1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the hell do we have Sam Dekker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Chamillionaire

Pretty sure not serious. Looked like he got kneed in his thigh when he dunked there in the 4th.

2. Sanity2disChaos

It was summer league against the Hawks. He hasn't proven anything but that he isn't still injured...oh wait,didnt he get injured again??

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

He looks fine.

I would like to see more.

Looking promising though.

4. valorita

valorita Member

Cant create
    Robotic movements
    Limited defensively

Good wing filler in transition
    Decent shooter
    Good size

Meh, he look ok

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was trying to figure out what is UPSIDE is . . ..

Can he be as good as Parsons was in his prime?

What should be our expectations?

Rocket River

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

Why do we have KJ, Harrell, Onuaku on our team? Like Dekker, none of them will contribute anything ever. It's time to take off the glasses and see that KJ is still nothing close to an NBA player. Harrell is hustle but with MDA, you need big men who can pass and shoot from outside. Sorry but I don't see how any of these youngins will see the court.

7. hvic

hvic Member

We can try to develop them and polish there skills. If it doesn't work out then morrey will eat the young by using them as trade bait

8. mightybosstone

I can't figure out what Dekker's potential is, but I definitely think there's something there. His versatility is something that can be really valuable in the NBA today. He's a guy you could play at either wing position or but him at the 4 to give the other team a matchup nightmare. He's a decent defender with good athleticism who thrives in transition.

I just can't imagine that this kid won't get some minutes in a system like D'Antoni's that could really potentially play to a lot of his strengths. If he can stay healthy and develop a consistent jumper (two pretty big ifs), I really do think this kid can have a role as a quality rotational player that can grow over time.

9. mightybosstone

I also think it's worth pointing out that, while the Rockets' goal should certainly still be a playoff run this season, there probably aren't any delusions of grandeur in terms of competing for a title right now. This is the season where they should be taking some shots on guys like Dekker to see what they really have in them. But I would really like to see this kid get some legitimate minutes as the season progresses.

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

he's a mid first round pick. worth a spot till the end of his 2nd year. what else can u get with 1.5m? nothing. with dekker there's potential for something

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think C-bud is a good benchmark for now, he doesn't have the feel for the game that Parsons had but he does have a lot of athleticism and a working J like C-bud. Dekker looks like he has high Bball IQ though so maybe he ends up better than C-bud but worse than Parsons.

12. fattz

fattz Member

I am hoping for a Shane Battier type. Not really great at anything but smart & steady at all things. The glue all teams need. Well that is my hope anyway.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think rookie year Parsons is a great comparison.

Parsons improved a lot on his shooting and playmaking after his rookie year, those are aspects of the game Dekker obviously isn't as developed in. Dekker may never develop the ability to be a playmaker but I think he can become a respectable shooter.

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Lol Les trying to get that white money...

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, Dekker is worthy of comparison only to white players? Parson in his prime? Like he's 35 or that his knees may be?

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Robert Horry?
    James Worthy?
    Richard Jefferson?
    Shawn Marion?
    Brian Scalabrine?

17. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Man he looked great. Treat this like his rookie year, ala Blake Griffin. If the guy can hit the three with some consistency, he's gonna get playing time. Love the athleticism too, he can smash.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

On draft night I compared him to cross of Mugsy Bogues and Mantu Bol.

1 person likes this.
  19. Asian Sensation

I hope he can be like last years version of Doug Mcdermott. That'd be sweet.

20. FeaR

FeaR Member

Isn't McDermott a terrible defender ? Dekker is much more athletic but worse shooter.