1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Houston Ever be a Great City Again?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cleveland and Detroit were top cities from the 1920s through the 1960s. Once both cities industries moved elsewhere, neither city has come close to recovering economically. People came to Houston in the 70s and 80s from Cleveland and Detroit because Houston was cheap and prosperous. If Harvey dampens the prosperity, and its floods ruined the cheap places to live, what else does Houston have to offer? It'll stay the oil capital of the world even if it does fall from lustor, but even Detroit still retained its identity as the motor city.

I guess my fear is that people will be less likely to pour in new investments outside of the energy sector which will ultimately hurt Houston in the long run. A successful Houston has a vibrant and diverse economy.

But it's a fear and it's not based on any special knowledge or insight. I still wish Houston surpasses both LA and Chicago in the next 5 years.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Their economies never had the impact that Houston's does, it's not even close. Houston is home to the 2nd most Fortune 500 companies in the nation, is 1 of the nation's fastest growing cities, and is 1 of the most diverse cities in America.

I can bring up other stuff like this

""Greater Houston is a major engine of the U.S. economy," IHS Markit says. Its port is the second-busiest in the United States. Its two airports handle 26 million passengers a year. And its world-class cancer center processes 13,000 cases a week, many of them booked by patients flying in from abroad.

If it were an independent country, Houston would boast the world's 23rd-biggest economy, just below Sweden and just above Poland."

Will Harvey affect Houston? Yes, any major city would get affected after a hurricane like that, but u don't go from stuff like this to becoming a Detroit or Cleveland.