1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Restricting Guns & Magazines in NOT the Answer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Jan 15, 2013.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Oh, boy. (*sigh*)

One problem at a time. We'll deal with Scottie inventing the beam-me-up while in warp-drive when we get to it.

The "let's allow everyone to have their assault rifles because really crafty Star Trek f****rs will circumvent this anyway" doesn't really wash.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Your ignorance is quite hilarious.

<iframe src="http://embed.ted.com/talks/lisa_harouni_a_primer_on_3d_printing.html" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://embed.ted.com/talks/anthony_atala_printing_a_human_kidney.html" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/viz4Ijahddg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Guns are like alcohol: they go better together.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I try to compromise on the issue. I understand that argument, but there is no reason why someone needs to have more than 8-10 rounds.

Sure, there are going to be cases where a shooter can reload in 2-3 seconds, but its a lot harder to carry 10 magazines vs 3 magazines. Its also a lot harder to stay focus to shoot off 100 rounds with 10 swaps vs 3 swaps.

But again, 1-2 death shooting incidents are the bigger problem.

5. Svpernaut

I can concede that fact, but like your last sentence shows... the focus should be elsewhere, and that's the point. I don't have tons of 30 round mags and I sure as crap don't go out shooting hundreds of .223 rounds at a time, because of the the cost. But I also fully appreciate the rights of those who can and want the freedom to do so.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So that's no children killed in school after their parents dropped them off and expected them to be alive when they picked them up? Thanks.

7. Svpernaut

But some were killed on the way to or from school I'm sure. The location is meaningless. A mad-man went and killed peaceful Sikh's, their lives are just as important as people who were killed in the movie theater, or shopping mall... or by their mothers in the bathtub. The argument brings nothing to the topic at hand.

8. CometsWin

Hey gun boy, we accept that people do bad things and they will always do bad things. That's not the damn point. We all realize, except for you apparently, that cars have a purpose other than killing people and every driver must be licensed, their car registered and insured, and there are laws for the use of that vehicle. The primary purpose of a gun is to kill, period, and there are zero laws requiring registration, licensing, insurance, acceptable uses, acceptable storage. This whole guns vs cars argument is beyond ****ing stupid. You're not having a discussion, you're just throwing **** at the wall.

9. CometsWin

No the location is not meaningless. A school is supposed to be a safe place for children. No 8 year old child or parent should be afraid because some ******* with an ar15 might show up someday during art class. You just don't get it.

10. Svpernaut

People go through training for a car, glad to know that... because distracted drivers who text, or talk on the phone or eat kill more kids than guns. The primary purpose of a gun isn't to kill. I own many guns and I haven't killed a thing with a gun in over 20 years.... and it is the same for most gun owners. Less than .0017% of gun owners every kill anyone. The % of people with cars who kill other people is MUCH higher.

11. Svpernaut

An area is supposed to be safe? This is a world with 7 billion people, some of which are ****ing insane. No place is safe.

12. CometsWin

The primary purpose of a gun isn't to kill? Well that explains why you don't know what you're talking about. Thanks.

13. CometsWin

7 billion people with baseball bats is quite a bit safer for the 8 year old in art class I'm guessing. You're a waste of time.

1 person likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

primary purpose of a firearm is to inflict physical damage.... Primary purpose of a car is to transport people.

15. Svpernaut

If the primary use of a gun was to kill, then people who had guns would be killing people. There are over 300 million legal guns in circulation in the United States, and roughly 9100 gun related homicides. Let's say that each homicide is a different gun, that means .00303% of guns are used for killing people in the US. I'm no math major, but that means there are 99.997% of guns who's main purpose is either protection, hunting or target shooting.

16. fchowd0311

What is the end state purpose of a firearm then?

17. fchowd0311

I said inflict damage didn't I? How do you protect with a gun? by inflicting or threatening to inflict damage? How do you hunt? By inflicting damage on animal.

18. fchowd0311

How many nuclear war heads are there in the world? How many people died from them in the past 50 years? See we can play this silly game of playing with numbers to selectively fit your bias but at the end of the day guns don't kill people, but they sure make it easier to do. And I know you cannot refute that statement.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Hey, look over there...

20. Svpernaut

Everything kills people. Bathtubs kill people. That's ridiculous logic too. There are 7 billion people in the world, by my calculations a few of them die every day. People DIE. People commit HORRIBLE ACTS. Shouldn't it be more important as to WHY people commit those acts than how? It's too late to take the guns back... because now people can build their own. They can 3D print body parts for Pete's sake.

Find out WHY people kill, the how is irrelevant if you find out the why.