1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why would Minnesota trade Kevin Love for Parsons, Lin, and a late first round pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jun 29, 2014.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

I guess the same reason we got Harden. Other teams over value their own assets like Washington did when they could have had Harden for Beal and we were able to step in and get James.

Better something in return than nothing at all is the reasoning. And the earlier you trade Love the more assets you'll get for him. From that point on he is a problem for someone else.

1 person likes this.
  2. kofkof99

kofkof99 Member

Hou===>out:parsons,TJones,NOL's pick,HOU's pick
    Minny==>out:Love in:Waiters,TJones,2015 NOL's pick,2015 HOU's pick
    Cav===>out:Waiters in:parsons

3. Raven

Raven Member

Probably trying to pry a better offer out of GS. Let's hope GS doesn't budge, because Love would be the perfect offseason acquisition.

4. MFG16

MFG16 Member

Because Minnesota wants to get something for Love instead of just watching him walk next summer. Only problem is Minnesota hasn't realized that the team trading the star never gets close to equal value in return and have probably asked teams for that extra piece (like klay) and have been told no.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

They would, and they would get a better trade from the Rockets than that also. Better picks and additional talent, I would assume.

6. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

The pick Morey received in the Asik trade is incredibly valuable. Can anyone else see the Pelicans as an 8th seed with how loaded the west is? Looks like a guaranteed lottery pick. Morey needs 1 more valuable asset (assuming he wants to keep Parsons) to pull off a Kevin Love trade.

7. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

The pick Morey received in the Asik trade is incredibly valuable. Can anyone else see the Pelicans as an 8th seed with how loaded the west is? Looks like a guaranteed lottery pick. Morey needs 1 more valuable asset (assuming he wants to keep Parsons) to pull off a Kevin Love trade.

That other "asset" could be relieving Minnesota of salary by taking back Kevin Martin or Corey Brewer.

8. bmd

bmd Member

Has anything been reported? I know I was mistaken about Lin. Apparently the talk has been about Parsons and Jones. Who else would be a possibility? And how valuable is that Pelicans pick?

9. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

I agree... I think Capella and Llull could be nice sweetners that the TWolves could have interest in, and of course I think Jones would be in the offer. But it sure would be nice to have one more asset of similar value to the NOP 2015 1st so that we can keep Parsons. Not sure where it can come from though.

10. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

*Capela

11. bmd

bmd Member

Whenever I hear the word "sweeteners" thrown around, it is usually some crappy players/picks that nobody really cares about.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think the Rockets, Warriors, Celtics and everyone else will just play a role. A lot of this will be in Love's hands. That's the difference. That and the teams willing to take on Love with no guarantees.

13. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Parsons = Klay
    Jones > Barnes
    No long term contract > Lee's contract
    NOP pick > GSW pick

It's easy to see why they would accept that trade. It depends on whether Parsons would accept a sign and trade to Minnesota. I doubt he would.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Love has all the leverage. He's let them know he's gone. How many teams can absorb his contract? Now, who has enough of the kind of assets the Puppies are looking for? KL wants a chance at titles and will only sign longterm with somebody who avails him that opportunity. Combine that with an owner that has a specific agenda. All that points to a VERY narrow market.

.60 - .70 on the dollar......

15. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

A "sweetener" could also be a solid bench player, a high second round pick (which is very valuable, because the contracts are non-guaranteed), or a young player that is under the teams control (Dmo).

16. bmd

bmd Member

Well, GSW is their first choice. The only reason talks have stalled from the reports is because GSW is unwilling to give up Klay Thompson.

So clearly they don't mine Lee's contract.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Two 1sts next year, our 1st this year, TJones, and a Euro?

Would that get it done? Doesn't seem like enough to me. I don't see how a love trade goes down and Parsons not being included. Right? Or no?

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Wasn't part of the reason he hasn't gone to GS is they didn't want to give up Thompson? GS can put forth a better package, but Parsons/Lin/Picks isn't a terrible offer.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Because if GSW wanted to give up Thompson, Lee, Barnes and picks the deal would probably already be done. The T-Pups are not currently having any luck getting GSW to include Klay Thompson.

In addition....

As far as I can tell GSW does not currently have any high draft picks to offer along with any of their current players. Furthermore, the Pups want to send out Kmart in the deal to free up additional cap space.

Houston could offer, Parsons, TJones and two 1st round draft picks from 2015, one of which would be a very likely lottery pick.

20. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Yeah, that's why I think the Rockets need one more valuable asset(rockets want to keep parsons). I assume another team would have to get involved.