1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why We Won't Draft Sean Williams w/ the 26th Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by goyao11, Jun 26, 2007.

1. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Why, you ask?

Because of his questionable off the court activities? No.
    Because of the Eddie Griffin/Stromile Swift flashbacks? No.
    He'll be the biggest team distraction ever to set foot in the NBA.
    Its because nobody on the Rockets will ever be able to stop laughing at his nickname.

hehe... big Doobie...hehehe

2. htownbball

htownbball Member

i would really support drafting him, but its a long shot. even if he does make it to 26, morey may be against him because he doesnt fit the moneyball system. he doesnt score much, and doesnt have much offensive repitoire. he doesnt rebound much either. he isn't a passer from the post and wont rack up assists. he's one dimensional in that he can block shots. while the athleticism and upside is there, right now, he just doesnt fit the moneyball type player mold.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think you are right.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

All i'll say for all you Sean Williams lovers is you are lucky i'm not calling the shots because there's not a chance in hell you could talk me into drafting this idiot.

This bonehead is an example why black athletes have the horrible reputation that they have today. He brings the quality of the play and overall integrity of the sport down. No self-discipline, no responsbility, no intelligence and no respect for this sport....this vile disgrace is lucky he's even where he's at right now. But don't worry, his next mistake is right around the corner. After that it's flipping burgers at McDonald's instead of making millions in the NBA.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think we're assuming too much that Morey ONLY uses the moneyball system. He has consistently said that he'll take the best player available and has also said that we need to add athleticism to the team.

IF we don't draft Williams at 26, it'll be because he isn't available. But if he is, IMO he will be the best player available.

6. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Yeah Morey isn't gonna do the Moneyball stuff he is going to listen to everyone in the draft room on their opinion

7. therox3

therox3 Member

I would only be interested in sean williams if he went undrafted.

8. thecity5

thecity5 Member

If he is there we will take him. yea he is one dimensional right now but every player gets better no matter what. he and the coaches will find a way to score wether its beating veryone down the court or its being like chuck hayes and being at the right place to score.

9. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'll be very disappointed if we end up with Sean Williams. There's way too many good prospects out there to waste a pick on someone like him. This guy is Stromile and Eddie Griffin wrapped into one. Have we not learned our lesson yet?

10. thecity5

thecity5 Member

Why does everyone say that he wont be a good player. The only way you can say that is after he gets drafted. You cant say hell be another stro because all he is is a pot head. there is nothing wrong with that cigarets are more harmfull weed is natural.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

People keep on projecting Sean Williams as a Marcus Camby but going by numbers here's another big name shotblocker he's comparable to:

<TABLE border="0"</CAPTION>
    <TR><TH> <TH>FG%<TH>FT%<TH>REB<TH>BLK<TH>PF
    <TR><TH>Bradley<TD>.52<TD>.69<TD>7.7<TD>5.2<TD>3.2
    <TR><TH>Williams<TD>.55<TD>.70<TD>6.9<TD>5.0<TD>3.2
    </TABLE>

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What has he ever done outside of block shots to make you think he would be a good player?

He has no offense.
    He does not rebound very well.
    He does block shots.

sounds like Manute Bol!

13. Glide#22

Glide#22 Member

I prefer talent over physical attribute
    I prefer a good guy (and teammate) over a problematic one
    I prefer points and rebounds over blocks

I prefer Glen Davis over Sean Williams

14. Sextuple Double

Fixed

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Although I am in the Sean Williams camp, I believe you are correct, Glide. Players who do pot are greater risks, but Williams has been getting help from John Lucas II. He initiated the counseling -- not a team telling him to do so -- and that goes a long way in my book, especially since he probably is the most talented prospect from Houston since Drexler (the Dream wasn't from Houston).

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

What does Fabricio Oberto do? He's the 5th starter for the Spurs.

The Cavs wish everyone not named LeBron wouldn't be mistaken for their 5th starter.

What does Chris Webber do these days? Not much. The 5th starter for the Pistons is likely not even in the league nexr season.

What does Dallas' 5th starter Diop do that's so noteworthy? Oh, he blocls shots.

Surely Raja Bell is a great 5th starter. Or is the well-tavelled journeyman a product of Steve Nash?

And the Heat...wow...two possible 5th starters...'Tione or JWill...both flawless. Right?

Of course, every current Rocket is multi-dimensional. Both Luther Head and Rafer Alston are monster 1on1 defenders and terrorize the league with their postup and driving abilities. Let's not forget that offensive machine Chuck Hayes who can lock down Tim Duncan or Sean Marion or Dirk Nowitski or Carlos Boozer without EVER picking up a foul. And obviously, Shane Battier is sooooooooooooo much more than 10 ppg and taking charges. Gotta love his abilty to finish strong on the break and pull rebounds down at record rates.

If someone is concerned about Williams' past...that's legit. But to write him off as one dimensional? Not reason enough. Yao and McGrady sight getting athletic as a priority. Yao implies that Swift was the best fit thus far except for his sullen and unfocused nature. If Williams without pot is Swift with focus, that's more than enough for a 5th starter or rotational player.

17. Panda

Panda Member

Imagine all the money Williams would get in the NBA to buy weed!

18. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Thank you Gater for this post-I respect your insight and appreciate this.

I do not always agree with you- but even me and the madam do not agree all the time...

This sounds like he could be a good pick- I am desperate for an effective 4 to help Yao- I really think it would help him and our team. What do you think of Yi? Is he too much of a long shot?

19. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

TBar - Just my nature but I don't go into the draft with any expectations. Surely Yi to the Rockets would be interesting and (because a Lottery pick) statistically a likely talent upgrade. But #26 to the Lottery is not very realistic. Morey said it best...they have deals to move up, they have deals to move down...but #26 is the most likely scenario.

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

dear thumbs,

go directly to hell.

sincerely,
    rashard lewis
    gerald green
    tj ford