1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Rockets trade for Howard works

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BatteryChucker, Jul 2, 2012.

1. BatteryChucker

Interesting article from John Hollinger, who's pretty knowledgeable about salaries and how pieces fit. It's an ESPN Insider piece:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/howard_120702/nba-top-landing-spot-dwight-howard

For those that don't have Insider, he brings up 5 teams who want to trade for him - Houston, Brooklyn, Lakers, Dallas, and Golden State. He has the best deal for Howard being Houston. Here's his quote:

"Houston

The Rockets are looking at merely renting Howard for this season and hoping he'll re-sign afterward. It's a huge risk, mainly because any deal with Howard also is going to stick the Rockets with a bunch of bad contracts that might be on their books long after Howard is gone. But between New Jersey's cap situation and the fact Houston can offer the best deal if it has Howard's Bird Rights, it could be a worthwhile risk.

At first glance, it seemed as if Houston's offer sheet with Omer Asik might complicate matters by eliminating some of the Rockets' ability to soak up bad contracts from the Magic.

Actually, nothing of the sort. Thanks to the provision in the new CBA that trade dollars between teams need only be within 50 percent of each other, the best way to unload a bunch of money in a superstar trade now exists above the cap, not below it.

Houston wouldn't be taking bad Orlando contracts into cap space; it'd be taking them on and sending two-thirds of the dollar value back.

A workable deal can be had hinging on the expiring contracts of Kevin Martin and Kyle Lowry going to the Magic, as well as a flotilla of young assets to help the Magic rebuild.

Chief among them are the six first-round picks Houston has from the past three seasons: Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris, Donatas Motiejunas, Jeremy Lamb, Terrence Jones, and Royce White.

Amazingly, the Rockets can trade all six of them, as well as last season's starting backcourt of Martin and Lowry, and still have a very strong team. They'd solidify the backcourt by re-signing Goran Dragic and Courtney Lee, starting Chandler Parsons and Luis Scola at forward, and having Howard at center with Asik backing him up.

The rest of the team would be built from the Magic's leftovers; for instance, if Houston included Patterson, Morris, Motiejunas and Jones, Orlando could conceivably dump Jason Richardson, Davis and Duhon on Houston along with Howard.

Doing that would leave Houston with a second unit of Duhon, Richardson, White, Lamb, Davis and Asik -- not too shabby -- and the Rockets still could fortify that with another guard via the under-cap midlevel exception. (Incidentally, it also would threaten to make Houston the first team in recorded history to sign a player with cap space and pay luxury tax in the same season.)

But what of a post-Howard nuclear winter? The Rockets would be capped out with a very average roster for a couple of seasons, but even that scenario presumes they couldn't work a sign-and-trade to get some assets back. At worst, they'd have one very good year with Howard and two bad ones after he left. It's a risk that seems worth taking."

1 person likes this.
  2. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I thought I just read (somewhere, not sure where) that Howard is thinking Nets or stay and check out free agency next year.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I would HATE that type of deal. Take on a bunch of terrible cap contracts? No thanks.

4. mic

mic Contributing Member

Dwight has lost all credibility... I was on board before/during the draft, but no more.

5. BatteryChucker

I read that too - thing is right now if they choose to trade him he won't have a choice. I have no doubt they'll trade him rather than lose him for nothing.

6. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

This would be chaotic if/when Dwight leaves...then we are back being mediocre which everyone hates...forget Dwight move on

7. ILoveTheRockets

4 way trade(Rockets-Lakers-Nets-Orlando), sending dwight to nets, lopez to rockets bynum to orlando... dunno what lakers would get lol.

Just get something done, jesus.

8. justtxyank

Zero interest in Lopez.

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I wouldn't be too concerned Morey isn't going to trade 6 former 1st round picks.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If the Rockets dont get a title next year..this trade is not worth the risk...and will not happen...The Rockets are looking to go elsewhere...

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Nice article... good read... thx...

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'm sure Morey knows Dwight can leave and he won't kill future cap flexibility in case he bounces. An "expert" like Hollinger should know this as well.

13. justtxyank

Upon rereading I think Hollinger was just using hypotheticals to make his point about the CBA and how it works in our favor, not actually suggesting a trade.

14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I still think that if Dwight gets traded it will be to Houston. We simply have the best offer. Dwight can beg and plead to go to the Nets all he wants but the Magic don't have to do that. After all the hell Dwight put the Magic through the last thing the magic are gonna do is obey what Dwight wants.

If he gets traded it will be to us and if he doesn't then he plays in Orlando and leaves after the season.

15. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I'd still take Dwight.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Hey this gives me an idea. I think I'll cash in my 401k and throw a rocking 4th of July party on the lake. It will be awesome.

1 person likes this.
  17. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

No thanks

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Anyone else catch this?

19. BatteryChucker

You missed this part:

"The rest of the team would be built from the Magic's leftovers; for instance, if Houston included Patterson, Morris, Motiejunas and Jones, Orlando could conceivably dump Jason Richardson, Davis and Duhon on Houston along with Howard."

1 person likes this.
  20. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Dwight will be wearing Rockets red this coming season. It's simply inevitable with all the assets we have. Lowry,Martin plus three young studs for a possible rental would be the best offer the Magic would ever get for teams willing to risk a possible rental.

The only possible competition here would be the Lakers if they offer Bynum but i don't see LA pulling that trigger without a promise of an extension from Dwight which he made clear by stating that he would only sign an extension with Brooklyn.