1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Bavetta retire?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaDakota, Jun 14, 2008.

Tags:
?

Will Dick Bavetta retire ?

1. Yes - either on his own or by being asked to by the league

48 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. No - He will stay at least one more year to clear his name

26 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

With all this stuff floating around, do you guys think Dick Bavetta will finally retire?

Either, he does it on his own, or is asked to retire by the league?

I think the league asks him to take a front office job or retire......

DD

2. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Who cares........I dont think hes that good anyway.........either he will retire or kick the bucket

3. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Well as for now, it is the easiest way for him to end this history

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VJtVEStfxSg&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VJtVEStfxSg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

didnt know bavetta did thsi game too

5. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

what's fny is that bavetta is like what 70 years old and he's still reffing in the NBA. we all know how hard it is to officiate basketball yet someone on the brink of his deathbed and suffering from dementia is still allowed to ref in BIG games. you'd think that stern who is supposedly so defensive and concerned about the integrity of officiating would replace dick bavetta with some1 else.

and now with the whirlwind of recent allegations concerning bavetta's involvement in BIG playoff games sparking controversy, the whole matter sounds even more fishy.

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i think he has a chance beating charles barkley...

7. Pringles

Pringles Member

if you look at the related videos... you can see shaq cussing about the refs too. did dick also ref that game?

so if this thing is true about dick, then he's been doing it long LONG long LONG time ago. maybe getting a completly new officials wouldn't be a bad idea. just a brand new fresh start.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Has anyone looked into his race with Barkley? Did he throw that too?

And don't those mafia types kiss each other. Didn't he give Barkley the "snitch and you'll be sleepin' wit tha fishes, see?!" kiss?

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I have no idea, but I hope so.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He reffed last night's game.....

DD

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He made some bad calls.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, you're saying that he will retire or die.
    What are the odds? I want a piece of that action.

13. Howyalikemenow

I don't remember that clip, which game was that?

I think that I hate Bill Walton more the the Jazz. He's such a tool... give me a break. Like you've never gotten mad at a game?

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

yeah he made some terrible calls on the celts from the start of the game when pierce "traveled' and you can clearly see he started bouncing the ball well before he slipped to the ground.

there were a lot of plays where in the fourth where the celtics got no call when going up underneath after a rebound. and the slide by kobe there at the end and when it did look like he had a portion of his hand and or body out of bounds when on the floor digging out the ball.

Bavetta was the baseline ref and could have made any of those calls because he would have had the best angle to do so but he didnt. (granted from the tv angles that were given i couldnt tell if they were fouls on two of the put backs because i just white laker jerseys all over pierce's and i think poseys arms)

even though garnett missed that gimme tip in he was shoved by farmar while in the air when trying to tip the ball as well.

either way bavetta is a terrible official imo, he probably is a nice guy and a good sport (his race with chuck last year) but he is too old imo to do a good job anymore with all the athletes.

more than likely though he will be asked to step down if any of these investigations turn up anything

15. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Guys, I have to tell you, there are no "front office NBA jobs" for NBA refs post-retirement.

The refs and the NBA have a bad, bad, bad relationship. Neither side cares for the way the other does business, and it's been that way since they went to a three-man crew in the early 90s. Since the 1995 scab fiasco, the tax/plane ticket problems, and the new implementation of busy work-heavy Stu Jackson "improvements" that do little to change how well they call the game, there are rumors of referee strikes every summer.

These guys aren't really NBA employees who are moving on to other soft NBA jobs once their time on the court is up. It would be like Al Davis becoming NFL commish had he retired in 1990 (or whenever Rozelle stepped down). Just because they're involved with the league, it doesn't mean they have a good or even passable relationship.

It's why guys like Luis Grillo, maybe (maybe) in the top 15 of NBA refs when he retired, became the head of officials. Anyone worth their salt, and those on the bottom of the rung, aren't really kissy-kissy with the league.

16. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Nice to see you post after a while..

So you're telling me that the likes of Bevetta and the other refs that Donaghy told on didn't fix games on the command of the NBA hire-ups? So what do you propose really happened?

17. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Dick Bavetta is an out and out homer, in every stadium he works in, Ted Bernhardt (who is a bit of a party-hearty guy, I know some people who have done it with him) was horrible, and Delaney had a bad, bad game. They all had horrible games.

Michael Jordan had a bad game http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199705260MIA.html . He was a bit of a gambler, too. Why doesn't anyone accuse him of fixing to extend the series?

It's a tough game to call, and those guys had an awful night.

18. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

LOL...........will be a tough decision on his part

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Enjoy your retirement, Dick Bavetta! <a href="http://t.co/wzE0JBmWPU">pic.twitter.com/wzE0JBmWPU</a></p>&mdash; NBA (@NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBA/statuses/502190142795558914">August 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

finally! :eek: