1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why would Minnesota trade Kevin Love for Parsons, Lin, and a late first round pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jun 29, 2014.

1. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

This. This makes sense.

2. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

Yeah, losing Parsons would really suck, but at least this with this scenario the Rockets would be doing right by him. He'd have a chance to go to a team he wanted to play for and most likely wouldn't be buried as a 4th option.

3. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Klove, Martin for Parsons, Lin, and Pelicans 1st rd pick would be just fine with me!

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This is very very simple thinking.

When Parsons left the court this year, our team was +2.1. Which means we were still good. When Love left the court, his team was -5.6. When he played, they were +6.1. Meaning, the team sucked and Love carried them.

Is Chandler good enough to carry a team? I'll answer this for you. No. And he averages almost 10 more ppg and 7 rpg. That's like saying you want a guy that gives us 7 less possessions and enough points to win all but 9 games we played during the regular season. That would have made us 73-9, an NBA record.

Okay, it's not that simple, but points and rebounds are the 2 most important stats in basketball and Kevin Love is 50% better at both when you compare him to Chandler Parsons.

Also, people in media called him Parson Chandler. No one will call Kevin Love, Love Kevin. We will just love him because he's a Rocket. Parsons isn't a god, he's not an allstar, he's not in the top 3 or 4 at his position. Love is 2 out of those 3.

5. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Agreed. I could really see Phoenix as an option. They're rumored to be after Hayward, and he's a better version of that and more easily attainable if it means Kevin Love for us. We'd be ready to deal with them.

6. Madano

I feel like this tweet by Morey shouldn't be overlooked. I'm not saying that Love isn't worth giving up Parsons for, but i'm not entirely convinced that Morey would do it unless Parsons really wanted to go to a different team and we could make it work.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p>Will be back RT <a href="https://twitter.com/suhlnichi">@suhlnichi</a> what are your plans regarding <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CP25?src=hash">#CP25</a>?</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/statuses/464512962997129216">May 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That could be posturing. Ever heard a GM say one thing and do another?

8. Madano

I don't disagree, I highly doubt Morey would let this one statement interfere with him trading Parsons in order to get Love. I just found it curious because if he really did mean it and he fully plans on Parsons being back, this implies he likely has made an offer to Minny that does NOT include Parson. I personally believe there is no way we could get Love without giving up Parsons, but Morey may feel differently.

However, if the Warriors are not willing to give up Klay Thompson, what are the best offers the Wolves could have received for Love? Likely a pick-heavy offer from Boston would be the front runner. And as it has been mentioned several times, the number of teams that Love is willing to sign with seems to be a relatively small number. So I am under the impression that Morey might believe he can field a competitive offer WITHOUT giving up Parson. I'm not saying he can offer more than one of the other teams, just that it could be seen as equivalent to a Warriors offer that doesn't include Klay Thompson.

9. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Your last reason cracked me up. LOL. good one. :cool:

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's modus operandi for GMs to declare that they're keeping their own restricted free agents. It's a risk-free way to depress market value for these players.

Remember when NY would match Lin up to a billion dollars?

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Never fully trust the words of a conniving son of gun that is Morey.

Trust him enough that he can build a team that is very good but something will be missing.

12. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

this is an interesting scenario, but the problem is RFA's have to agree to S&Ts, and why in the hell would Parsons want to join the team that sports the longest playoff drought in the WC?

Consider that teams like LA, Chicago & Dallas can clear the cap space outright and sign him, and if he's not playing here, he's certainly not going to want to join a losing situation in one of the coldest areas in the country. He's a FL guy, so the weather in CA is bound to be more appealing than frigid MN, so if you're going to join a losing effort, why not do it in a desirable place to live and a marquee franchise that's bound to be good again soon?

On the flip side, he can join a Chicago team that has an easier path to the NBA finals, and top tier players in Rose and Noah, while being directed by one of the five best coaches in the NBA. Even if Rose never comes back, they're a playoff team, and adding Parsons gives them another playmaker who can hit 3s and play defense when he gives it a lot of effort.

Lastly, Dallas can sign him, is near Houston (where he's clearly started to establish roots), is a winning situation, in a familiar climate, and, like Chicago, has a great coach.

Long & short, there's no way Houston lands Love while giving away Parsons to MN, which is why I don't see KL heading here at all (unfortunately).

13. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Theoretically, the Rockets could pick up his option for one more year so that he could be traded. I'm not saying they would, but they haven't officially declined it. (Turned in paperwork to league office) I think they have a day left to do so.
    Of course Wolves may not want him if he only has a year left, but he would be cheap and maybe they would think they had a chance to sign him outright. But after what they've been through with Love.......

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If Parsons is willing to accept a s&t to minnesota, we can use the ~18m of cap space to sign free agents before doing it.

15. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

...because k love isn't that good. Not once, a playoff experience

16. dlite316

dlite316 Member

totally agree. in addition, love has a shoe deal with a Chinese brand-Peak if i remembered correctly. rockets has millions of fans in China thanks to Yao. Love will make more Chinese endorsement $$$ if he is a Rocket.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not saying Parsons will agree to this. But the reason why this is possible is because of money.

Hypothetically imagine the following scenario.

Rockets - willing to match any offer
    Wolves - willing to pay $13mil
    Cavs - willing to pay $11mil
    Suns - willing to pay $10mil

Imagine those are Parsons' only offers on the market. Then he has to choose between signing the Cas offer sheet and have the Rockets match($11mil/yr). Or S&T to the Wolves at $13mil/yr.

Some players make prefer the extra money.

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Plus he'd probably be their #1 option, maybe make an All-Star team or two off those inflated numbers and his next contract can be fat too. Not to mention the endorsements from his beautiful hair.

19. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Parsons maybe take the extra money to leave to a big market, but he won't to go to the Wolves.

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yeah Morey isn't going to say "I hope so. But if any team offers more than 12 million or a trade for a superstar comes along then I'm afraid he's gone."