1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Fuller - Texans 1st round pick, 21st overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 28, 2016.

?

Do you agree with this pick?

1. YES

77.4%
  2. NO

22.6%
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Wow, that's awesome!! I admit I didn't watch him much, so I don't really know. But I definitely like the idea of a guy who can blow the top off defenses and keep 'em honest.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'll tell you my opinion on this pick in 2 years. Until then, you can't really judge a draft pick.

I will say that I'm not at all worried about the 6th round pick we gave up to get him coming back to haunt us. LOL.

I'm willing to bet that 90% of people who are worried about his drops have never even seen him play. They're just going by what's been written about him by other people, a lot of whom have never seen him play either.

That's just the way it is with all of these prospects getting over-analysed by so many "experts." It's always fun to go back and read their analysis from 3 or 4 years ago. It's almost always wrong, but no one ever calls them on it because everyone's already moved on to the next draft.

Hell, I'm just glad we didn't draft another pass rusher in the 1st round.

3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Also, let's do a quick analysis on the players Fuller has been compared to. First, Fuller's career stats over three seasons:

144 receptions, 2512 yards (17.4 yds/catch), 30 TDs

Career college stats for (all over three seasons):
    Darrius Heyward-Bey: 138 receptions, 2089 yards (15.1), 13 TDs
    Ted Ginn Jr.: 135 receptions, 1943 yards (14.4), 15 TDs
    Stephen Hill: 49 receptions, 1248 yards (25.5), 9 TDs
    Corey Coleman: 173 receptions, 3009 yards, 33 TDs

Fuller had as many/more TDs in ONE SEASON than Heyward-Bey or Hill had in their entire careers. He damn near put up Coleman numbers in an offense that is nowhere near as prolific as Baylor.

Again, it needs to be emphasized: This was not a mediocre college WR who caught everyone's attention with a good 40 time. This was a guy who week-in and week-out was unquestionably one of the most feared wide-outs in the country. Yes, he drops some passes. But he still scored thirty touchdowns. THIRTY.

2 people like this.
  4. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I'm willing to bet it's upward of 99%. The blowhard is strong in this thread.

5. htown1984

htown1984 Member

I loved this pick.. Finally the Texans can strtch the field: Something that needed
    to be done when AJ was the # 1..

so how about we sign AJ to play WR with us now?

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

TBH, I wanted the Texans to draft a speed WR (preferred Coleman, but I also understand Fuller ran an expanded route package, so I am OK with him instead). And I really don't care about a late 2017 pick.

My biggest concern is seeing him catch so many passes with his body. He even used his body on deep passes. Seems kid-like. Hopefully he strengthens his hands and learns to catch more with his hands extended since the DBs he will be facing will be much tighter than he faced in college and I suspect there will be more of an effort to give him a pop across the middle to see what happens.

7. htown1984

htown1984 Member

yes i believe the same- this guy is a game changer with his play making ability.

I think he can be a stud like Desean Jackson was in Philly.

Give the kid a chance guys- Hes with the Texans now and actually wanted to be here
    lets support him not bash the pick

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Do you guys really care if he catches TDs with his hands or his body? I don't.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wonder what his number will be? 7 isn't currently being used by anyone on the team. Is that a number available to WRs? It must be since we already have a 10 and an 11.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Honestly, that guy may very well be Lamar Miller. With Hopkins and Fuller demanding attention downfield, underneath could very well be a vacant lot for Miller. I'm also guessing they'll look for a TE, too, who could obviously benefit from two stud WRs pushing a defense.

If they had drafted Fuller to be WR1, maybe. But the Texans have a WR1 I'd put up against anybody else's WR1 in football. This is about orchestrating an offensive attack; I don't know much - well, about any of these guys. But if Doctson isn't a speed burner, he's not a fit opposite Hopkins. They needed a guy who could scare the **** of of defensive coordinators; our very own TY Hilton.

11. Buck Turgidson

WRs are 10-19 and 80-89. QB/K/P are the only ones who can wear single digits.

12. mikus

mikus Member

When looking at College WRs I like to see actual production vs just good Combine numbers. Fuller seems to have both, so I am optimistic.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If we're going to be throwing the ball 40+ times a game, then I like this pick.

Brock has an enormous arm, and Hop is already a top 5 guy.

Fuller's ceiling is probably Chad Johnson, while his floor is likely Doug Baldwin.

Insane vertical, elite speed, but lacking in durability/size and focus.

I think it will take a couple of years, but he and Hop should develop into the NFL's premier 1-2 WR punch.

14. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I've only seen the two game videos posted here. It worries me that he does not attack the ball on short routes. This seems to be related to the fact likes to catch the ball underhanded, with his body, too much. And that leads to drops. He looks great on deep balls tough.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> top <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/draft?src=hash">#draft</a> pick ND WR Will Fuller dons his new <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans">@HoustonTexans</a> cap as he arrives in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Houston?src=hash">#Houston</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonChron">@HoustonChron</a> <a href="https://t.co/oXMIvXSvWz">pic.twitter.com/oXMIvXSvWz</a></p>&mdash; Brett Coomer (@coomerchron) <a href="https://twitter.com/coomerchron/status/726040494636064769">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I've watched his games online.

I'm not going to Bobbythegreat and bash him 20 times a day for the next two years, but there is a lot of concern about what you see when you watch him on tape. Even Lance, who loves the pick, rated his hands a 5 or 6 out of 10. He also doesn't show a lot of shiftiness or quick twitch skills in the open field.

I hope to be wrong about him just like I hoped to be wrong about Jaelen Strong. I have no interest in his failure.

17. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Should have drafted Treadwell. He's just better overall IMO.

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

It's more like Fuller's hands are TBD as opposed to Fuller has no hands. He never uses his hands. All body catches. Even short crossing routes with the gal, placed in front of him, he tries to make overhead basket catches. So weird.

He'll be doing overhead basket catches in the deep routes anyway. But it's not hard to see him become a reliable catcher simply by improving his situational technique.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">TD Reception by Will Fuller at Notre Dame this past season went the following:<br><br>66, 59, 39, 46, 66, 30, 75, 47, 46, and 73 yards.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/726049190363570176">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Will Fuller will be introduced today around 1 pm. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/726040646465654784">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>