1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why So Much Patterson Hate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nbalopez23, Dec 1, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think this is an issue of IQ so much as it speaks to a lack of confidence in putting the ball on the floor. He's more comfortable shooting open jumpers then he is creating something off the dribble.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Because he deserved EVERY bit of critique providing nothing of signficance being the WEAKEST link on the team? Until he's recently shown improvement? It took the coach getting on his butt publicly to shake him up, thats not even the fans.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He's been tremendous of late and I'm completely fine with eating crow about it.

5. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

because he used to be this guy, but........he's coming back. slower than us fans expected though
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VxjoT5Snt1U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VxjoT5Snt1U?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4zBTmHzy8I?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4zBTmHzy8I?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Let's see, he is averaging 20pts, 5rbds, shooting 56% while playing good defense and you all still want to hate?
    What more do you want from the man?:confused::confused:

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Fixed^^

8. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

How do you know?

The team has had issues with Cousins since he arrived on the scene 2 years ago, they continue to lose (currently last in the WC), the Maloof brothers are inching closer and closer to selling the team to Seattle, and they have a nice insurance policy behind Cuz by the name of Thomas Robinson.

The front office will be looking for a more marketable core to throw around guys like Isaiah Thomas (U Dub product) & T-Rob, and in our case, Petrie would be looking directly at Lin, and to a much lesser extent, T. Jones (HS legend in the Pac NW).

I think Tyreke & Cuz will both be available closer to the deadline, Cuz obviously with a much steeper price tag.

9. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Yea,kids in elementary school learn to box out.Rebounding is about wanting to.Pat just doesn't seem to have the desire to bang down low,or drive to the hoop.He just doesn't have the aggressiveness I'd like to see from our starting PF.I do like him though and think he'd be a great bench player.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Dude is playing better lately, but he still needs to REBOUND. I'm so sick of seeing him have ~5 boards. He's getting outrebounded by Chandler Parsons who he outweighs by 35 pounds, for christ's sake. And don't say it's because PPat is camping on the perimeter, Parsons has been playing SF and shooting more than twice as many 3Pers per game.

11. sidestep

sidestep Member

IMO, PatPat's scoring numbers is fool's gold. His shots off of the pick and pop are just milking the defensive attention drawn by Harden. Many of his points are set up by Lin, in which PatPat is getting very open looks. His scoring is just trickle-down from teammates. The OKC game being the more extreme example -- the backcourt was regularly double-teamed, so the open looks went to PatPat. He's been hitting the midrange very efficiently, but the his statline really reflects team offense instead of PatPat himself. Take away that, and you have a under-rebounding PF who hesitates to take it straight to the bucket in the paint. As a stretch 4 who can shoot from perimeter, fine, but he's the only player on the team that I cannot easily root for.

12. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Still a bad decision. Shooting 10-15 foot open shots will not create and-1's, fouls by opposition defenders, or spectacular momentum swing dunks, not to mention the inefficiency of mid-range shots.

This is why fans love Harden, Parsons, Lin, Asik or even Delfino. You can bet 90% of the time, those guys will go straight to the rim when open at mid-range.

13. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Nail in ppat's coffin right here

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yep. I mean he's a good outlet and you do need roleplayers like that. Not everybody can be a ball handler who creates his own shot; you need guys who specialize in taking open looks created by their teammates.

But to be a starting caliber roleplayer like that, you need to be more like Parsons and bring more to the table than just knocking down open looks. You need to be an average or better defender, you need to grab boards, do something besides being a jump shooter.

Patterson has such a one-dimensional game. He's a mediocre defender, a crappy rebounder, he's not great at making the extra pass or setting picks... all he can really do is shoot.

For me that makes him more of a 20mpg bench player.

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

I would love DeMarcus but you are way to biased in this. The chances of Cousins coming here are low. And Lin & Jones for Cousins sounds like a pipe dream.

16. dantian

dantian Member

PP has some solid offensive moves and very nice strokes. With strong will to work, he has the potential to become a David West type of impact Pf. Right now though, he is just a complementary player and best suited as an effective bench player on a very good team.

17. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

We may not be able to swing a deal for him, but I think Petrie will put out some feelers, even move Cuz at the right price.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You Lin fans are completely and utterly unbearable.

You somehow found a way to take Pattersons scoring, credit it to Lin and also discredit it for Pat.

Its a team game and you need everyone on the court doing their part to be successful. Its not fools gold, its called running an offense.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

He was actually more crediting the defensive attention drawn by Harden. I don't have a horse in this race (the whole LOF/LOH thing) and I'm sick of there being a race at all, but when you watch the games, he has a point. Patterson has been scoring mainly when he's wide open, and mainly off of jump shots.

20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

LOL @ effective bench player. PPat would start on half the teams in the league. The heat would love to slide Bron back to the sf and put Pat-Pat at pf.

I've never understood the love with Cousins. His basketball iq is undoubtedbly low and he shoots in the low 40's. You guys are just in love with big names. He's Big Al with expanded range but less efficient