1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wikileak thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tmacfor35, Oct 20, 2016.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Perhaps so.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Perhaps snow den.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

In my hypothetical example? Srsly?

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

well yes, i'm wondering how an election can be won thru hacking, wtf does that even mean

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You're like a college student walking in the last day of class while the teacher hands out final exams and asking what the subject of the course was about.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

considering gates/jobs/dell/ellison/zucker****/adelson/turner/branson/etc never got a college degree i take that as a compliment :D

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. Nook

Nook Member

Well he has that going for him.... Hilary Clinton wanted to have him covertly murdered.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he'll surely get prison for life and likely a fair amount of torture, he may just wish they'd kill him instead

10. NewRoxFan

Perhaps I am confusing different articles and charges... I thought I read he was looking at only a few years of prison. Was there something that suggested life or capital charges?

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My understanding is that he's facing up to 5 years in prison. Of course, the US could file more charges later once he's in the US (though I still don't see even an opportunity to pursue a death penalty, lol). But, meanwhile I think it's funny he'd make himself a prisoner in an embassy for 7 years, plus more time in the UK prison fighting extradition, just to avoid 5 years in the US.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the charge has been reduced to a narrow one only b/c of the specific extradition laws in the UK, which make it a lot more difficult if the suspect is charged w/ something of a political nature (such as espionage). so only the conspiracy charge has been put out there for now just to get their hands on him.

theoretically they could also seek the death penalty once they expand the charges later, but i was just guessing they'd rather not make him into a martyr

13. NewRoxFan

14. NewRoxFan

15. HTM

HTM Member

He isn't on U.S. soil yet is he?

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

"I love Wikileaks," a famous candidate said.

No Worries likes this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If they got dirt on Biden, he will love them once again.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Assange can rot for all I care, but this indictment if it was ever held up and he was convicted in a US courtroom, would destroy first amendment rights.

I actually think in theory a website like Wikileaks could be a positive forum for government accountability, but of course Assange is really just selectively using his website to push Russian interests.

But that’s not the point. The fact is if you don’t work for the government, you shouldn’t be muzzled by draconian rulings that silence the press and those who don’t work for the government.

Just another step towards authoritarianism. Using someone the GOP hugged two years ago to go after their biggest threat of them all... the press. The NYT and WAPO being indicted under a similar charge of espionage for publishing classified information would be Trumps crown achievement.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This cuts both ways too. Could you imagine the outrage if President Hillary Clinton’s DOJ issued this indictment? Could you imagine the outrage if in 2021 Biden’s DOJ indicted Brietbart or the Daily Caller?

People would be losing their damn minds. Assange should be locked away for a bunch of reasons (rape probably being #1 reason) but sharing classified info is not one of them.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member