same goes for Bynum. There goes just aren't that strong enough to defend Yao. Przybilla and Oden were well for one their job was to defend Yao the entire time and two they have superior upper body strength not by a lot but they are stronger than Yao in the upper body.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

From what I've heard around the Los Angeles Media and what Phil Jackson said earlier after their practice today, it doesn't look like they will front. It looks like they are satisfied with how they are guarding Yao.. they will make Yao beat them but limit the other players.

4. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

If they keep allowing Yao to catch the ball they will lose the series.

Yao is not Kobe or CP3. The "let him get his" tactic doesn't work because inside-out basketball is fundamentally sound unlike chuck-up 31 shots basketball.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

so true, not fronting is the key to winning the series

6. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

I think we would have to take a drastic lead in the series for them to start fronting.

7. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

I wouldn't say that. Gary Payton said that the Blazers in Game 2 of the Blazers-Rockets series said they should either let Yao Ming get all of his and nobody else get any because he's not like Kobe Bryant or Michael Jordan. He can stop due to stamina, he gets tired a lot easier than Kobe does. Kobe and Jordan are non stop when they score, Yao? He can only stop himself and most big man as well cannot score at a constant rate the only one that could was probably Kareem.

Yao Ming is going to go for 30 if they remain this tactic though, no guarantee there will be a win though.

8. MarsRock

MarsRock Member

Agreed. And Gasol is such a bad chair haha.

9. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

i dont think so, but yao if yao gets it going more the next game? it'll be crucial cuz he got 15 shots the first game

10. igotitmm

igotitmm Member

11. Justified

Justified Member

I think it is the best way to defend Yao, so they will sure to do that. In the series with Portland, we all have seen, when they fronted Yao, he looked so poor. He couldn't have any good solution on it by himself. His teamates should do more for him. To give the ball to him comforbly. And he can do a lotta things, he can shoot, hook, dunk and even get fouled. But I don't think Gasol have enough physical fitness to front Yao all the time. maybe Gasol, Bynum and will do that in turn. But apparently Bynum is not good at it, he looks just like a kid in front of Yao. So Yao must be smart, to make more trouble to Gasol.

12. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Gasol did it occasionally.

But if they decide to front consistently, the most effective fronting person would be Odom.

13. kuneyang

kuneyang New Member

I think front Yao in this series is not so bad.Because AB's speed is better than Fisher.If they front Yao,AB will go inside.So that's not cost-effective for LA.

14. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Will they front?

Or will they just be themselves?

15. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Pick their poison. Front Yao, and the Rockets get free lanes to the hoop all night, AND Yao is in prime offensive rebounding position. Play behind and the Rockets offense runs pretty effectively. When you can be broken down off the dribble like Brooks can do to Fisher it makes a fundementally sound defense have holes. When Artest can get to the rim or at least a good free throw line jumper off at will, it pokes holes in that fundementally sound defense.

16. kwng

kwng Member

I think they will and will continue to do so if it is effective.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

They won't front. Not yet, at least. Jackson said they're sticking to their gameplan until they're convinced it won't work. They'll start fronting when Yao has consistently dominated them.

They'll be more physical today. They'll push him out of the paint and double him hard. But I don't think they'll front.

18. Asian Sensation

It's really a moot question.

As long as AB keeps running the baseline the Lakers are screwed. Front Yao with Gasol and help behind from Bynum or vice versa and that leaves Scola for a wide open 15 footer (he was off in game 1 but that's his money maker and you know he's going to knock that down here on out).

No fronting Yao and he will dominate Gasol or Bynum.

Yao needs to continue to be aggressive and play like he did in game 1 for us to win. With that said, Brooks is the ultimate X-factor in this series. Neither Fisher or Farmar can hang with his speed.

19. Yaospal

Yaospal New Member

I hope they don't front. Portland fronted and we were still able to pull off the series. But against LA I think it will be harder to win with Yao only able to get 5-10 shot attempts. Unless somehow their front isn't as effective as Portlands and Yao is still able to score at will...

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Ariza and Odom fronting can be just as effective as Bynum and Gasol traditional defense, oddly enough.