1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Harden break the record for turnovers? [2016-2017]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Oct 31, 2016.

?

Will Harden break the turnovers record for a regular NBA season?

Poll closed May 1, 2017.
  1. Yes

64 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    19.1%
  3. I don't care

46 vote(s)
    33.8%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's looking like he will also lead the league in assists. Obviously his assist numbers will stabilize, but right now I can't imagine him getting less than 10 a game.

2. amaru

amaru Member

Hopefully that keeps up!

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I dunno if he'll be able to, he may have set too high of a bar for even him to reach last season. No one has ever had that much trouble with ball control in the history of the league, I'm not sure he has it in him to be even worse this season.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Possum

Possum Member

The question should be, will he break the record for assist?

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Don't really care.

The man is a genius. Even if he fails, he develops weapons. If he can be harder on himself , we'll see great things sooner or later.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

12 APG, and 5TO - I will take that all year long.

DD

amaru and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

If gets it down to 3.5 or 4 then we are golden

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Even 10 & 5 is very adequate.

I think he winds up averaging over 4 to a Game but doesn't break the record. With his increased rule and usage along with his assist numbers he will be very much so a top tier pg and plenty capable of a championship caliber playmaker, no matter what jopatholic says.

9. basketballholic

We still need a primary playmaker so Harden can drop his turnovers, score more, and still have decent assist totals with a great a/to ratio.

10. vator

vator Contributing Member

After this game he pretty much has the same assist to turnover ratio as Westbrook. Through 4 games...11.8 assists to 5 turnovers which I will take all day long and twice on Sunday. Westbrook through 3 games is at 11.7 assists and 4.7 turnovers. Going into tonight Harden is leading the NBA in assists and Westbrook is 2nd. Both putting up ridiculous stat lines of over 30 points per game and PERs over 30 as well. Hard to imagine what that Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka team could have done had they not been broken up.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets need another playmaker but it doesn't have to be "primary." Just another shot creator. Someone that can dribble drive and be a threat to score or collapse the defense and pass out.

12. basketballholic

You're describing Bev.

In the Harden era we have consistently undervalued the premier playmaking distributor, the player who is an efficient expert at handling the ball without turning it over who can dribble through 5 defenders and find his teammates with ultra accurate passes. We keep deferring to Harden mute and more and becoming more Harden-centric.

It makes for fun games and gaudy Harden stat lines. But at the end of the day we continue to see too many turnovers and worse defense from our leader whose excuses becomes louder and louder each season that he can't do everything and his offensive burden Is so great that he's too tired to D up.

And each season of the Harden era continues to end in disappointment while his box score numbers climb higher.

I'm about the team winning. Harden is a great player. Love to watch him do his thing. But LeBron couldn't win in Cleveland by himself. Neither can Harden win here by himself. He has to accept the help, let us acquire the necessary pieces, then modify his game so he is a balanced player that defends his position in an effective team way and then makes massive offensive contributions while allowing other great players to do their thing as well.

Harden needs to accept a premier distributor playing alongside him. These band aids we keep running out there around him aren't working. Now we're down to zero playmakers on the team besides Harden. If Harden goes down, this team wont be able to play above .350 ball.

That's where we are at today. It has to change or Hardens prime years will be wasted.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I disagree that it has to be a primary all handler. Harden needs more support for sure and a second star would help a lot.

In Miami the big three thrived without having the type of player you describe above. Kobe and Shaq never really had that kind of guy either. Teams can be built in different ways.

Harden is fine as the primary ball handler and he would be even better if he had a legit 2nd star on the team capable of creating offense as well as he does or close to it.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

For reference on just how golden those numbers are:

Since the stats have been available only Stockton has averaged 12 or more assist with 3.5 or less turnovers over an entire season(did it 6 times) and if you bump that to 4 turnovers or less per game you bring in Stockton 2 more times Magic 4 times and one season each by Zeke and Kevin Johnson.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No, Bev is not a drive and score (or pass) type player. He is more spot up shooter in a Harden lead offense.

The player I am describing is Sergio Llull. You can play him as Harden's PG/backup or with Harden as a secondary creator.

16. basketballholic

Llull is not coming. We shouldn't wait for him to show up in 2023 when he's over the hill to win a championship.

hvic likes this.
  17. hvic

hvic Member

man Llull fans are getting kinda delusional and becoming like LOF. Llull is not coming here

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Harden can be the primary playmaker/ball handler and he should.

Thai team would be better adding Paul gorge or Demarcus cousins rather than Chris Paul.

I don't see how that's even debatable from holic.

We need another star to play second fiddle to harden while also being able to retain Anderson and Gordon if we can do that this team would be a contender and can actually win a championship.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The pipe-dream guy that I think would be perfect would be Anthony Davis, but he won't even be on the market for another 2 years. If Morey pulled that one off though, the NBA may ban him for the hoodwinking.

20. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Westbrook 10 turnovers, 0-7 threes. Watch media proclaim him as MVP