1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why you don't take out Dwight during hack-a-Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SooneRockStro, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's all water under the bridge if McHale learned from it, and we bounce back in Game 2.

2. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Dwight should be smart enough to see intentional fouls coming, dodge them or try to run towards their star players to make those guys foul him. This also messes up the enemy defense and is fun.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We should just set off-ball screens for Dwight. Or have Dwight use Harden as a shield against potential intentional foulers.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Lots of good teams lost HCA.

Portland is outmatched in this series. They need to attack LMA.

5. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Hope we ended up like the Clippers, after losing a tough game 1 they then smacked the Warriors by 40 points!

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

An entire season with Dwight has been complete, and we have yet to see the brilliance of an in-game coaching decision resulting in a win; often times we were spoiled with James Harden and his heroic shotmaking abilities. Mchale doesnt get it, and most likely will not make drastic adjustments.

Stotts on the other hand played his teams strengths well to pull out a win in a close scoring affair. Once LMA went out, he needed to draw Howard out of the paint and did so wonderfully allowing Lillard to cut baseline to the basket. The Rockets could counter with zone D forcing the Blazers to become more perimeter oriented, but I doubt he would ever do something like that.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

as of now, Portland looks like the more complete team, offensively, and mentally.

8. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Is there a penalty to fouling an out of bounds player? If yes, can he just run down the sideline round the corner and get under the basket.

9. downbytheriver

Even if Mchale has a decent coaching game, like Lin, he regresses back to the mean in the next one and you wonder why he's in the NBA. I'm ready for some reliable JVG basketball next season and if the rocks gotta lose to cut the deadweight so be it

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

JVG will not stop broadcasting for coaching. He makes too much money. The Rockets may look to promote from within.

11. AXG

AXG Member

I didn't understand the move either and that's the time Portland made its run.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

All i know is, if you leave him in, he can't just stand there and wait for it. you need to shave as much time off the clock, period. That could have been the difference in Game 1.

13. Jblazea50

Jblazea50 Member

McHale needs to tell his team to slow it down and take good shots when up big in the 4th Q with like 6 min left. There's no reason for Parsons to be chucking up 3's with like 20 sec left on the shot clock being up 10 points.

14. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

You don't out ur big man who protects the paint and gets rebound. Because

1. he's you're paint and rim protector. even if hes not making free throws, you keep him in there for defense purposes.

2. he will get hot eventually and starts making them.
    3. If you do pull him out, Asik should have replaced him. and we all saw how the blazers came back to life once Dwight was taken out. They crushed our confidence and they knew they can win.

4. Most importantly, now they know they can do this again the next few games. (remember when OKC went to hack an Asik last year?) they tried it once and it didn't work out. They never tried it again the next game.

15. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Folks seem to forget, Howard made some very important FTs when he came back in. The TNT crew said it best. If you handle your business before they start intentional fouling, then it's too hard to make up the deficit. Correct me if my memory is wrong, which it might be, but The Rockets were still up when Howard was pulled.

I think McHale won't pull him anymore. I think everyone saw that they still needed him in the game. I'm with Shaq, Howard should be sooooo dominate. He's damn good, but I just watch and think, how come LMA can push guys around and no foul called, but Howard tries it, O-foul? I dunno, guess I'm a homer. Howard is strong, overpower people. Don't go around them.

16. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Hell NO. We need to clear the entire coaching staff like what the Zen Master did with the knicks.

Rockets should offer JVG about $3m which is way more than broadcasting.

How much do you think broadcasters make?

17. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

The lousy free throw shooting is more than just Dwight. Most of the team don't shoot free throws well.

18. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

In crunch time. Remember Asik last year vs OKC?

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight was 9-17 last night, 53%. Right around his average. I'll take 1 out of 2 every time down the floor and run.

Taking Howard out leaves a huge defensive hole inside. We left him in all year during Hack-a-Howard and it worked everytime. Game 1 McHale panicks, takes him out, and Portland proceeds to run off layup after layup. Taking Dwight out completely changed complexion of the game in Portland's favor.

20. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I also remember all hack a dwight turned out after the first time.