1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why So Much Patterson Hate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nbalopez23, Dec 1, 2012.

1. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Patterson is a big part of why Harden and Lin are playing better. Because he can stretch the floor so the opposition won't dare double them so hard. Lin needs Ppat as much as Ppat needs Lin.

2. jocar

jocar Member

Toney Douglas?
    Anyway, wish we'd stop callin it Lin hate or PPat hate. Hate's kinda strong of a word to throw around dont'cha think?

Anyway, I just wish he'd bang around in the paint for box outs, rebounds, put backs like power forwards should do. He's got the body for it, but is he afraid of gettin hurt, is he just not accustomed to it, or is he just lazy? What really bugs me about this, is that Asik is already goin 100% every night down low. Stitches, bruises, today his nose, etc.; and if our PF isn't there to help him lighten his load, he may burn out too soon, or take more risks and end up with an injury.

There's not many reasons a PF should have close to or less rebounds than than our smaller positions...

Total Rebounds:

Mook (67) - bench
    Harden (65)
    Lin (70)
    PPat (80)

Parsons (101)-Wow
    Asik (197)

Offensive Rebounds:

Lin (11)
    Harden (13)
    Parsons (18)
    Smith (20)
    Mook (25)
    PPat (30)
    Asik (61)

Defensive Rebounds:

Delfino (34) - bench, and injury
    Mook (42) - bench
    PPat (50) -embarrassing
    Harden (52)
    Lin (59)
    Parsons (83)
    Asik (136)

N that's what bothers me, at least

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

So your analysis of LMA is based off his slow start to this season coming off a career season? That right there is laughable. If you are going to do an analysis of LMA at least use his numbers from last season or the season before and not the first 14 games of this one.

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Patterson is what he is and guess what, he's scoring in bunches and that wasn't the case last year. Unfortunately though, he has lost that swagger and energy he showed in his rookie year. Similar to Landry who beasted early and later became more of a jumpshooting PF. The rebounding is no excuse and will cost us games and despite him doing well, we cannot settle for a guy like Pat in the long run. This is who he is, a capable soft player who plays decent defense and can now stretch the floor and score 10-15 ppg.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

nah... a few, maybe. But on the other hand, there are teams with several PF options that are better than Pat.

6. AbrahamLincoln

I don't see the rebounding as a big problem. We are 6th in the league in rebounding. Asik,Parsons,Patt,Smith and Morris rebound well. I know alot of people see his rebound numbers as an issue but I don't. I dislike seeing him on the perimeter instead of in the paint with Asik on offense. However, it does help create spacing and was the reason our guards were able to drive last. Things are coming together pretty well now. I'm happy to sit back and watch as the team progresses.

This is patts 3rd 20pt game in a row. could be a 15-20ppg game guy if his offense keeps developing.

7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

His having the hot hand now, and that will only give more space for Harden later on. Which is always a good thing.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

You think last year was LMA's best year? Odd, but whatever. Last year he shot 43% on jumpers, which constituted more than 2/3 of his shots. No 3pt shot either. Patterson, though, shoots 37% on 3s.

9. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

yeah! have no doubt bout it...12pat will be an important wheel in our championship mechanism...

10. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

could be even much more...you never know anyones ceiling especially a talented player like him......btw nice observations...this is where individual stats can be deceiving, and why teams with 'worse' players beat teams with better players...IT'S all about the teamball...why in hell do we care if patterson have 4 or 14 rebounds as long as our other guys keep collecting them....

11. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

It's a joke, right?

12. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

He needs someone to create a joke thread to get back his swagger.

13. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Out of curiosity, do many PF's shoot better than 43% on jumpers? That seems pretty good for a mid-range shot.

14. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Right now Patterson seems like he could become an elite shooter and a real weapon on offense. His defense isn't half as bad as people blame it... So if he can keep his shooting percentage up, there really is only one problem with him, and that of course is his rebounding.

H goes hard for the rebound on one play and then forgets to block out and walk lazy around for the next 3. There is no excuse for him not getting close to 8 rebounds a game. But I don't think toughness is his real problem here... It seems like a combination of lacking technique and lacking desire. Both of those things can be coached, so I have still hope.

If he can become a decent rebounder, improve his defense just a bit and keep up his hot hand, he even might turn into a David West like all star.

15. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

16. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I'm totally alright with Pat's recent production. As long as he can get, at minimum, 12/5 with a high % rate, I'll be happy.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Right, if he were an average rebounder at the 4 then he would be a good starting caliber roleplayer. As long as he is one of the worst rebounding PFs though I'm not going to be convinced he's starter material.

18. conquistador#11

lol at ppat having to be set up to score. which PF or Center doesn't have to be set up?
    I was down on him last season for settling for a 1 ft missed jump shot over a dunk when he had wide open lane. He has won me over with his consistency. ALl he has to do now is box out. His post d has always been good.

19. fattz

fattz Member

So true, but this is just part of it. He has been placed in a no win situation - ALL the rookies we have left are power-forwords. One sees the rookies as hope... YES, he is young, too - BUT the new players are the promise of future --> Patterson is in the way of the future. It sounds silly but it is true. I want to see D-Mo & Jones play so badly - and even White, too (like a fat kid in a candy store). For now we have Patterson; so no matter what he does or doesn't do it will not be enough.

20. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

If the other starters weren't above avg rebounders, Pat's deficiency in this area would stand out more - but we're a good rebounding team. Pat's shot has been steller. Opposing bigs are going to have to honor this (Zach, Pau, Kevin, etc). This is going to be huge for our spacing. As long as Pat can keep this up, I think he's just what we need.