1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Gordon start this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DM'sVP, Aug 31, 2018.

?

Do you think Gordon will start?

1. Hell yes!

17 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. By the end of the season, yes

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. His best role on the Rockets is 6th man

124 vote(s)
    85.5%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

#41 J.R., Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    D-rock, JW86, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Makes sense to me. I always thought that EG would be excellent in the starting line up.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

though not as versatile as last season defensively, it still surrounds harden with 4 guys who are able to be plus defenders

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

did anyone take you up on this and is it too late ;):)

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Sounds like some final trade posturing if you ask me:rolleyes:

hakeem94, D-rock, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  7. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Coincidentally this is headline news right before a Butler trade.

Don't think Gordon wouldn't approve of being a guaranteed starter in Minnesota. Not that the Rockets need his approval, but historically speaking, DM tries to make it so the person being traded is going to a good situation. He's also the quietest/stays to himself mostly, and the Rockets core wont feel like they're losing a friend.

Win-win

#47 BasketballMind, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Not a bad idea, but it reeks of coordinated PR fluff to ensure Gordon doesn't get his confidence shot like Anderson. Why would the team even bother to mention this to the press lol.

Does indicate to me that we're out of the Butler sweepstakes though.

9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Some thoughts on this structurally though:

Harden and Gordon have already both sacrificed and came off the bench for their team. Makes it easier to suggest that Melo do it when it’s coming from people who have themselves.

Also, baiting Melo with the promise of more shots with the bench unit is a significant carrot to dangle.

I don’t remember who I was debating with about Covington coming off the bench for Philly, but pairing Ennis and Melo is similar to the vision I had laid out for pairing Covington with Saric/McConnell/Bayless/Amir to mask some defensive deficiencies there. Other team’s second units typicall only have one real “scoring threat” guy, and if you have one wing to cover him the rest can be mitigated with good transition def and solid rim protection.

heypartner likes this.
  10. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

11. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

CALLED IT!!!

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

In all fairness, the press surely asked about Gordon's role this year, considering he's the main guy mentioned in all the trade rumors.

So the team probably wasn't volunteering the info out of the blue, but merely responding to a question.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Could be true, but when it's not part of Q&A and shows up as "Sources say" it is pretty much the team volunteering information imo.

I'm not mad they're doing it. They seem to have mishandled Ryno, his confidence didn't have to be shot that bad, and I don't care if he should have been mentally stronger. The management's job is to get the most out of their players and win the championship, a confident Ryno - who started all of 2017-2018 and half of 2018-2019 on potent Rockets teams - could have helped off the bench against the Warriors if he weren't demolished. It's easy to say it's on the player - and I agree with that - but I only care about wins and they should do whatever it takes to win more.

It's good that they're learning from their mistakes. Gordon when motivated is an excellent piece who does damage against the Warriors. I've been touting the idea of starting him since we lost Ariza. But I see him guarding 2's while Harden will guard the lesser of the two forwards. Harden often plays better defensively against bigger guys and that move alone (putting him on big wings and stretch 4's) is likely to reduce our defensive bleeding. Gordon is more than capable of guarding the lesser of the opponent's PG/SG. As a unit, I like how that would work.

DreamShook likes this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think Gordon starting is probably our best 5 , but I'm curious what that does to backup guard minutes . knight isn't healthy and we have to keep James and Chris' minutes down .... having Gordon play big minutes off the bench is one way to do that . Not saying we can't figure out how to manage mins if he starts ..... just that it will be harder .

Right now I think the odds for the starting "3" are split evenly between 3 people . Ennis , Melo , and Gordon all have a good shot at "winning" the job . Also I think that the starter could definitely change .

Soneca likes this.
  15. Soneca

Soneca Member

I like the idea also and share the same concerns. I'd guess the rotation (without Knight) would be something like this:

PG: CP3 30, JH 18
    SG: EGo 32, JH 6, GG 10
    SF: JH 8, JE 26, GG 14
    PF: PJ 22, Melo 26
    C: CC 30, PJ 10, Nene/Chriss 8

That would give the 3 guard lineup about 8 min togheter. Also, Melo would play only at the 4 spot, as coach MDA hinted.

Knight could eventually eat up minutes from every guard and wing (CP3, EGo, JH, JE and GG).

If (huge IF that I don't expect to happen) we get Butler, just plug him instead of EGo and the rotation remain the same.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

the backup guard minutes go to GG who gets a bigger role this year and potentially a few to MCW w/ Knight being out for now

hakeem94 and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree with you that it's up to management to find a way to get the most out of everyone on the roster. In Ryno's case, though, I don't know how realistic it was. I think what did him in was us becoming more and more dependent on our switch-everything defense as the season progressed, and Ryno knowing that he just doesn't have the skills as a defender to do well at all in that scheme. When his job was hitting threes and grabbing a few rebounds while guarding a slow-footed PF, he was fine. Once he had to try to keep up with Curry, Wall, Lilliard, etc. on the perimeter, he quickly became a lost soul.

I'm still baffled by how much that affected his willingness to shoot, but it almost seemed like his realization that he had such a lack of modern defensive skills made him question his abilities as a player in general. One of the saddest seasons I've seen from a Rocket, because I really liked Ryno and his offensive game fit very well in MDA's system.

Mathloom likes this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

How long have you been sitting on that quote!?

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

randomly came across it today :D

DreamShook likes this.
  20. Pringles

Pringles Member

Once he's traded to Minnesota....