1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will it ever end?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by plcmts17, Aug 27, 2007.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You said release.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what is it about the demlib response to this story, and there obsession with republican homosexuality? i mean, i understand there's a bit of gaydenfreude in this case, but aren't demlibs supposed to be the more tolerant, understanding party, concerned about issues of privacy, due process, compassion and understanding? a more sour group of individuals i've never met, their predominate emotion seems to be petulant b****iness, except when a republican is caught out, in which case there's undisguised glee at his misfortune. no wonder hillary's leading the pack, she's raised petulant b****iness to a political art form.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Well.....

It seems that with Republican Senators and Congressmen, the louder they rant about the sanctity of marraige or their opposition to a gay lifestyle, the more they are caught sending explicit messages to male Pages or getting arrested for lewd conduct.

I guess blind partisanship has torched your hypocracy radar, eh blasto?

At least Bill Clinton fooled around with women, unlike your closeted gay Republican friends! :D

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

voting record of Sen. Larry Craig:

* 1996: Voted YES on the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) prohibiting
    same sex marriage.
    * 2000: Voted NO on expanding hate crimes to include sexual orientation.
    * 2002: Voted NO on adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes.
    * 2002: Rated 25% by the ACLU, indicating an anti-civil rights voting
    record.
    * 2006: Voted YES on constitutional ban of same-sex marriage.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Guys, I had 12 hours in the "amount of time it takes basso to turn this thread into characterizing democrats as gay bashers" pool. As an ONLINE OPINION LEADER, he was bound to go into spin mode sometime.

Basso, the democrats could bash gays from here to provincetown and still be miles behind the party and president to whom you have declared your undying lifepartnership in that area.

Sorry, it sucks, but that is the kind of breathing space you get when you have the gall to not introduce a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

but he never voted NO, on banging or being attracted to the same sex :)

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

basso, I'm surprised you can't fathom how maddening it is to have listened and watched Republicans of the far-right, religious-right gender treat the gay community like crap, accuse Democratic candidates of every sort of BS, without proof and gleefully made up, and then see the same idiots get caught doing the very thing they falsely attack Democrats of doing. This incredible, shameless display of double standards has been going on for years. Anyone recall Mister Virtue, Bill Bennett, getting caught losing millions in Vegas gambling, while making a financial killing selling books, tapes, and videos to kids telling them the "right way to live?" Don't you ever stop to think, basso, just how hypocritical a lot of the politicians and "pundits" are that you've joined yourself at the hip with? Obviously not, or you just don't give a damn. I think you just don't give a damn. The enemy of your enemy is your friend, no matter how hypocritical and demented they are. That's your philosophy here. Continue to revel in it.

D&D. Impeach Bush and Cheney.

8. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

They are, it just happens that repervicons get caught because they think they are above all that stuff. Don't think so?

At one point during the interview, Craig handed the plainclothes sergeant who arrested him a business card that identified him as a U.S. Senator and said, "What do you think about that?" the report states.

9. basso

Supporting Member

yes, yes it has

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Get a grip, Deck. No, not that one...

It's less than a handful (not that one either) who have been caught up in any of this yet you are all so eager to extrapolate it to the party entire.

Where's the compassion for a man so conflicted? Gee, from the responses here you'd think there was something wrong with being gay. You do realize that you are celebrating a man getting arrested for trying to get some action with another guy?

Some lib you are... :D

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I think that was meant to make him hot... ever heard of Potomac Fever?

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

He's not gay, he just has a wide stance.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

:D It gets even better, since dude is a "former rancher," according to CNN.

cue the Brokeback Stall, Brokestance Mountain, "Why can't I quit you?" jokes.

I guess, as a lib, no I don't feel sympathy for one individual's hypocrisy and self-hatred, when he's made life worse for the many, via his voting record. I'm kind of utilitarian, in that way.

But hey, he's recanted:
    "I did nothing inappropriate" (CNN)

Maybe he plead guilty so they'd release him to run back to the stall and finish taking a dump. :confused:

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

You are missing the point, as usual giddyup.

If Repubs want to run around wearing mini-skirts, that's fine by me. Just don't run on a platform of "family values".

btw, it is MORE than a handful and the rate at which Repubs are falling seems to be quickening now that the Dems are in control. THAT is why balance of power is important. You'll have nutty people on both sides of the isles but it won't get flushed out if one party is in control. Too much vested interest in maintaining their own power.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I have no sympathy for the dude just for being a dummy. Come on now...I said I was guilty then but I didn't mean it? That's the best excuse you and your team can come up with? really though....

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

giddy, the last thing I'm doing is celebrating the sexual hang-ups of this chump. And I said "Republicans of the far-right, religious-right gender," which was my sincere attempt to separate idiots like this guy from people like you. As for gripping of various body parts, and other, more interesting activities, I defer to my wife, the resident expert. ;)

D&D. Impeach Goofus, His Demented Friend, and Other Hypocritical GOP Chumps!

Free giddy!!!

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :D

D&D. Impeach Goofus, His Demented Friend, and Other Hypocritical GOP Chumps!

Free giddy!!!

18. basso

Supporting Member

http://varifrank.com/archives/2007/08/in_defense_of_l.php

[rquoter]In Defense of Larry Craig

Here’s what I learned when I read the police report on Larry Craig

1. Whatever you do when you are on a layover between flights, don’t use public bathrooms before you get on the next flight. Clearly, that is a sign that you are looking for anonymous gay sex, because no one in his right mind would use a public bathroom for any other purpose.

