1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Houston Ever be a Great City Again?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

3 major floods in the last 3 years.
    Memorial day, Tax Day, Harvey.

BigShasta likes this.
  2. the shark

the shark Member

"I dislike how hideous this city is with all the concrete everywhere".

So you're going to move to NYC of all places?

You've obviously NEVER been to NYC, because outside of Central Park the city is practically completely concrete. I lived in Manhattan for four years.

3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Some will, and some won't. Hopefully the companies that adapt are the ones based in Houston.

4. nono

nono Member

I have. I know it's hideous there in many places. Bushwick looks like a third world country. I have lots of friends and family there. Overall I think it's a better place to be than Houston. At least for me.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Houston could do better in many ways. Oh well.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You don't have to like Houston..... that's completely your right. But LOL at moving out of Houston because of urban sprawl, traffic, weather, and concrete. ......and going to NEW YORK of all places.

LonghornFan and Torn n Frayed like this.
  7. the shark

the shark Member

I never said NYC was "hideous". It's a fantastic city!!! You said Houston was "hideous because of all the concrete everywhere" when that's practically all NYC is.

8. theimpossibles1

Please don't post a thread when a stupid thought pops into your mind. Again? Houston is a great city right now.

macho GRANDE and codell like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's kind of humorous reading threads like this, because I read it on pretty much every big city forum. LA, Chicago, New York, etc. all have reasons why people can't wait to leave and "that other place" is better. :D What it really is, I think is that people change as they get older or as their life situations change and so what they want out of life changes. In other cases, I think it's just a human thing to become bored with whatever you've become accustomed to.

I can't stand big cities anymore and would rather live on a couple of acres of land in the open country where I can take long drives with little traffic. Instead, I'm in suburban hell in Dallas where there is nothing but a concrete jungle. The only reason I stay is for my job. I've even gotten to the point where I don't think that's worth staying. Move to New York, LA, Chicago, etc? Hell no. Done with big cities.... at least I think so. Give me something like open country in Colorado, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc. I'd much prefer that. If you had asked me if I would've liked living in places like that when I was in my 20's I would've laughed. Back then I wanted to live in a high-rise in the middle of any city. lol.

Just sayin'... perspectives change. :)

10. nono

nono Member

Seattle is really beautiful if you like greenery. But it's really expensive too.

11. nono

nono Member

It's hideous but maybe hideous was the wrong word for me to use. I think soulless would be better. Houston doesn't really have a sense of identity/vibe compared to other cities. It's just cheap and has jobs.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think Houston will always be a great city. But I think the multinational corporations will think twice about setting up base over here. I certainly wouldn't unless there was a strategic reason to be close to Latin America. That being said, I moved out of the city almost 9 years ago and don't really miss it, but I do enjoy visits back home to see all the new development.

BigShasta and nono like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Don't want to criticize the OP b/c he says he is headed to Houston to help with recovery. That's amazing, and he has a long way to travel.

All that said, I do have to wonder if this is premature when the city and its citizens (and clutch posters) may be hurting pretty badly, with water still yet to crest in places.

I understand the motivation of the thread, but I think Houston will come back strong. What I don't yet see is how to prevent a repeat of bad flooding though, even if not this bad; that will be the big key.

Best wishes all.

Richie_Rich and DoitDickau like this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The best part about Houston is the people. Secondary to that is the ease of living due to the low cost. You get plenty of big city amenities (good selection of restaurants, good entertainment options, and pro sports franchises) and don't have to pay a big city price for them. The reason it's so cheap is that the weather is not very good, it's really spread out, and the city as a whole is very generic. There is nothing differentiating Houston from a lifestyle standpoint. Other places just offer more from a lifestyle standpoint.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nah... too much population and too centered around tech. I'm done with all that. If I wanted something like that, I could just move to Austin, or something. Well, minus the great scenery, maybe. Nope... I'd rather have seasons, a view, a population around 10k-100k and not be living on property I can high-five my neighbor everytime I turn, and not be stacked on top of each other because 0.1 acre costs $500,000 - $1,000,000. I don't mind spending the money, but not so I can live like a sardine in a can. Not to mention, I know as soon as I move up there Mt. Rainier would blow up, take half the country with it, and ruin my damn day. :mad:

CometsWin and macho GRANDE like this.
  16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

So you're going to move to NYC?

To get away from then concerte jungle?
    To get away from transportation issues?

Wut.

Also, it's amusing when people complain about a lack of winter. Ask people in places where they have to deal with shitty winter storms how they feel about winter.

You sound like you have no idea what you would be getting yourself into.

LonghornFan, jbasket and nono like this.
  17. Bob Barker 007

As someone who lives in the DFW area as well, you are more likely burned out of the disingenuous nature of the DFW area than of all cities. It's hilarious when people say Dallas is a better city. Dallas's central area is so small compared to Houston that the potential is nearly maxed out already. And then around it, you have hideous, massive suburbs like Arlington. Houston has plenty of room to grow in its downtown areas, and I expect big things to come.

18. the shark

the shark Member

Maybe you're the one that doesn't have a "sense of identity"' and are trying to find it in a city of all places instead of within?

I wish you well in NYC and hope you find what you're looking for.

19. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Can't believe some of the responses in this thread. Our freeways would only benefit from you people leaving. Bye Felicia

LonghornFan and macho GRANDE like this.
  20. nono

nono Member

thank you.