1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Restricting Guns & Magazines in NOT the Answer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Jan 15, 2013.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Everyone needs to own a 3D printer.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not in all gun sales. Private sellers are not required to perform background checks.

3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Well that is where I'm on your side but not in anything else you propose.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At least that is a start.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I don't think a single ICBM has been sold on the black market.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

An ICBM is just the vehicle for a nuclear weapon but you know that.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Everyone will.

8. Svpernaut

These are for you CometsWin...

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/ny-congressman-introducing-ban-on-3d-printed-high

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre...essman-who-wants-to-ban-3d-printable-guns-qa/

But 3D printers aren't a threat, right?

9. amaru

amaru Member

Its easy to point out a problem OP......what is your solution (excuse me if you have already provided it.)

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

A vehicle whose primary purpose is deterrence. We have come full circle.

11. Svpernaut

I've pointed out the solution many times. We need to get to the root of the violence, not how the violence is perpetrated. Enter mental health and societal changes. Why are violent crimes 4x higher in the city? Why are violent crimes higher in low-income areas? Why does mental illness generally go undetected or ignored?

Technology is going to continue to make it easier for people to get weapons, just as UPS and the internet did. Ending the war on drugs would save the most lives, with the least amount of effort. The billions saved from that lost cause, could fund education and employment projects in lower income areas and mental health studies and treatment across the board.

1 person likes this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually agree with you about the main thing that needs to be done.

13. Svpernaut

But you're okay with people wasting political capital on "feel good" legislation and executive orders? That's baffling to me.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

No, like I said legislation that will reduce some of the deaths is okay with me, even if other things need to be done to address the larger issue.

If I'm having an operation to address the main cause of my pain, I don't mind taking aspirin or pain medication to deal with some of the symptoms in the mean time.

15. Svpernaut

But while you're taking the aspirin the cancer is eating away inside at 99.99% the rate.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Again, that's going to happen unless I get the operation no matter what. If that's going to happen, addressing the symptoms is a good thin, and certainly not a bad one. I'm in favor of getting the operation that will remove the cancer, but while I'm waiting for that, I prefer to be in less pain from the symptoms.

17. Svpernaut

For those who think we are far off... check out this video with the latest 3D printing at last year's 3D printer show.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XEKns8T7yUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Awesome technology. Thanks for posting.

A red herring in the gun control debate.

19. Granville

Granville Member

Bottom line is firing a gun in rapid fire makes Supernut's weiner tingle and he would intentionally break the Law if it makes his tingle Berries feel good, You sound like a drug addict justifying his habit.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

The same people who are desperate to keep guns around also want to have less money devoted to things you're talking about. And those who want to put some control on guns also advocate such things. Republicans have put laws in place to prevent the ATF and other government agencies from going in depth in trying to root out the problems. They also want to cut costs to agencies that police or help those living in areas of high levels of violence.

So from a practical standpoint, you're either going to have gun control along with other measures to help the high-risk civilians, or it's basically no control on anything. Unfortunately, that's what happens when one side never compromise nor give a flip about solving problems.

So serious crimes rate has gone up with advancing technology throughout the world? This doesn't sound right on the surface. Is there data that support this?

I agree with the war on drugs though. Although like I said above, the people who would never support legalization of drugs are also the ones who would never spend a dime more than they have to on education and helping the needy.