1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why tmac's FG% going down?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbball, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Northside Moss

Looking over his stats though, T-mac has been having a lot of good assist games lately. So, goodbye Mac-attack...hello Mac-Nash.

Once Yao gets his stuff back, that's not nesscesarily bad.

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

yep, Kobe and Wade don't stop going to the basket when Shaq is in the lineup. T-mac needs to buck up. his jumpshot isn't as good as he thinks it is.

3. Astockmarketgod

come playoff time... Tmac will bring it up a notch... I just hope he decides to make better shot selections and gets more aggressive to the basket..

more guys in there the more to foul you....

id gladly...take a turn over anyday... on a Tmac attempt to split two defenders in the paint... the reward to risk ratio is far greater...

4. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I'm fine with tmac's shot selection, the ONLY thing i cant stand is when he puts up an unnecessary 3!

5. macalu

lately, it seems his only shot selection IS an unnecessary 3.

6. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

after i read tmac's comments after yao's first or second game back, I think tmac is a little concerned about loosing his place as the top scorer... (maybe subconsciously)

if he isn't hitting his jumpshots, then take it to the hole or be a "playmaker"

7. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

It doesn't matter. As long as T-mac and Yao performs in the playoffs I don't care if we get the 8th seed.

T-mac's main value is the amount of attention he draws on the court, not because he can knock down every shot.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Shouldn't that be 'good-bye, Me-Mac'. Forever?!!

DoD is right, TMac's shot selection has been p'poor. His best games are when he comes out hot, lights it up early then he owns the entire floor. I wish his FTs were more reliable. (Yao's 1st 3Q FT% must be 20%pts higher than 4Q, speaking of more reliable.)

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Well McGrady should take the game over when Yao gets a rest. Kobe did the exact same thing when Shaq was on the bench, that's how he would still get his 25 pts, by scoring 10 or so each time Shaq was on the bench.

Now granted, Kobe knew how to drive to the basket and hit free throws...

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I think that too...

hopefully he can turn it up a notch during the playoffs

11. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

It was Memac who single handedly got us a 22-10 record during our toughest part of the Scheduel without yao or saved our behind last night. growup, think and dont be so stupid.

12. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

13. conquistador#11

T-mac is T-mac.His shot selection should never be questioned :)
    any given day,he can drop 30+.What I worry about is his FT%.
    I remember, in the preseason, he made a joke about his percentage,saying that it wouldn't be that bad in the regular season......It's been Bad

14. macalu

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Often T McGrady is not playing in the flow of the game, he is forcing too many low percentage shots from the outside. Also too many open shots are not being taken as players defere to Mc Grady.

16. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

As much as I understand people's want for TMac to "coast" to the playoffs, I am one of the believers that you need to go on a roll going into the playoffs. So I hope if he's goin to take it easy, at least he can play well going into the playoffs.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The problem is TMac's at his best being a threat when Yao needs a rest or is not hitting. If TMac's not hitting as well, then we've just neutralized our 2 best players. TMac needs to attack the basket far more than he is. Right now if his jumper isn't falling, he's passing the ball (and doing an incredible job, btw). I just think he doesn't want to get hammered/injured by driving and he's hesitant as a result. Right now, some of the jumpers/3's he takes are just wild.

The assists are great btw. He's a hell of a passer - he's our best PG. However, he's at his best when he's a threat to drop 40 on you if you ignore his drive. Right now, odds ae good if you ignore his jumper, you'll be somewhat safe.

18. Northside Moss

I completely agree with you on this point; I'd love to see T-mac drive more and finish but like you said...injuries. I'm convinced that we're going to see a new T-mac (or old depending on how you look at it) in the playoffs though ;)

Hmm...kinda've. But I find that every team in the league considers T-mac a perimeter threat no matter how bad of a shooting slump he may be in. Its like the league is just waching Adidas commercials; I'm convinced that if we had a random guy in a T-mac jersey, he would still get double-teamed. Like that game in Indiana when T-mac just came back from injury and got doubled constantly even though he wasn't producing that well; granted, Yao wasn't there, but you don't double-team someone for nothing.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

MeMac? It sure seemed like LeaderMac to me. Where was the selfish me-me-me?

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If Kim gets a chance, I'd like him to respond here. Has McGrady been taking different types of shots since Yao returned?