1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Danuel House stay in Houston next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 16, 2019.

?

Will Danuel House stay in Houston next season?

1. Yes

51 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He has no choice he is a restricted free agent.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

If he helps win a championship, I honestly don't care. I will be so ecstatic that it doesn't matter.

s3ts and J Sizzle like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

We can only match a contract around 6M though, if one single team offers him more we cannot match...unless we dump salary to have acces to the no tax MLE, and this assuming no team is going to offer him even more than that of course.

I also wonder if/how a poison pill contract would work here, is that still going to be something like this @BimaThug ?

2019/20 - 6M
    2020/21 - 6M
    2021/22 - 20M

And if that's right, can we still match a 3 year contract with the tax MLE or you can only sign a 2 year deal with that exception?

joshuaao likes this.
  4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

House will not be an Arenas Rule free agent this summer. No such “poison pill” contract would be possible. But if another team offers even $1 more than the Taxpayer MLE, the Rockets will most likely not be able to match. I’d say the odds of keeping House beyond this season would be less than 50% if he continues to play this well into the playoffs.

5. bacliff

bacliff Member

How much is the Taxpayer MLE if we stay under the tax threshold and how much if we have to pay the repeater tax?

6. anchel

anchel Member

What are the chances on the Rockets using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception instead of the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception?

7. varughese.arun

Rivers, and Shumpert, (ESPECIALLY RIVERS), should get NO PLAYING TIME DURING THE PLAYOFFS. (Unless CP3 is injured). They are just insurance.

DANUEL HOUSE WILL BE AN ESSENTIAL PART OF OUR CHAMPIONSHIP THIS YEAR.

He WILL get compensated next year.

The House always wins...

DaDakota likes this.
  8. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Dude grow the hell up. Can you contribute anything meaningful to ANY discussion instead of spreading your biased propaganda. I swear you’re always trying to be funny or start a meme. But your slant is so played. I know it’s hard for you to do any critical thinking about objective known facts instead of conjecture so I’ll quit trying to talk to a pre schooler.

Options for next year:

Shumpert can be signed with bird rights. We should retain him for future trade flexibility.

The question is about who between Green, Rivers, Faried, and House will take the vet mins.

I think it’s safe that Green stays put

Faried getting cap space money from other teams isn’t likely since there are plenty of PF switch 3s and 5s in he upcoming market. In fact I wonder if we try to retain him or go after guys like Wilson Chandler with the vet min taj Gibson or Dedmon

Not sure where Rivers goes.

The interesting thing about this off-season is we do not have the NTMLE. I believed we did but as OP noted using NTMLE puts our hard cap at the apron which will limit flexibility. We will have he TPMLE. Timing will be important on when how and if we retain house. If we can lock up guys like green Faried Rivers and a back up 5 like McGee or Gibson at vet min. We have options to consider like throwing our entire TPMLE at a guy like aminu or using it to retain house. If we throw it at someone else we have no way to retain House if someone offers him anything above the vet min.

Newlin likes this.
  9. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I really wish the Rockets would’ve just used up their remaining 3.9 million MLE to retain House fully and save our TPMLE for another guy this offseason

But it’s clear we are to be below lux tax levels for future flexibility. The counter to that is we couldve unloaded Nenes 3.6 and offered the same contract to House. That way we could’ve retained House and stayed under lux tax and keep TPMLE this offseason. I wonder if Morey kept nene on purpose for a trade this offseason? Potentially with shump or worst case ego for a star?

joshuaao and DaDakota like this.
  10. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I heard somewhere that the most Houston could pay House isn’t the full MLE which is highly likely bc DM is the kind of GM that likes to keep some of the MLE for mid season buyouts.

11. Fantasma Negro

He'll be back and he'll be wearing Hardens

12. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I doubt House stays and if I had to choose between Kelly Oubre or Jimmy Butler I would choose Oubre. I’ve always liked his game and can definitely be another James Harden superstar in the making. I’m not sure PHO would give him up so easily since he is a RFA next season but definitely rather have him over Butler.
    As far as House goes, he’s going to go to the highest bitter. A team that will offer him the full MLE, which is usually a bad or a rebuilding team.
    I could care less for Shumpert, Edwards, Nene, and even Gordon who at this point has been very inconsistent to say the least.
    If I’m DM only guys I’m bringing back are then obvious:
    Chris Paul
    James Harden
    Danuel House
    PJ Tucker
    Clint Capela

Austin Rivers
    Kenneth Faried
    Gerald Green
    The guys Houston should sign are a backup C that does what Clint does. And a SF who can defend and knock down shots like House, such as Oubre.
    Chris Paul
    James Harden
    Kelly Oubre Jr.
    PJ Tucker
    Clint Capela
    Is a very good lineup full of vets and young fresh legs.
    Backups:
    Austin Rivers
    Gerald Green
    Danuel House
    Kenneth Faried
    Javele McGee
    Javele is a guy that has definitely evolved and matured as a player. The guy runs the floor, blocks shots, defends, and catches the lobs like Clint. I like our chances with this group.

jcmoon likes this.
  13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Repeater tax won’t be an issue for the Rockets for many years. Staying under the tax this season is irrelevant to which MLE they use next season. Only the then-current season matters for MLE use.

Pretty low. Use of the Non-Taxpayer MLE would trigger a hard cap at the “apron level” (around $6-7M above the tax threshold). Given the team’s current salary obligations, they’ll be pretty close to the tax even before signing any free agents. Don’t count on them using any more than the Taxpayer MLE next season.

joshuaao and anchel like this.
  14. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Maybe, maybe no. If not they'll find another Danual House next year and we'll forget about him.

Anyone here still pining for Luc?

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  15. anchel

anchel Member

Nene is an important piece for the playoffs, Faried does not replace what he can give us. Plus I doubt House would have accepted our remaining MLE money.

BallaDoc likes this.
  16. sheb

sheb Member

Let’s just win the championship this year
    And worry about personnel after

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  17. bacliff

bacliff Member

If they avoid it this year they can delay it long enough for CP3 salary to come off the book I thought but maybe the last year of it. Also Harden' supermax starts next year.
    Mid-Level Exception (Non-Taxpayer):
    Year Salary
    2018/19
    $8,641,000
    2019/20 $9,073,050
    2020/21 $9,505,100
    2021/22 $9,937,150

Mid-Level Exception (Taxpayer):
    Year Salary
    2018/19
    $5,337,000
    2019/20 $5,603,850
    2020/21 $5,870,700

Now this is what I was saying earlier. This is a nice increase and thought that this would possibly give us enough to sign all 3 of House, Rivers and Faried. It is not a large increase but does add a few million more we can use to re sign players. I had read that we can sign a player for up to 3 years with 5% raises with these MLE's. Of course if a team offers House anything over these then we can't sign him.

#57 bacliff, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  18. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

The team would probably not be in as bad of a position if D'Antoni let go of his stupid outdated stubborn views and played Gary Clark. He has been a positive almost every time he played, and yet D'Antoni's love for veterans kept Ennis, Shumpert, and even Brandon Knight in ahead of him.

19. bacliff

bacliff Member

Clark will be ready next year for sure I feel. This year I doubt he will in the playoffs.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he had any intention of staying he would have signed a multi-year deal knowing the Rockets don't have the flexibility to sign to much this summer

He's gone - if he does that well in the playoffs someone is going to offer him a big contract.