1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why tanking is pointless this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Apr 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

How much cap room do they have after signing Martin? We need to sign Luis and Kyle as well,or get adequate replacements. Yao might pick up his 17M player option as well.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

There is no capspace. The Rockets will be over the cap for 2010-11 and may be in luxury tax territory. They exchanged T-Mac's salary for Jeffries and Martin. The Rockets only have the MLE for signings. Their only chance at a premier free agent is a trade and getting rid of some of our players.

3. BetterThanEver

4. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I want that 12th pick bad. How difficult is it for Adelman to sit Scola and let Hill play out the rest of the season. Scola has played phenomanal since Landry was traded and we all know what were going to get from him next season. I wish Adelman would play Hill, Budinger and Taylor 40+ minutes the rest of these games, if the rockets win no big deal.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

6. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

You breed bad habits when you let rookies and younger players play without a vet leader. Why do you think teams like the Clippers and Kings are always so down in the standings?

7. BetterThanEver

Ummmm...look at the Rockets. They always down in the standings also. They have only gotten to the 2nd round, 1 out of the last 12 seasons.

8. BetterThanEver

Rockets have missed the playoffs 5 times in the last 12 years, and have made to the semifinals 1 time and to the finals 0 times.

Kings have missed the playoffs 4 times in the last 12 years, but have made it to to the finals once and only to the semifinals 3 times.

Kings have been higher up in the standings than the Rockets and further in the playoffs. It was the lost decade, after Hakeem and Drexler left.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes, and shane battier won more than a dozen games for the rockets. How many games did Rudy Gay win for the Grizz? Very few, because he actually was one of the worst defensive players in the league :rolleyes: He's become really good now, however he's also set to make all this money after basically sucking and losing games all these years. Yep, drafting Rudy Gay sure worked out well for the Grizz....

10. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Seems like the Grizz are tanking now. Tuesday's game is gonna be huge. The 13th pick will be on the line folks. Battle of the heavyweights. Who will Lose??!!!

11. BetterThanEver

This is a very critical game on Tuesday. It could mean the difference between 12th or the 14th pick.

Chicago is playing Milwaukee without Bogut(surgery). Chicago has a good chance of winning and dropping 0.5 game in the lottery.

Current lottery positions:
    12 Chicago 1 game ahead
    13 Houston
    14 Memphis 1 game behind

With a Chicago win, here are the new draft positions if Houston wins.

12 Chicago 1 game ahead(no change, since HOU and CHI win)
    13/14 Houston/Memphis (Tie)

With a Chicago win, here are the new draft positions if Houston loses.

12/13 Chicago/Houston (Tie)
    14 Memphis 2 games behind

There are only 5 more Houston games left, so there wouldn't be much room for Memphis to maneuver to make up 2 games against Houston.

12. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

That Celtics game that we won really hurt. Well the Grizz are playing at home and the Ariza and Martin combo seems to bung down the offense. We have a good chance to lose.

13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

:eek: It didnt hurt at all, it was an amazing game!
    I bet you were rooting for pierce to make the shot in the 4th quarter.

14. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Actually I was rooting for the C's the whole way. Now don't get me wrong. I'm a Rockets fan through and through but I don't see the point of winning these meaningless games when we can get better position in the draft. And maybe enough balls to get into the top 3 where we can have alot of options. If we lose on Tuesday then that win won't hurt us that much.

15. Chinesekid123

Chinesekid123 Member

i really dont understand the meaning of this statement. If we Lost all our games...why do we have to get 14th pick. the most lost team have 25% to get 1 pick...so if we tank this year and lose more game than nets we could get 1-5 picks...i dont get what you mean. Care to explain more?

16. Chinesekid123

Chinesekid123 Member

NEvermind i get it now. you mean TANKING FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF GAMES.. NOT FOR THE WHOLE YEAR

...YOUR title is midleading

17. Garner

Garner Member

I'm pretty sure that is the Kosher way the front office communicates the tanking idea.

I don't think there was a point in the past couple of weeks where DM showed up in fatigues and started making the giant balloon tank in the middle of the toyota center

18. shamz145

shamz145 Member

WHAT PICK WAS T-FIERCE
    WESHOULD BE AIMING FOR T-MACS PICK
    IT HAD GOOD LUCKB EFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Consider this possibility: we lose all the remaining games by keeping guys like Scola on the sideline, stepping all over their pride and competitive spirit, playing the rookies in frustrating, losing efforts and get the 12th pick instead of the 14th pick.
    Darryl Morey choses what he thinks is the best pick at 12. Three years later, it turns out that whoever he chose had injury-problems or didn't have the drive to improve and basically becomes Trevor Ariza or something.
    Whoever was picked at 14th works his a## off and becomes an amazing starter on another team in the next 5 years.
    Then what was the point of tanking?

If you can't recognize that it could happen EITHER WAY just as easily, because it is largely just CHANCE, then I don't know what to say to you. And the fact it is not anywhere near the top 6 makes the whole thing even more of a crapshoot.

If we had had a higher pick last year, we probably wouldn't have taken Chase Budinger. And the chances we would have luckily chosen one of the 6 or 7 rookies that are better than him this year is pretty low.

20. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I agree with Wiki, there's way too many variables to say that you're definitely better off losing the last few games to move up 2 spots in the draft. Really, the only time it clearly matters is in the first few picks of the draft, but then the NBA has reduce the importance through the lottery system, as well as the fact that there is always an Oden or Sam Bowie out there (not that they're the same player, just not panning out as well as others).

And people always forget that we also got rid of Swift in the Battier/Gay deal. We also seem to always be able to deal well with Memphis ever since that deal. Granted, everyone does well when dealing with Memphis, but still. And no that was a CD deal, not Morey.