2. If you enter the bathroom and all the stalls appear to be full, don’t stand outside and tap your foot. While in some cultures looking at your watch at tapping your foot is a way of showing that you are anxious and perhaps ready to explode your bowels all over the floor, in Minneapolis it means only one thing, you want anonymous gay sex.

3. If you really, really have to go, and you are not really sure that there is someone inside the stall or not, whatever you do, don’t investigate further by trying to look inside. Clearly, that can only be read as a sign that you want anonymous gay sex.

4. If you get inside a stall, and you have your roll-on flight bag with you, be sure to hold it over your head while you sit on the toilet because if you place your bag in front of you, that can only mean one thing, you want anonymous gay sex.

5. If you find yourself frustrated and angry that the geniuses in the janitorial staff has set the ultra mega large roll of toilet paper in such a way that despite the fact that the roll is the diameter of a watermelon, it still only dispenses one square of toilet paper at a time, whatever you do, don’t fumble around trying to get more toilet paper, because if your fingers manage to appear on the bottom of the wall, it clearly can mean only mean one thing to the person next to you; that you want anonymous gay sex.

6. If a man in the bathroom takes you by the arm and tells you to come with him and flashes what looks like a badge, it usually means he’s really a policeman, and not the kind in "The Village People". Do not react in a late middle age homophobic way and get all bothered because you think for just a second that someone might think “you’re gay too”(oh heaven forbid!), just stand up straight and answer the man’s questions. Seriously, you’re in your 60’s Mr. Craig, I can assure you that no one is hitting on you.

7. If you have a choice between missing a flight and getting a lawyer to help you address the charges against you, heres a helpful bit of advice, get the lawyer – miss the flight. Chances are Senator, the local police force is counting on you and many others doing exactly what you did, pay the fine, and then (you’ll excuse the pun) - blow out of town.

Is there such a thing as entrapment? Do policeman lie? Do they bend the truth? Do DA’s get overactive and push prosecution of cases when the politics of the matter fit their particular template? If you say no, then I got some phone numbers of a bunch of college students who went to a party one night in North Carolina and nearly went to prison over it. Their lawyers and their families can tell you stories about how an entire legal system fell around their heads one night and how the press tried and convicted these young men, despite the fact that there was never any evidence of any sort of crime.

But unlike you, they were smart enough to get lawyers. Imagine if they hadn’t, and trusted the police and the DA, like you did...

Senator, if I was on your jury, I don’t see enough in this case to convict you of much of anything, I don’t see you soliciting sex or anything else close to it. According to this paperwork you to me look like a befuddled airline traveler trying to do his business in a dignified way in an undignified place.

Unfortunately there’s never going to be a case because you decided to pay the fine and admit to something that is quite a bit more than what I see reflected on the paperwork in front of me. That of course, isn't stopping the press from making you out to be "The Idaho Caligula", but that's the press for you, they dont let facts get in the way of a good story.

I’m going to take a guess here and think that you got more than a bit flustered, you got yourself in front of a whole lotta policeman who said a whole lotta things that you considered very unseemly, and considering that you’ve spent the last year getting chased around by the worst sort of slander about your very personal sex life, for just a moment there you saw your life go before your eyes. While you sat there in that little room with the hidden camera going, you stared into the two way mirror for a second when one of the helpful policemen probably leaned across the table and offered you a way out. “Just plead to the lesser crime and no one would be the wiser,” he said quietly, grasping your arm and looking into your eyes. You leaped at it, you had to, after all of the scenarios of disaster running through your head, it sounded good and after all Senator, in your experience policeman are always fine people, the nice one that offered you the deal probably seemed like a real nice guy, unlike that effeminate little bug-eyed man who arrested you.

I could be wrong because after all, the evidence presented to me wasn’t in a court of law but from a website called ‘the smoking gun”. The policeman who filed the paperwork may be a lot more convincing in person than his notes appear to me to be. That doesn’t mean I think the Minneapolis Police are lying or that they have some hidden agenda here, because I dont.

I think that policemen are just people and people make mistakes. That's why we have courts and an adversarial legal system, Mr. Craig. Its just a shame you didn't use it for this case.

Did he lie? Don’t know. Did you lie? Don’t know. But I’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, Senator. Its my opinion, before you go tromping over a mans life, the evidence needs to be a little bit more than what I see presented here.

Oh, and Senator, I don’t care if you’re gay or not. It's 2007, who isn't gay? If that bugs you, that's your problem. What this whole adventure does convince me of, is that you most certainly are a complete blithering idiot of the first order and that’s what should matter the most to the people of Idaho and not your sex life one way or the other.

Don't run for re-election. Take your retirement, and get some therapy, ok?[/rquoter]

pretty much sums up my feelings of the whole affair.

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

The great "I didn't do anything wrong!" but I plead guilty and admit all statements on the police reports are true defense is really going to help this person. :p

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Amen to that. If he doesn't just go away, however, I predict the investigation from the Senate Ethics committee will turn up more.

As for the written report, the two most damning bits, other than the famous ones: he's trying repeatedly to look through a crack to the stall next door (why, if he's just fumbling around?), and he did not flush.

You have to give the cops a tiny bit of credit. This is probably not their first arrest of this type, and a sad sack undercover guy with this duty (can you imagine that dude's job? talk about drawing the short straw) has seen dozens of *normal* stall visits.