1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Rockets are very much still in this series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 29, 2014.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

IMO, Rockets-Blazers has been the most INTENSE first round series. Brutal. I think the Rockets can play smarter, harder, and better. Personally, I don't think Portland has another gear. That may be the "shift" you are talking about.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I also think that the guys have had 4 games to learn. 4 games to get comfortable. And the more talented team but less cohesive team should get better game by game - if we are truly the more talented team.

If Game 5 can be a game that turns a corner for this team. And by corner I mean about this team truly becoming a team and truly understanding what it takes to win in the playoffs versus the regular season.

3. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

I have a feeling the next two games the REFs will be in our favors and force a game 7 were it will be neutral calls.

Also feel we win tomorrows game by double digits, and win in Portland by double digits.

4. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Just win one game at a time.

5. Jblazea50

Jblazea50 Member

In order for Rox to win the series, McHale has to implement a real NBA playbook instead of just giving the ball to Harden and Howard and telling them to score. Need to run screens and picks to get Harden, Parsons, and Daniels open looks.

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

The league has issued two apologies in one week, each for situations where they wrongly awarded the Blazers FTs in incredibly close games. I think the notion that Portland is some unbeatable juggernaut is just that -- a notion.

7. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

8 teams won the series after being down 3-1

6 of them had HC

Sweet.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't think we have turned any corner (since G3). We do have another gear, but I don't think we will go to that gear, at least not consistently.

But I'm optimistic. Other than G2, we have outplayed the Blazer 75% of the time. We lost 2 of those 3 due to late 4Q collapse. We know why we collapse. We already addressed one of it (the hack the Howard). We already addressed LMA (TT). We contain Lillard and Mo pretty well (hedge hard on PnR). We have yet found a way to stop Matthew/Batum, but if they are the only two going, I like our chances. We simply need to learn to close out and I think we have a good chance to in G5 and G6. I don't see it as winning 3 games in a row. It's winning the next 2 games. G6 is the toughest one to win. G7 will work itself out.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Really doesn't matter if the Rockets can't figure out how to look competent down the stretch in games. Those calls don't matter if the Rockets don't completely collapse in the closing minutes over each game. Rockets have no chance if they can't figure it out.

10. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

When we are up 10 points, we have to play like we're down 2 with 24 seconds left. We need to play hard (I think they do that), smart, and focused the ENTIRE game - no brainless moments. When we're up 10, we need to push it to 20 - don't allow anymore close games!!!

1 person likes this.
  11. solid

solid Contributing Member

This is exactly the mindset you must have. All season the Rockets "relax" when they get a lead, then they lose it.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That is the issue. Similar pattern in the 3 OT games. We are up by double digits as we outplay the Blazers for most of the game, but then when it's crunch time and the Blazers bring up the intensity a few notches, we get too careful on the offensive end and taken aback by their aggressiveness.

We need to set the tone and be the more aggressive team. We need to especially understand that we have to have the energy to take it up a notch in the 4th qtr. Guy really have to know that there has to be that extra gear. And they have to play like a junkyard dog.

13. autoprt

autoprt Member

i'm watching the wash/chi series and it reminds me of our series, you would think the bulls would win no problem but the guard play of washington is tremendous.

my concern is the pg position even with bev. lillard is an amazing guard and seems to get better and more confident each game. all i know to do is pray we can win.

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You have lost all credibility. Actually you never had any.

15. autoprt

autoprt Member

we'll need all the prayer we can get to win this series.

16. autoprt

autoprt Member

also whatever...

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

We won this game with 4th quarter defensive intensity. Something lacking in the prior 4 games.

Shift has happened!

A total team effort. What a show of togetherness and playing together. These guys finally get it. They may not win in Game 6, but they sure do have a heck of a chance!

18. zdrav

zdrav Member

Harden needs one of his games where he takes 14 shots but scores 35 points. Boom, Rockets can win.

19. GMNot

GMNot Member

Yes, the Rox are still alive. But when the Blazers pulled to within 1 in Game 5 I'm sure a lot of fans felt the stress. After Game 4 it would be easy to think, "OH NO, here we go again."

Silly fouls, bad passes, not finishing at the rim enough, 3-point shots from players who shouldn't be shooting them so much (because it doesn't pressure the defense as much as driving the basket), forcing some shots (Howard is sometimes a bit too far from the rim, but shoots a hook shot anyway), blown ref. calls... etc. And I think, still, not enough crisp ball movement. Team mentality can be fragile. It is the coach's responsibility to correct these types of mistakes, but s/he also has to keep the positives front and center. A tightrope. I think McHale is learning how to walk that tightrope the same as the team is learning (hopefully) to correct their mistakes.

These are the stumbling blocks to winning game 6 in Portland. If the Rockets clean a lot of this up and play good defense, I give them at least even odds to make it to a Game 7. But these, seemingly "minor" errors aren't minor in this series. They have allowed Portland to stifle any sustained momentum the Rockets get. The teams are too closely matched for any real wiggle room for mistakes. And Portland does exhibit an impressive level of poise when they are down by 10 points or so. Why shouldn't they? The Rockets haven't been able to sustain any sizable leads yet in this series.

Troy Daniels might be a wild card, but I've been impressed with the Blazers 3-point shooting in the series, too -- especially when "matching" big 3's by the Rockets.

Beverly is certainly a spark plug for team grittiness, but he, too, takes a bit too many out-of-flow 3's. Maybe because the shot-clock is running down. The problem with many of these 3's is that often teammates are not in good rebounding position and it's a one-and-done possession.

If the Rockets can pull this off it will be interesting to see if they have grown in any ways from such a tough series and situation. Since the same types of turnovers seem to keep happening it's hard to gauge for sure. I think they are who they are for this season's playoffs. They ranked next to last in turnovers for the season. I don't' know if any championship team can sustain that many errors.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We need a Pacers@Rox version of Harden. I was so drunk that night; we ended it at Hearsay watching Harden go off on them in the third quarter. That Harden would be a Godsend right about now.

[​IMG]