1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Fuller - Texans 1st round pick, 21st overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 28, 2016.

?

Do you agree with this pick?

1. YES

77.4%
  2. NO

22.6%
  1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you're underestimating the ego's of several cf.net personas. i know for a fact several folks posting in here would love nothing more than their bust predictions to come true so they can come trash the organization and anyone who's outlook was different. they've bookmarked this thread in hopes that he flames out, some maybe have already written their i told you so posts.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Maybe. If so, that's just pathetic. I see a lot of Mack vs Clowney, Sua Filo vs Carr vs Bridgewater so I see what you're saying. But I do appreciate some of ottomaton's analysis and views whether I agree with them or not. I don't think he is one of the posters you're referring to above.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Fuller putting in the work. Kid wants to be great

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I have a good feeling about Fuller.

which probably means he's gonna be a bust

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Nope small hands.

The NFL and Texans need to get with the program. Get youtubes. Read blogs and mock draft sites goodness what are they doing over on Kirby? Come on Bob you are rich, pitch in for youtube red so the staff doesn't have to watch commercials. Amatuer hour over there. Just telling you the facts and the truth. Too bad you all can't handle it. Maybe he works out but he won't for sure I'm 100% positive.

6. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

How you could have any positive feelings about this kid is laughable.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Texans wanted speed, good hands and route running. All of this says Josh Doctson. Although Fuller was a decent pick, he would have been my third choice out of the three available at our pick.

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think they wanted speed, chess pieces and game changers. Doctson is solid and I like him a lot, but he is seemingly similar to Strong and DeAndre. We drafted 3 really diverse weapons that have just enough overlap in case one of them takes longer to develop or bombs. I liked Doctson as well, but see the method in our madness.

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Will Fuller will be a hall of famer. Mark my words.

10. MystikArkitect

On point assessment. Doctson would've been redundant, Obrien pretty much wants the ability to run DeAndre with gadget dudes all around, he wanted the best gadget dude in the draft (we drafted 3). Fuller, Miller, Miller, Hunt and Ervin pretty much all qualify. Unless he kills it in the off season I don't see Strong getting much playing time.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Will Fuller is a much better route runner than he gets credit for... People just assume straight, deep routes.... The guy ran in more of a pro style offense than any of the other guys considered at the top.

12. Mr. Clutch

If small hands were that much of a deal breaker he wouldn't have had a round 1 or 2 grade pretty much everywhere

13. Mr. Clutch

Funny if sarcasm

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Hopkins will be a hall famer.

When Hopkins steps up to the podium, Fuller will be the first person he thanks for getting those double teams off his back.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Are they small or are they Trumpian small?

16. Raven

Raven Member

I'd probably worry less if they had selected Josh Doctson.

17. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Neither Doctson or Treadwell had the skillset that OB was looking for. DHop and Strong already had their skillset. Coleman and Fuller had the skillset they wanted and they wanted Fuller as their #1 WR. He runs a better route tree, his hands are not as bad as the sports media made them out to be and someone said he does not get the 50/50 balls, not true. Watch his videos, while not as complete as Doctson he is a good wide receiver with a ton of speed. He was the perfect pick for the Texans at that spot. Heck they traded up one spot to make sure no one picked him first.

18. RocketTOOL

RocketTOOL Member

Doctson -slower, Fuller - Faster, Hopkins- slower, the best

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't think he was the perfect pick at that spot. He is a good pick and not ridiculous at that spot but I could argue that a DE could have been perfect at that spot. Honestly, when I was less happy with the pick after the Braxton Miller pick. I understand why they picked Fuller; and I understand why they picked Miller; I don't understand why they picked both. It seems like a luxury when they still had perceived needs at other positions.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know I'm wasting my time here, and people will still think they are clever bringing up hand size to ridicule their strawman, but hand size isn't the issue. Across the board Fuller is slight, but he was almost a perfect match for John Brown of the AZ Cardinals, who is essentially the Cardinals #2 starter going forward. Brown is actually a touch smaller and he gets it done well enough as a full time outside guy.

Will Fuller vs John Brown
    Combine Physical:
    Height: 6'0" vs 5'10"
    Weight: 186 vs 179
    Arm: 30.75" vs 30.5"
    Hands: 8.25" vs 8.5"

Combine Performance:
    40: 4.32 vs 4.34
    10 yd split: 1.51 vs 1.56
    20 yd split: 2.51 vs 2.55
    Bench: 10 vs n/a
    Vertical 33.5" vs 36.5"
    Broad: 126" vs 119"
    3 cone: 6.93" vs 6.91"
    20 yd shuttle:4.27 vs 4.12
    60 yd shuttle:11.44 vs 11.40

Those performance numbers are close enough that they could be the same person on different attempts. I've brought up John Brown a couple of times before, but I guess AZ is kind of purgatory and people don't pay attention to them? He is kind of the idealized vision of what Fuller could be if he fixed his issue, especially when you keep in mind the similarity between Hopkins and Larry Fitzgerald, each team's #1.

If you want to see Brown, here he is in Week 6 against Pittsburg, his best game of the season, 10 for 196yds (NFL won't allow embed on their youtube videos):

https://youtu.be/jKA7qmNioQ0

...though for me that video also highlights where Fuller is lacking.

Will Fuller isn't especially big or strong but as I've said repeatedly he's shown a great willingness to block down field. Physically there are plenty of WR's with equally small hands. Giant hands are great, but unlike palming a basketball with one hand, you squeeze the ball between two (unless you are showing off). If Fuller had shown the ability to catch the ball with his hands away from his body I'd be thrilled with this pick.

#380 Ottomaton, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016