1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Restricting Guns & Magazines in NOT the Answer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Jan 15, 2013.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

It's time we find a way to stop the leadership of an organization of 4 million people dictate policy for a country of 360 million.

Keep in mind this is an opinion of a gun owner.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Closing in on 5 million

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QzntZLHcYy0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

You are playing the wrong version.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/abPQYHMPk0M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Why are they effective at influencing policy and how do you stop them?

Keep in mind this is from an NRA member who is not a gun owner.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gL17LdNTVEE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keep taking pride in this. Keep taking pride in holding onto values so damn stupid and misplaced that you'd rather go against 90% of the population and do nothing to make another potential Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, Aurora, Oak Creek, Chicago, Tucson or Columbine that much more difficult. Your bloodlust and irrational fear is sickening.

So, let's make a deal: if your 2nd Amendment rights are God-given and unimpeachable, you have to quit trying to make it harder for us to exercise our 14th and 15th Amendment rights. We'll even mark it with a line in the ground like a pair of siblings fighting over who gets which side of the room.

Lord knows that's the level of discourse we're burdened with now.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Who the hell are you to determine who can revoke our constitutional rights?

The train has left the station on guns. There's millions of them out there. Further restrictions will simply help the criminals.

8. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Who the hell implied revocation? I like guns; I own them, I shoot them, I hunt. But, that doesn't get in my way from seeing that this would have, in no way at all, infringed on my rights. Why is the same system for checks at a gun dealer unconstitutional on the Internet or at the convention center? How is it any ****ing different? If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

1 person likes this.
  9. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I've been on the BBS long enough to know that replying to texxx in a D&D thread is pointless. Sorry to all concerned.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The Vietnamese and Chinese have used similar tactics with prisoners of war over the years. They get the prisoners to say one small bad thing about the US, then they push forward from there and magnify it until you've got American POWs badmouthing the US. Give an inch, take a mile. Many of us are smart enough to see through Obama and co's approach. He's looking for a small victory to snowball into more.

11. mtbrays

Supporting Member

10% of you.

12. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because a minority of senators felt they owed more to the gun lobby than to the 90% of Americans who supported it.

14. Commodore

What do the Senators gain by doing that?

15. mtbrays

Supporting Member

The votes of a highly-polarized electorate during primaries in one-party/narrow majority states.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

This is exactly the point. I'm a gun owner myself. My collection isn't complete yet. I'll buy more. I shoot guns, but nothing in the compromise in any way infringes on the right for me to have the guns. It wasn't at all about revocation.

1 person likes this.
  17. Commodore

so a majority of their voters oppose the bill?

I thought they were voting against their constituents' wishes?

This infallible 90% number is confounding.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

This is a strange post. You post something that you hope would counter the 90% poll and it's a stat that's basically within the margin of error to make it look even... That doesn't really make a point in your favor.

It also doesn't at all address the initial poll numbers posted which again shows that 90% of Americans supported this measure.

19. mtbrays

Supporting Member

God, I wish we could get a statement out of you instead of a rhetorical question. What you're asking is disingenuous and (I'd like to think) you know it.

Poll responses do not equate to voter participation. The people responding to Gallup and the Washington Post are being asked questions on the phone, not voting. Goodness knows, they may not have all of the required forms of ID to vote their conscience at the actual ballot box.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Issue is basically rural America - which don't see any problems with major crime and thus guns seem fine. But the issue is really more in urban and suburban areas which want guns to be more restricted.

Nothings going to happen until we have a Democratic prez, dem senate with 60+ votes, and a democratic house.