1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wikileak thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tmacfor35, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is part of the issue. How they portray themselves is different from how they actually operate. They have a very good PR operation hard at work to control their image. I wouldn't call them an intelligence operation, but I would describe them as a self-sustaining business and political activist group with a Byzantine money raising operation and a desire to be a "player".

Quote from 2010 by John Young, founder of cryptome.org and estranged Wikileaks founding member on Wikileaks:

Nook, Amiga and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Not really. assange is an Australian (born in Queensland), not an American. While one could debate whether or not he is a "journalist" (educated in physics, mathematics, and programming, started as a programmer which led to hacking, started a web site to release secret information), what can't be argued is that he was indicted on charges related to journalism but conspiring to steal government files.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/11/...ing-arrest-indictment-conspiracy-secret-files

Link to the actual indictment:

3. NewRoxFan

That might be a believable description if assange/wikileaks only passively accepted and then reported secret information. Maybe even if they accepted and reported secret information that they knew was ascertained via illegal methods by others.

But that isn't was assange is being accused of in this case. He is being accused of conspiring to steal government files. He actively encouraged Manning to access the government files. He agreed to help Manning to crack a password stored on a DoD computer.

4. NewRoxFan

LOL... I wonder what trump meant when he shouted out "Boy I love reading those wikileaks" then? And I suspect pence's condemnation of assange and wikileaks will cause trumpsters eyes to spin...

Pence: Trump remarks about DNC hacks was 'never an endorsement' of WikiLeaks
    https://thehill.com/policy/cybersec...-never-an-endorsement-of#.XLCYxHlAul8.twitter

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't want anyone to commit any crimes in releasing the Mueller Report. I want it legally shared in full with Congress. Helpfully, Congress has a significant role in making the laws. As for Assange, I appreciate Wikileaks sharing the information about US war crimes. If all he did was share what he was given, there wouldn't be much to prosecute. If he helped Manning hack, he committed a crime. I would like whistleblowers to continue to be willing to speak out. But, I would prefer they didn't run to international organizations that are not accountable to our country. Go to the Post or the WSJ or something.

Good relations with the US. Maybe a quid pro quo.

Gabbard can forget about my vote.

Assange was just a coffeeboy!

Nook likes this.
  6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Of course and all the chickenhawk politicians who have never been in war will cheer lead as usual.

Tulsi was not in combat but has said she had to deal with a lot of the casualties in Iraq when she was deployed. This led her to not being a fan of the bi-lateral consensus in favor of perpetual war as most conservatives and the many hawkish "centrist" Dems.

7. biff17

biff17 Member

You and this matter of interpretation thing.

That's gonna be your go to line?

8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Does one have to be American to be a journalist? For that matter, does one have to have a journalism degree to be a journalist? I think the answer is "no" in both cases.

More generally, I'm all for pouring "sunshine" on what our govt does. Snowden is a hero, IMO.

dachuda86 and Deji McGever like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

Reread what you posted and what you were responding to...http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/wikileak-thread.277988/page-11#post-12336992

I post information ("news") on the internet (D&D). Am I a journalist? He can call himself anything he wants, and as I responded, his being a "journalist" is debatable, but what he was indicted wasn't for being a "journalist" but for
    In a separate post I also said this:

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Must one publish a journal to be a journalist?

No Worries likes this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so no crime was even committed according to the charge. manning was not able to successfully crack the password. and the evidence they have of intent on assange's part is of an anonymous contact chatting w/ manning. i'm not a lawyer, but this looks like a flimsy case at best. and regarding manning, keeping him/her in solitary for a month = torture

12. NewRoxFan

Gee, I must be a journalist on two counts. I post information to the internet, and I keep a journal. So does my daughter, but she calls it a diary, but journalist sounds better than diarist.

That all said, neither of us hack government secured web sites to steal passwords, so I guess neither of us qualify as journalists. Or heroes...

No Worries likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

Here's the full indictments: https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/11/...ing-arrest-indictment-conspiracy-secret-files

Not so certain breaking into secured government computers to steal passwords requires you successfully do it to be a crime. Like many crimes, I believe intent to commit a crime is enough. Like obstruction, for example. It doesn't require it to be successful. I guess the trial will determined that.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

that i agree with, and i believe manning was already pardoned for. but it's just this notion of "conspiracy to commit a crime" to me is a joke, and something out of pre-Magna Carta days. it's like fabricated verbage giving the feds carte blanche for whenever they absolutely need to indict a ham sandwich :D

(btw assange born in the year of pig :D )

15. biff17

biff17 Member

Pre Magma Carta?

Are you serious?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Is this what got Ecudador to give him up? :eek:

Ecuador says Julian Assange smeared poop on embassy walls

Ecuador’s former regime reportedly tolerated Julian Assange smearing poop on the walls of their London embassy before he was evicted by the new government, an official from the South American nation said.

Ecuador’s Interior Minister Maria Paula Romo made the startling claim about the WikiLeaks founder’s personal hygiene at a press conference on Thursday after his asylum status was withdrawn and he was dragged from the building.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm hearing they were threatened to be kicked out of SWIFT

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Maybe he was protesting. Maybe they were doing something to him. We need the full story.

19. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

....possibly.

...this is about the same time as a few people discovered that the earth might not be flat....:D;)

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He has more than enough enemies at the highest level. He will be brought up on all kinds of false charges.