1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why we should trade for Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by High Vibrationz, Oct 10, 2018.

1. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

I prefer to get Washington guards

2. hakeemthagreat

Just because Butler's a more skilled player doesn't equate us being a better team with him. He can't guard 1-5 first off. Second, he complains about getting the ball when his touches are low. PJ is a all around better teammate & more durable

3. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Tucker cant gaurd 1 thru 5 either. Im pretty sure he can gaurd 1 thru 4. Plus he will get touches here. Why wouldnt he. Chris always hurt plus we dont have a reliable 3.

4. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lmao i dont thinknthe rockets cared but im cool with that. Bern on a run

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've never seen this before .

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We should use the players on our roster .

PJ is a perfect 4 for us .... he just shouldn't be playing 40 minutes a game

GotGame15, glynch and saleem like this.
  7. hakeemthagreat

I'm not sure what team you've been watching the last 2 seasons. One of the BIGGEST reasons we won 65 games last year, and challenged the Warriors was our ability to play small w/ PJ at center. The reason we can do that is because PJ guards 1-5. Where have you been?

8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

My point is we can find another small ball guy. This is a allstar we are talking bout

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is a pretty good read on Butler and the Philly situation. I still feel like Butler is a fit in Houston.

luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  10. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

We were one star down to making the Finals.. :)

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

So Jimmy Butler managed to get Thibs fired, even after he'd moved on.

We should've traded for him when McHale was our coach.

D-rock and jch1911 like this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! Brown being done brown by Butler?

13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Insert Tobias Funke's itjustmightworkforus.gif

mightybosstone likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That team, to me, is a classic case where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

You have a play making forward that can't shoot.

You have a very good center but you're forcing him to be a stretch 5 because your play making forward can't shoot to space the defense.

You have a very good iso player that can't get effective shots because of the above.

If Butler were a few years younger I'd advocate keeping Butler and trading Ben Simmons for picks. It's one thing to be a piss poor perimeter shooters but it's a whole other ballgame when you refuse to even try.

Smacktle, D-rock and luckyman76 like this.
  15. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

The problem has always been that Butler himself didn't think Houston was a fit, as the Rockets were not on his preferred list of teams to trade to. A stubborn person as Butler is, that problem alone would have generated huge headache in the locker room if the Rockets had traded for him.

16. riko

riko Member

I could see him and Chris getting into a physical altercation . Harden is to melow and laid back to get into his drama.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We do need a star plus additional depth, but will Butler adapt to Harden and respect MDA? That is the big question for me. It all seems a moot point though, with the injuries to EG and CP3. We don't have the assets for him in my opinion. I'm also not in favor giving away 3-4 first rounders for him with his erratic behavior.

jb86 likes this.
  18. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

if what you mean by altercation is falling in love and becoming intimate, then yes i can see it too

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Our chemistry is so great right now even with two major players down for extended games that I'd sort of hate to tempt the devil by adding a malcontent like Butler.

Our role players (Rivers, House, Green) have stepped up and given us a lot of the depth we needed so badly earlier this season.

I'm not worried about the guard or small forward positions anymore. I think we can get by with Gordon, House, Green at the swing positions. Maybe Ennis can help too though I've soured on him like I guess most folks have.

I still think we need a move but I'd be aiming for a big that can bang in the middle and pull down rebounds over anything else at this point. That's where we're getting outmaneuvered lately. We're good at center but could use a big 4 that can play some at center when Nene can't and give Capela some help around the basket. I'd hoped Clark could give us that help but he's obviously not ready.

I don't feel like we need star power. I liken this team to our first championship squad (with Paul injured or not playing well) or our second championship squad (with Paul well and contributing like a Drexler did). Size has really been an issue though, even during the win streak.

D-rock and Deckard like this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Different timelines. This is why Butler would have fit better in Houston. His timeline (and style of play) fits the current Rockets timeline.

D-rock and topfive like this.