1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Restricting Guns & Magazines in NOT the Answer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Jan 15, 2013.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

You sure are missing a lot of what was in the amendment. Good job reading.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I didn't miss the part where he tried to expand gun rights in strict gun law states. If Teddy was so concerned about crazies killing people then why did he include that and assure its defeat? Why did he threaten a fillibuster of the background check bill? Why can't we just have a majority vote? Because he knew it would pass.

1 person likes this.
  3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

U mad because you can pass anything even though you have a majority?

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

To me, there's a relationship there.

I don't know if "gun control" as a whole is a burning issue, but I think background checks are generally agreed as a logical step by most Americans, and the GOP just gave them the middle finger in order to pander to the NRA. To me, it further extends the perception that the GOP's allegiance to corporate America trumps their interest in individuals. Combine that with social trends, which are important to younger voters, and they're screwed.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Here's yet another "I told you so moment" for the 3D printing deniers.

The "Liberator" is an entirely 3D printed firearm. The only non-printed parts are a common nail used as a firing pin, and a block of metal they added to make it a compliant, detectable firearm.

[​IMG]

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre...-worlds-first-entirely-3d-printed-gun-photos/

My 3D Printer should arrive later this month... can't wait to try out many of the plans at http://defcad.org

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, you go shoot that plastic gun Svpernaut.

8. Svpernaut

It has nothing to do with me, and everything to do with criminals. I am a legal gun owner, I don't need or want a homemade gun... however, I think it is safe to say that organized crime syndicates salivate at the thought of having completely untraceable, low cost and easily printed firearms.

3D Printing scares the living hell out of politicians, not only because they can't stop armed citizens, but because they won't be able to protect the intellectual property of their powerful lobbyist buddies who line their pockets. They don't understand it, so they fear it.

Knowledge is power, and the more the people learn, the less powerful the politicians are. There are literally countless real-world applications for 3D printing, and zealous politicians would happily put a damper on a worldwide technological revolution to increase their power and line their coffers.

9. Bandwagoner

LOL is the trigger already broken? What a POS.

10. Svpernaut

Last time I checked it can take only one shot to kill someone, and that trigger can be reprinted in minutes. No one is saying that these guns will replace modern weapons any time soon, they are however an alternative for those seeking to do harm... and if this is what they can build now, what will they be able to do in a few years?

Moore's Law in full effect.

So why create them? To prove that gun control is a waste of time. Getting to the cause of the problems is key, which includes societies fascination with violence, the war on drugs and mental health. We can vastly decrease violent crime without sacrificing liberties.

The paradox of progress is nothing new.

11. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

another benefit is that 3D printers can be used for rapid prototyping.. no need to use polymers if you don't want to for the final product.

that gun is pretty hideous though. If they could make them shaped like this.. I'd probably be in for one. lol

[​IMG]

I think I'll stick with my 1911 for a bit longer for my ccw but it's good to see the technology advancing. :grin:

12. KingCheetah

The shooter is lucky it didn't blow up in his hand.

13. magnetik

most likely the prototype was placed in a shooters rest and secured. Trigger pull was probably done without the shooters hand on the grip. (that is if they were smart about it)

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't think the guns that can be printed can handle the heat generated by assault rifles on the ban list. The similar ones that overpower local security.

Polymer quality and heat resistance will become cheaper in the future, but for now, legislating gun control is a stopgap for a development that could take a good 5-10 years to filter across society.

The concept reminds me of that Clint Eastwood movie "In the Line of Fire", I'd be worried about applications for that kind of thing, but the larger push for enabling sensible controls on firearms was more about some nutjob terrorizing a public place and taking down 10 or so people.

15. Svpernaut

There's no such thing as a stop-gap with 350 million weapons already on the streets... especially for "5-10 years."

16. KingCheetah

Which means the gun is useless even if you have a 100K+ 3D printer.

17. Bandwagoner

Hard to get that shot off if your trigger breaks. Not to mention useless if you are firing through a plastic barrel with a micro powder charge.
    Nothing. These printed polymers are poor materials compared to injection molded polymers. Much less hardened steels.

I imagine they create the for the same reason people make model airplanes out of foam, it's fun and interesting. They didn't mention a mainspring, so I am already wondering if the trigger broke due some crazy sear configuration.

You guys are REALLY over hyping this 3D thing.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

That really isn't the point. Mass shootings are a very small problem in the gun control argument, regardless how hard the media and ignorant anti-gun control people want to push it.

There are a few issues with printable guns. First, there is no quality control. Even as the materials and designs get better, people will continue to hurt themselves. This of course will be a problem with kids, who will understand how to print these with no problem.
    Nearly all guns manufactured for civilian use go to legal law abiding citizens. The anti-gun crowd are working very hard to ban these weapons. Unlike printable guns, law abiding citizens will have very little interest outside of making them for fun. They won't be made for hunting, shooting or defense. Its the criminals who will be mass making these for an easily disposable weapon. They will be very difficult to trace, easily destroyed or recycled. When they can be made to consistently shoot several rounds with no problem, this will be a serious issue.

19. Bandwagoner

They also will not be close to accurate. Every time you fire will drastically change the point of impact. These are toys, probably less dangerous than model airplanes I mentioned earlier.

20. magnetik

and if a prototype leads to an improved version.. how is it useless?