1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will KJ McDaniels ever crack the rotation here in Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glimmertwins, Jan 11, 2017.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Love Milsap, but don't believe there's a prayer even DM the GM could effect a deal for him.

Gimme Chandler, I could be happy.

Mathloom likes this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The only way I see a Millsap deal (and I agree with malakas, that seems to be a / the target; add "he plays an old man's game, but bla bla he's an enforcer" as another Codman hint) is if Ryan Anderson is amenable to a reunion with Dwight (not that he'd have a choice, but, still...). Otherwise we'd have to gut our team to match salaries (and obviously Morey would do his best to hold onto Trevor just now).

Vivi and malakas like this.
  3. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I think you're misreading me. I'm not saying it's the Rockets fault. I'm saying KJ has wasted his own potential, by not doing all the obvious things you've just said.

D-rock likes this.
  4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Do we really want him to get minutes out there? The only reason we'd want him to get minutes is so we can shop him.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You know, maybe it's my paranoia but...

An Atlanta Hawk
    Plays an old man game
    prepare to lose a lot of heart
    but we need an enforcer
    has his team stab him in the back (last season, and if he's traded this season too)

This is eerily starting to sound like Dwight. And I've always wondered what the hell the Hawks are going to do with him if they're rebuilding. And Harden insisted a couple of times that it wasn't personal, it was just bad vibes and didn't work out. And Howard seems to have accepted that post touches are bye bye.

It can't be right? Please tell me it can't f'in be?!

Actually it can't be, we don't have the salaries to match his contract. Calm down.

6. Chamillionaire

Doing the same things and expecting different results isn't something I'd expect Morey to do and Dwight in LA didn't work out so well in the Anthony's system either. But Morey did bring Ariza back and that has worked out well for us. What the hell do I know.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

3 Rockets coaches have all decided not to play him. MDA would rather play Ennis than KJ. Think about that for a moment. I don't care what is going on with KJ, but if multiple coaches in a position to see him every day in practice (a position none of us are able to be in) decide they should not play him, there is something going on with the kid. Especially with how MDA has turned things around, we should all put some faith in him and realize that KJ is not the player you guys are hoping for him to be.

malakas likes this.
  8. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

Kj played solid early this year. The only reason brewer plays ahead of him is energy and pace. Dantoni has talked about pace the entire year. As bad as brewer can be he brings a energy and pace kj just doesn't have. Kj is a hell of a athlete and isn't a worse shooter than brew , he just plays too slow. You can make an argument that for the 10-15 min that backup wing is going to play , playing mcdaniels over brewer is still the choice to make because of developmental purposes alone. But this team is balling and I see why brewer plays so I'm accepted the fact the kj experiment failed.

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you scared ish out of me now :)

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

This, and i add that maybe, we would do it only if Millsap agrees to a good deal because i don't think we're going to pay him the max or something close to it for 4 years, but that's just me...and i would love to have Millsap here but, just saying.

11. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

You don't know what the hell you're talking about. First of all, I am "urban" (who even says that besides Trump). My analysis has nothing to do with how KJ looks physically smh. Secondarily, Tony Allen is STILL elite and will AGAIN be on the 1st or 2nd all-defensive team. Like the last two years... http://www.nba.com/history/all-defensive-teams/
    Tony Allen is CURRENTLY ranked FIRST in defensive efficiency rating in the entire NBA at his position. http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/2

I hope KJ ups his basketball IQ and becomes the next Tony Allen. I hope you up your IQ as well Go Rockets!

#131 RocketsTerps, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  12. malakas

malakas Member

whether we have the assets for it or not, I still believe that Codman means Millsap in his post.

He has hinted in the past to other players that I also believed that objectively we had never the assets to acquire.
    Now Chandler sure is an option too. Just don't see how cods post relates to him.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Something wrong with this kid. Either he doesn't suck up enough to the coaches or bones their significant others or just doesn't show enough in practice. Two garbage coaches McFail and BJ and now a real coach in Mike Anthony have not played him.

At some point, he has to look at himself.

RocketsTerps likes this.
  14. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Based on Codman's hints I thought it was Millsap as well. This trade would certainly force us to separate from part of our heart... http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z4qp8as

If it included Beverly or Ariza I say no way unless it's for Jimmy Butler or Paul George.

malakas and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  15. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

I liked what KJ did in garbage time vs the Nets

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Hints are fine; to give up major assets on a chemistry driven successful unit for a player in a walk year? Would Milsap's addition even withOUT major losses increase the odds v SAS + GSW in spring enough to matter?

Chandler may have not been Cod'd, but xiki'd, yes (on my 'wish' list).

malakas likes this.
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'd love to see a bit of game time success rather than just garbage time for KJ to demonstrate what he apparently has not done to date in practice time.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Just to answer this hypothetical, yes of course we would easily eclipse a SAS team that has barely clawed 2 of 3 games from us and sits just a game or 2 ahead of us with an easier schedule thus far.

As for GSW, again, yes it would increase the odds. We are not going to get 2 superstars on this team, if that's what we're waiting for we might as well tank till those guys retire.

You can beat the Warriors without a super team, I have no doubt about that, and it's exactly players like Millsap who make things like that possible. Guys who play hard, score efficiently on a decent volume, defend very very well, and willing passers. You are really underrating Millsap imo.

This is all hypothetical though, if the Hawks were going to trade him for nothing, why not just wait for him to expire?

RocketsTerps likes this.