1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Why teams win?]And why we cannot lose Battier/Hayes/Scola

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Mar 22, 2010.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

No Doubt that on court play is a factor, but i believe it goes deeper than that, in all three situations, the head coach pretty much got fired either during the season or after the season, that means that they lost the team when the lockerroom presence left.

Specifically, if you look at detroit, you will notice that with billups gone, no one was there to police sheed, and iverson and sheed basically just infected that whole team. Talent wise, they were still a really good team, but they basically had locker room cancer.

2. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Battier had a nice seasons here, but I think his time with the rockets is done.
    the rockets can put him in a trade to bring another good player.

you cant trade Scola, he is playing amazing!

3. trugoy

trugoy Member

now that battier is out, we can keep an eye on his effect on the team.

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree that in the past Battier & Hayes have been leaders on this team on and off the court in mentality, demeanor and class. It has been very easy for them to do that effectively with the minutes they were playing.

However, with their decrease in minutes due to effectiveness, age, injury, or players with "more talent," I sort of feel that the intangibles of being a leader will fade to some extent. Especially, if you are keeping that player around solely for that purpose. At that level, I have a hard time thinking other players will truly listen to a leader if that player cannot perform at least at some level on the court.

While I'm not saying that Battier & Hayes are horrible on the court, you can see signs of them fading. And the loss for players is often very, very fast especially for players such as Battier & Hayes who have to maximize whatever speed, agility, quickness, and talent they do have with smarts, preparation, hardwork and energy. Even a little drop in their speed and agility would be hard to mask with the the best basketball IQ and preparation in clutch and playoff situations.

Given that, you have to expect (or rather hope) that one of your other players fills in that void and takes over that role. Just because they have not done so to date does not mean they well, they could have deferred to Battier, among others, out of respect.

Frankly, if no one other than Battier, Hayes, or Scola steps up to truly be a leader for this team on-or-off the court, there is no way the Rockets will truly be a contender with this squad. The mental toughness makes you a contender, and we would lack that.

5. carib

carib Member

I would not be surprised if we loose Battier and Hayes in the offseason. Those guys are perfect for a Van Gundy type team. In an Adelman team, I really don't know. There roles have been diminshed this year. If they leave, there will be a void in leadership and someone would have to step up. Morey knows more about whats going on in the locker room, if we do loose these guys I trust Morey knows what he is doing.

6. Chronz

Chronz Member

Id say your paper is flawed, all those teams downgraded.

Pau missed the start of the season and pretty much destroyed any hope they had of making a run, the supporting cast was different. If you look at the roster from the 2 years before they pretty much shipped their young talent for more veterans and were basically the same team. Then the next year those old guys got older.

The Billups situation, he was a vastly superior player and the better fit for both squads. AI may have been "thought" of in that light but the reality is that he shouldnt have been.

As for Tmac, DA was a huge loss, but more importantly was the fact that Tmac went from having a season in which he displayed a caliber of ball seen only from the games best, to something more in line with the rest of his career. Look up Tmacs stats from after the all-star break, what it took to will his team to the playoffs was unreal. The addition of Juwan accomplished 2 things, it gave them a defensive interior of pudding, and killed Goodens confidence.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree to the OP to a degree. You have to win with talent, not just glue guys. Glue guys make talented teams great. They can't make talentless teams win.

I love all those three guys and wish they all could retire as Rockets. But I know reality is not so.

Shane is most likely to go in a package for a star player. This is simply because we have a surplus of young wings. Shane's role will decrease and from the perspective of the big picture, it's just not feasible to pay so much for him.

Hayes is probably the most dispensable guy of these three. He is our best defender, but too short to guard 7-footers. Jeffries can do most of the things Hayes does except the nifty passes that come about once a game, and he is taller. If Morey let Hayes go, he will probably try to resign Jeffries for a smaller contract next year.

I still hope they can keep Scola even if they bring in a star forward like Bosh or Amare. A three-man front line rotation with Yao would be great to have.

8. trugoy

trugoy Member

you are missing the forest for the trees, what you are not getting is that it is not the individual in so much as the team.

No doubt that battier is better than rudy gay, or billups better than iverson. But it was the effect those guys had on the other players on the team.

You notice that pau gasol, who's not exactly kevin garnett in his passion for the game, becomes a little more blase, or that hakim warrick and rudy gay didn't get the best influence without him in the team.

That JR Smith seems much less of a knucklehead without iverson and with billups, Carmelo has raised his game especially defensively. Meanwhile Sheed pretty much went into don't care mode with billups gone.

All this has nothing to do with talent on the court, it's all about that veteran locker room presense.

Your Orlando example is completely false, their frontcourt of Gooden and Juwan played together most of the time and is infinitely better than their previous year's front court of Pat Garrity and Shawn Kemp!