1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Bob McNair pull a Jerry Jones and make R. Smith make a big trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by robroy77, Oct 18, 2010.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Cough... Cough... Mike Brown... Dan Rooney

2. msn

msn Member

touché!!!

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

But you're willing to let them take their lumps at the expense of our most successful season to date??? At some point, you have to WIN. I've had enough of stockpiling young assets and letting them grow into their positions....we need VETERAN LEADERSHIP in the worst way, and we need SKILL players on defense. What good are draft picks going to do when you are already the youngest team in the league?? We need to mix in good, veteran talent WITH that youth. That's what every Super Bowl team over the last 10 years has done....that's how you go from mediocrity to elite in the span of a year. The Texans have the chips to get a deal done....McNair/Smith/Kubiak need to have the stones to make it happen. As built, this offense can take us to the promised land, but the defense can only take us to the outhouse. But with a couple of additions, I think we can bring this defense at LEAST up to average, and that will allow Bush to start being more aggressive with his play-calling, and we will see a new defense after the bye week. Let's get a trade done, and bring someone here that can make a difference. When have we EVER been in first place this deep into the season? Let's continue in this direction. This fan base deserves it. The offense deserves it. The city deserves it.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Nothing will happen, and the Chronic will spin it.

:(

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I don't expect to hear much from the press conference today but I know someone will ask him about this subject, if Kubes says something about how they will leave or die with this unit...I will throw up my Whataburger. I hope he will at least spin it as they are always looking to improve the squad and will explore every possible route.

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I bet we could do like Jacoby for the corner. Throw in some 3rd round and 4th rounders :grin:

We know Al Davis likes them fast tall Receivers

7. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Christmas in October....

Hayneworth and Nnamdi

Playoffs here we come!

8. texascityman31

Would be nice to make a big move like Raiders CB but I don't see the Texans doing it. :(

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is actually a good idea.

JJ and a 1st for Aso?

Worth it?

10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Hell yes!! You do that in a heartbeat and you don't think twice.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Does anyone understand the impact of his huge contract?

I don't understand the NFL salary cap.

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

This season, none but next season...it will cost some folks their job(OD and Walter) or Andre/Matt/Demeco will need to restructure their contracts.

Numbers wise, don't know, the cap is a hard one though so something will need to happen depending on what the cap ends up being after their new agreement.

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Trindon Holliday has 4.2 speed, Davis should be calling the Smith, not the other way round.

14. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

i think nnamdi might be willing to reconstruct his contract to play for a contender.

15. AQS18

AQS18 Member

This is how majority of us will feel tomm.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cnqm9oBRDsY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cnqm9oBRDsY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hope I'm wrong though.

16. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I would agree if your talking about building a team in MLB or NBA, but in the NFL, the windows for a team making a legitimate run to the Super Bowl and winning are much much smaller. Due to injuries, parity, luck, schedules, etc., teams that can pull it off, often only have 2-4 years to really have a chance.

Now I'm talking about with the players you have right now sticking with the team. Some teams have shown the ability to reload on the fly to stay in the conversation (i.e. Eagles, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Colts), but most teams are not lucky enough to have star players who can last or front offices who have the wherewithal to pull it off. So far, the Texans front office has not shown that they will be comparable.

Given that, I would say the Texans are right at year 2 in their 4 year window. Using this year to "hopefully" develop our CB's, and then draft another CB next year, uses up too much of that window. I know next years draft is flush with 1st/2nd round CB elite talent, but they take time to show it, which I would say is time that the Texans may not have.

No, Texans should not give up multiple 1st round picks, 3rd, 5th, etc picks up to get Aso. But overpaying would be necessary and a worthwhile risk and allow the Texans to maximize this year of their window. Then even if our young corners develop by next year, we will be even stronger for a few years towards the end of this groups window.