1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why would Minnesota trade Kevin Love for Parsons, Lin, and a late first round pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

true we would need a guy who can score off the bench, cannan, nick, covington arent those guys, I want mike miller here also for backup 4 in smallball lineups, think about how many looks casspi use to get from 3, mike miller would knock those down all day.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Even if there were better deals known, I'd rather it not be so obviously discussed on an internet message board widely known throughout league and media sources.

Personal curiosity didn't trump the team's competitive advantage.

3. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Lin and Parsons are young and can be re-signed by a team like Minnesota. Guys like Thompson won't stay long-term and Lee has a bad injury history. Minny has a lot of PGs though, so unless they're going to move players like Shved, Barrea and Rubio, I don't see them taking Lin.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Two reasons:

1) Around 25 teams in the league will not offer any positive assets in a trade because Love will not extend with them beyond the coming season.

2) That leaves around 5 teams, probably less. Out of those teams, our offer is excellent if it includes Parsons. No single player in any trade mentioned is better than Chandler Parsons, and frankly it's debatable whether Klay Thompson is better than Parsons if Parsons is demanding $10m/season and Klay Thompson is demanding a few million more per season. Further, I am certain that if the Warriors offered Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes, David Lee AND picks for Kevin Love and presumably Kevin Martin (you would have to for the salaries to match) then that deal would have been made already. That is an absurd price for GSW to pay when they know Minny is under pressure to trade him by the deadline and it would leave them with little depth and no tools to upgrade a roster that will live and die by the success of Stephen Curry and Kevin Love in the Western conference. Not to mention they are paying Iggy and Bogut a LOT of money. I'm sure the Warriors have not YET offered that deal but who knows they may get desperate. All I know is they may be willing to trade Klay Thompson, but not along with every other decent asset they have (picks and Barnes).

The most important thing of course is that we would simply be a better team than they would with Love, and for all we know Kerr may be worse than McHale. He's a rookie coach, who knows if he's any good?

1 person likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

But why are we assuming we are one of those 5 teams? Do we have any reliable information to indicate whether or not Love would be willing to extend with Houston?

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We have as much information as any other team in the league has at this point. So there are either 0 teams or we are one of the teams.

Also, by all indications from the insiders on the board and from reliable journalists, we have targeted him as an option. There is absolutely no chance a team in our phase of development would waste a minute of time on a person who is not committed to staying on this team after he joins. He has to be, at minimum, willing to listen to our pitch if we're going for it and there are only a handful of teams who's pitch he'd listen to.

7. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Kevin Love is under contract with the Wolves. I don't think the Rockets can pitch anything to him. But they must be getting some "good vibrations" from somewhere.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey doesn't care if Love wants to extend with Houston. He has a year to convince him.

9. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

The better question is why would Parsons agree to go to Minnesota?

10. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

This. + having his bird rights is a big deal. While supermax players like Anthony and Dwight are at the age and stage in their careers where they might be willing to walk away from extra guaranteed money to win, I don't think love is at that point where he'd be willing to walk away from the most money he could make.

We'd be able to offer him money and perhaps the best roster to fit him. It'd be hard to leave that for another market or to play with players he likes more.

11. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Parsons, Jones, Pelicans probable lottery pick, our pick.

12. oelman44

oelman44 Member

If we get Dieng then the trade will be highway robbery. We are already getting a superstar, not like we can just say "Oh yeah, and throw in one of your most promising young prospects or we walk."

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

If u don't ask then how will u know? Swap Dieng for Capela if necessary.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Two starters from last years playoff roster that was sans Dwight and fun as hell to watch vs overrated players especially Lee. I see the difference. Also, the pick isn't necessarily late. New Orleans could be in the lottery.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Not really. For example, we know LA is one of the teams he'd like to play for. Right?

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Maybe they want the marquee player they acquire for Love to have at least posted a PER of 15 (league average) in an NBA season? Can't say that about a deal headlined by Klay Thompson.

17. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Why do people keep saying this? Parsons has been getting paid less than a million a season. He's shown what he can do and now he wants to get paid what he is worth.

If a team like Minnesota was willing to pay him $10+ mil per season he will go and play for them. I believe he even mentioned this in one of his interviews. That is part of the reasons why the Rockets are making him a restricted free agent THIS season. They know next season if he gets paid less than a million again he could be salty (no loyalty) and end up leaving for a team like Minnesota and we get nothing in return.

He's still young and he's in it for the money at this stage in his career (his last big contract). Remember he's not a veteran where he is on his last legs wanting a championship. People need to understand this.

18. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Do you read? Do you know how to follow news stories? Golden State don't want to give up Thompson.

A rumored deal is different from a done deal.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Several issues.

First, options for the Rockets are drying up. I do not doubt Morey would rather have Anthony and Parsons over just Kevin Love. However that is looking less likely. With the cap situation the way it is, that leaves Morey in a real bind. As a result I can see him going all in on Love. Even if Morey loses Parsons and Jones and others, he majorly improves the Rockets adding Love to Harden and Howard.
    Second, I don't doubt for a second Morey would deal for Love without an extension. Houston would have his Bird rights and it is highly likely a trio of Howard/Love/Harden push 58-60 wins and leads to Love resigning.
    Third, a trade allows the Rockets to retain an exception and if we take on salary like Martin or Brewer, they would only help the Rockets depth. Both are very useful players and stretch the rotation.

At this point I have to believe Morey is more desperate and willing to go beyond what he normally would to get a third elite player.

20. pass_to_Hakeem

Question is ... why would we do that trade?? Love is SO overrated!!! Jesus!!

He scores 7-8 more points than Parsons? Parsons is younger, more athletic, plays D!!! I dunno, the love fest with Kevin Love on tho board baffles me!!

He's just a "brand" name is all he is!! I read post on here about "We Don't need Melo Here".. Yeah I feel the same with Love