1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why NOT Kaepernick??

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ballgame, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Kapernick was released because of his salary demands and is hopefully unsigned only for the same reason. If Chase Daniel and Brian Hoyer and Josh McCown and Nick Foles can all get multimillon-dollar contracts and Kaepernick not, then the NFLPA should shut the league down.

#181 Bennie Anders, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  2. Nero

Nero Member

Is your place of employment unionized? If you work in Texas, it may be, but probably is not, because Texas is a 'Right to Work' state.

But sometimes, employers take advantage of employees, or at least they feel it is so, and occasionally they make rumblings of forming a union. While union membership cannot be a work requirement in Texas, unions can still exist, and can still swing a pretty hefty negotiating bat if enough employees band together.

Why is this important?

Because the leader of that newly-formed union essentially cannot be fired from his job. So some unscrupulous employees who have felt themselves being on the verge of losing their jobs for whatever reason, they are often the ones who begin to speak the loudest about forming unions. They do not do this to help anyone but themselves, because they are trying to safeguard their own jobs.

Now, why do I bring this up? I watched the 49'ers rise to Super Bowl contention when CK was the quarterback. He had some success, enough so that he began to appear in national commercials, in the same way that someone like AR in Green Bay has been doing for a while now. CK appeared on many interviews, advertisements, etc. We were all given ample opportunity to listen to the man speak.

And it really didn't go well. If he had not been the starting QB for a super-bowl football team, absolutely no one would have been lining up to listen to the man speak. Why? Because he clearly had the relative brain power of, oh, let's say, Kim Kardashian. In other words, not a lot of brain power there. And everything I have heard from ACTUAL FOOTBALL ANALYSTS support this view: the guy is just not very smart. Maybe I'm wrong, and I am judging the guy based only on the superficial things I have personally seen, and heard. At the very least, he never struck me as a great thinker, or a good conversationalist. But I could be wrong, maybe he's a great political philosopher. But I doubt it.

So suddenly, the 49'ers fall on hard times. The coach leaves, and the QB is exposed as just not very good. Things get worse and worse for CK, the writing is on the wall, he's probably going to just get cut/released soon. The league has learned how to defend the guy. He's done. He had a good, if short run, but it's over for the guy.

Well, the guy has an agent, and pals, and whoever else, all of whom benefit from the guy drawing an NFL paycheck, beyond just himself. It looked obvious to me that SOMEONE got in the guy's ear. Just like the guy who tries to form a union in order to protect his job - someone got in CK's ear and said 'Hey Kap, you should protest! Look at all the injustice out there, cops be killin black folk man! You should get out there and make a stand against it! You're a STAR, dude!' Something like that.

Now Kap may not be a GENIUS, but he ain't no dummy either. He knows as well as everyone else does that he's probably done, about to get cut, he's on his way out. So he thinks, 'Why not? I bet they wouldn't DARE cut me if I become a national story as the leader of some movement. It would make the Niners look TERRIBLE if they cut me then!' Maybe he didn't even think this, I have no idea, but I bet SOMEONE close to him did.

In any case, once all that crap started, there was no way the Niners could cut the guy without it looking like they cut him because of the protesting, even though it was already clear to everyone who had been paying attention that the guy was soon to be a goner anyway.

But look how it has turned out for him? He hung onto a paycheck for a whole extra season. Yay for him, it worked. And now that he has finally been let go, miraculously he no longer feels the need to protest. Because unlike the Niners, no one else is on the hook for him and his antics, no one else is held hostage by the appearance of firing a guy just because he is making a brave stand for social justice.

No, the teams in the league are simply not in a hurry to bring that into their locker rooms, because now, whether he protests or not, he carries that same stigma - cut the guy, you are cutting him because of the protesting he once did. It's unavoidable.

And as some have pointed out, he's simply not a very good QB, and certainly not good enough to warrant taking on that whole extra burden and distraction.

