1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why tanking is pointless this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Apr 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Dwight Shrute

Dwight Shrute Member

I much rather the rockets try to get the chemistry right with the best lineup possible for next year...I think we all have faith that morey will do the best with whatever pick he ends up with...He has the assets to trade up in the if he chooses to

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

We don't even know who we be here next year. Last month, people were counting on the line up being Yao-Scola-Ariza-Tracy-Brooks. Now, it might be Yao-Scola-Ariza-Martin-Brooks. That's not even guaranteed, since this is one of the bigger off seasons with high caliber free agents, and a deeper draft.

Morey, himself, said that the Rockets are bigger players for a sign and trade, after the NY trade. If we are getting a player back in a sign and trade, count on at least 3 players going back out just to match salaries.

3. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

The draft is a crap shoot. You mention the Roy year, but dont mention the 3rd pick was Adam Morrison and the 5th pick was Sheldon Williams. What if we had tanked and somehow been in line to draft one of those guys. Im not saying we would have, just mentioning how you scout the best you can, hope to have a pick to draft the player you like most, and then most importantly hope they work out.

Look at Portland, you think they are still happy they won the lotto in Oden's year. If the Sonics had won the lotto instead, they probably draft Oden, and Portland is "stuck" with Durant.

Tank or no tank, it all comes down to the same thing. People who hated JVG still blame him for winning that one game, yet somehow appreciate Adelman for making this team play hard and win meaningless games. Anyone who has bashed JVG for trying to win a game, should be doing the same against Adelman now. If not that is totally hypocritical. We all know that come draft time, everyone here is going to wish we had the 12th pick instead of the 14th pick if that is what it comes down to.

4. BetterThanEver

If he did have the 3rd or 4th pick, Roy would still be on the board. There are only a limited number of star players in each draft. One of Morey's projected guys was Brandon Roy, not Morrison or Williams. The higher up he is the better chance that he would have a crack at Roy. They had a deal in place and got Pritch slapped, then he had to choose the best player available and give it to Memphis.

5. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Watch out, you're making sense... The old man is gonna baby helmet you.... :cool: :cool:

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

That still stings.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Isn't the difference more lotto balls and a better chance at a top pick?

I don't want the team to try and lose games, but I want to see the young guys play and develop, even if that means we have a worse chance to win. I really don't consider development tanking.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Why would I do that? He makes sense and you have a national holiday. :grin:

[​IMG]

9. BetterThanEver

What if the Rockets had never won the lottery and still had the 13th/14th pick in 2002 instead of the 1st to get Yao Ming? The Rockets would have really competed in 2001-02. It would have been worth it right? The Rockets would have signed a good free agent.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

To be fair, most free agents resign with their own teams...at least the best ones do.

When was the last big name to move? Shaq from Orlando?

DD

11. BetterThanEver

Hedo to Toronto?
    Lewis to Orlando?
    Baron Davis to the Clippers?
    Brand to Philly?
    Boozer and Okur to Utah?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

None of them superstar players though, sure some of the 2nd tier players leave....but the main ones mostly stay.

DD

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Since whackywiki brought this point up I had to read your post. And what you neglect to mention is that JVG tried to lose that game so bad and was outcoached even attempting to lose. Ask anyone who watched that game and they will tell you the Rockets were well behind and on course to lose and then David Wesley and Stromile Swift started scoring and got us back in the game while denver wasn't even trying. So Van Gundy yanks them and replaces them with Bogans and juwan howard who were both having a pathetic end of season. But stillLuther is scoring so JVG yanks luther and replaces him with Ryan Bowen. But Karl calls a timeout and what proceeds is the worst at tanking I have ever witnessed by 2 teams as Marcus Camby starts yanking up 3 pointers and long shots.

I remeber posting JVG got outcoached even when trying to lose. That's what happenned. Denver stuck in Ryan Bowen and scrubs and had Marcus Camby jacking up 3's and suddenly Houston was tied and JVG called a timeout and the rockets started playing bad and looked like they had a chance to lose but still won. It was the game that lost us Roy and JVG yanked every player on our team that was playing good and deliberately subbed them with worst players but still couldn't even lose when he was trying.

So your point is wrong. If it comes down to the end of the season and one pointless game gives us a chance to move up to spot. I hope we play our worst players in an attempt to lose. And now as DD I hope we continue to test the rookies and if we win great.

#93 Old Man Rock, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  14. BetterThanEver

Chicago has won 2 games in a row. Rockets are only 1.5 games behind Chicago for 12th draft position. Chicago plays Milwaukee on Tuesday. Bogut was injured tonight, but his status is unclear for Tuesday.

The 11th pick is out of reach. New Orleans has lost 3 games in a row to put themselves 4.5 games ahead of the Rockets.

15. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

a player could slip with great value could slip outa the top 10 and then we could be rite there at 12 but at 14 he'd be gone, theres a big diff and its valuable imo

16. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

How can you criticize JVG then, if you honestly believe he took out every player who was doing good in an attempt to lose the game. You are basically saying JVG should have tried to lose. You are saying JVG then tried to lose. You are saying JVG pulled all his players who were playing good, and put in crappy ones, but somehow its still his fault they won. What was he supposed to do, put on a jersey and sub himself into the game and match Camby's three pointers?

I dont care at this point. Of course I wish the Rox had the 6th pick the year Roy was drafted. I just find it hypocritical that people get all bent out of shape even three years later about that game, yet are all for what Adelman is doing now. Two pointless wins against the Wizards and Celtics when both could have been losses and you arent crying about it. I get playing the young guys, but why arent you saying the young guys should play well and then try to lose. Why is it okay for them to play and try to win, but veterans cant do the same.

17. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

The rockets scout always have a good eye for players,I trust any pick they choose. They'll pull something off

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure why some people are mad that JVG didn't "tank" during the 05-06 season. Sure we missed Broy, BUT... if everyone stayed healty, were would have been contendors a few years later.

Yao-McGrady-Artest-2009

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Like the poster after your post said, Morey hadnt a chance to make a big move, with the cap they have now, they can sign a good FA.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Have we been mathematically eliminated? I know this isn't related to tanking but I didn't want to create another thread.