1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Rockets are very much still in this series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know, I wrote them off a few days ago for losers. But I realize they actually are not in horrible position. I think they have a decent shot of pulling this off.

1. They are showing some real passion. This team was hanging their heads at the end of game 2. But since then, the message has been received. Especially the way they played in the last game. I feel they are realizing what it takes to win - and they are learning quickly.

For as much as people rip on Lin (and he deserves it) - that video is a testament to both his failure and to his perseverance. He got the rebound, and tried to dribble it out from away from the baseline to the other side of the floor. Lost it. Almost got the rebound on THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FLOOR, got on the floor to scramble for it. Got up, and once again ran to the OTHER SIDE of the floor.

You have to respect the passion - if not the result.

2. They seem to play better in desperate situations. We've been making comebacks all year because we're a young team that's very talented and wins alot just on talent. The playoffs have been an adjustment as we've never come in as the favorite.

3. Maturity is there: What gives me the most encouraging sign was the last play in regulation when Harden drove and dished to Howard for a dunk. I was surprised...and impressed. I was sure he would have taken it to the hole. It reflects maturity from Harden. Maturity and trust. I don't think I have seen Harden do that very much. Howard more than anyone is showing leaderships. But Harden has too despite all the criticisms. They haven't fallen apart but instead come back each came fighting for their lives. I expect them with the home crowd to be just the same.

4. I think Troy Daniels is a big wildcard that scares the Trailblazers. Why would Mo Williams be trying to scuffle with a dleague rookie? To get into his head? Or because he is genuinely intimidated - or reflexing that POR is genuinely worried about him? His sharp-shooting will cause Portland to overplay him and open up the center for Harden to finally do his thing. And these guys might have finally found out how to play together on both ends of the court. I see it happening.

5. 2 of the 3 remaining games are at home. That's huge. We're not going to lose a game 7 at home. So it's just getting there. We win tomorrow and anything can happen in POR in what will probably be a wild and crazy game.

6. Rockets execution as bad as it is has improved with each game. That's definitely encouraging. We were a few executions away from winning the last game. We can definitely win at home if we don't make major mental blunders.

3 people like this.
  2. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

You're the most Kneejerk poster in this forum.

But you're right this time. We have a chance. Three in a row (with 2 at home) for this talented team is definitely possible. Likely... NO.

1 person likes this.
  3. Relentless

Relentless Member

Gotta hit them free throws bruh, missed 11 in game 4.

I still can't believe it

4. chandlerbang21

I dont see much passion in most players on this team. Harden in particular

5. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

We just need to treat it one game at a time with a sudden death mentality. The way it really is now and should have been. Every time we build up a good lead we play fancy ball and give it up. We seem to play our best basketball when we are down.

We are $1.4 which is -6 for game 5. It's time to play our best basketball and aim for a big win.

6. edlkf

edlkf Contributing Member

Thanks for the inspiration. Repped.

7. Doktor Mndbndr

I'm gonna lazily go with the default, unadjusted 1-in-8 odds. 12.5%. Not great but not zero, either. Just win, and we'll talk about 1-in-4.

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

this truly isnt about winning 3 games in a row

its about playing a game wednesday at home and needing to win that game.

then having to win a game on the road where they could have (and probably should have) won the last game - but at least they have shown they can win in Portland and that the Rose Garden isnt as intimidating to them as it is to other teams.

Then at that point its another game to play in front of your home crowd.

The only thing I personally fear is that if there is a game 6 that we'll see like Scott Foster, Ed Malloy and Tony Brothers all officiate the game since there is still a lot of media backlash against Howard and the Blazers have been media darlings since the beginning of the season - even mentioned as title contenders. The would be the better story line.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

My hopes are pretty dashed, but I guess we'll see. I just can't handle seeing them choke away every late lead they manage to get. I'd love to be proven wrong, though...

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

7. The junkyard dog has spoken to the team.

11. WNBA

WNBA Member

Just one word: referees.

If you think Rockets are still in the game, you did not watch NBA much.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think one game at a time is good, but I love the optimism.

One think I mentioned before the game is that I hated the Rockets being the favorites to win the series. I would rather all of the experts have picked Portland in the first series.

I think the Rockets traditionally have done well when everyone underestimated them. They are under the radar and have something additional to prove by winning.

It's slightly less pressure. I bring it up because I think the Rockets have not handled the pressure of the playoffs well. I think Harden's troubles have been, at least in part, due to him trying to do much, and when that wasn't working, trying to do more in order to shake that off and redeem himself. I think it's played with the Rockets minds.

Maybe now that they are down 3-1 and have nothing to lose, and are definitely not favored to win the series, enough pressure will be off of the team that they can relax and play their style of free flowing basketball.

In addition, after Mo Williams going up and talking trash after the game to Troy Daniels, there is now an enemy worthy of our hate. Along with Mario's speech to the team, they have a lot of intangibles on their side.

I don't know if that will happen or not, but I have hope.

#12 FranchiseBlade, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  13. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

If we win game 6 (assuming we win tomorrow) we're gonna win the series 100%. No way we're gonna lose at home game 7.

14. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Will take it one game at a time :) Hoping for a win in game 5.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

If you say so ...

16. makio9

makio9 Member

According to a source, 8 teams out of 200 and...I forget maybe 217 playoff series have won from being 3-1 down. I did quick math ion my head at the time and it was around 1/25th chance for us to advance if we go by history.

That's good odds!

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Nothing short of gut blasting effort will be enough to go 3-0 against Portland. They have played their hearts out, smart and hard. That's why they are 3-1. It is going to take an even greater effort to beat them, especially three games in a row. It starts tomorrow.

18. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Thats all series, look at first round n teams with HC that went down 3-1. The % is higher

19. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

The way I see it.. we had 2 days to get our hopes back up again.... let's hope they don't get crushed again this time around.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

For us to go 3-0, something would have had to fundamentally shift to put us into a position of dominance.

If these teams are very evenly matched as indicated by all the OT games. Then it's a 1/8 of a chance we make it. I think something has shifted, and I think if Portland has to face a game 7 on the road, they will crack as a team.

So really we have at least a 1/4 shot and maybe a bit more. But game 5 will be tough. Really tough. Portland is playing with confidence and they are looking to close out. They don't like us and we don't like them.

I think the team is mad now. Mad they are in this hole. Mad that Mo williams is taunting them. Mad that they are being laughed at.

It's about time.