Now maybe this is just me being cynical. I don't know. But from the very beginning, it looked like a cynical ploy, put into his head by someone who got in his ear, in an attempt to hang onto his paycheck for a little while longer.

And nothing more.

Let me put it another way. If he had gotten BETTER as a QB, improved, become invaluable to the Niners.. do you really think he would have suddenly grown a three-foot afro and started this protesting thing?

In any case, this is what it LOOKED like to me, a rather typical NFL fan. And appearances are important. You've heard the term 'Perception is reality'? It's very true in this case.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Because they're all just a bunch of racists, amirite?

shut the league down! lol

4. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Nero you are clearly depraved and psychotic and it's not surprising to find you on a Houston-themed message board given the fact maggots like you elected Greg Abbott, Dan Patrick, Ken Paxton and Ted Cruz as your political leadership.

5. bigtexxx

I didn't vote for any of them, moron. Take your politics to the D&D. Don't bring your squalor and pig slop in here.

6. Nero

Nero Member

Annnd Merry Christmas to you too. The hilarious part is that people like this guy run around thinking *I* am the one with hatred inside me. Nope. The hatred is obvious in this guy, whoever he is.

Pen15clubber and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  7. tc0330

tc0330 Member

I'd rather have Tebow than Kaep..

8. ballgame

ballgame Member

I see you like to drink on Sundays.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I dunno, both are terrible at football and distractions off the field even if it is for different reasons.

Nook and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  10. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Because the racist, bigot hypocrites will be too hateful.

But Ben rothlisberger, a rapist, still has a job and oh yea the multiple time wife beater josh Brown for the giants still have a job.

Gota love the equality of America ;)

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The difference of course is talent. Like I've said for a while now, you can either be a distraction or suck at football but you can't be both. Ben Roethlisberger and Jameis Winston are rapists but they don't suck at football and if they did, they'd be out of a job.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  12. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Yes. I. Do.

13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I really think any smart team would stay away from guys like kap and tebow because you are all over ESPN everyday for all the wrong reasons

Nook and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  14. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/27/las-vegas-raiders-replay-review-overtime-nfl-meetings

I think there’s one thing to add to what Joe Thomas wisely tweeted (in Tweets of the Week, above) about Colin Kaepernick still being unemployed 17 days into free agency: Think owners. Think of owners having to approve contracts of signees. Think of even quarterback-needy teams going to owners to sign off on signings. Think, for instance, of Houston. Think of the owner there, Bob McNair. TV cameras find McNair in his box at Texans home games, and who is sitting next to him, very often? Former President George H.W. Bush. Think of his private life; McNair is huge in the Republican Party, and according to USA Today, he has contributed more than $3 million to the campaigns of Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell. Think of Houston GM Rick Smith going to McNair and asking about signing Kaepernick, saying something like, We’re not sure if he’s going to start or be third-string, but we’d like to bring him to camp and see what he’s got and see if he’s a fit for our offense. Think of what McNair would think. McNair is one of the nicest men in the league—truly. But he’s not signing a man who knelt for the national anthem last year. I’m not defending that thought, the thought that Kaepernick doesn’t have the right to do that. He certainly does. I will defend it forever. But owners have the right, then, to not sign him when he comes available as well. You know how Kaepernick can fix that? Talk. Say something. We have heard nothing from Kaepernick since the end of the season. If my professional life were on the line, I know I’d take a proactive stance and make sure people know exactly where I stand. NFL owners, GMs and coaches have no idea what they would be getting in Kaepernick right now. All football? Part-time football and part-time protestor? What? Say something, Colin.

If we take away the emotion of this story—are teams blackballing Colin Kaepernick?—and bring the story down to football, the one thing that is undeniable about Kaepernick is that he does not attempt the throws into downfield windows like some of the consistent veteran quarterbacks. This is not to say he can’t do that; it is simply to say he bypasses throws the Tom Bradys and Drew Breeses and Russell Wilsons will try (and complete, often). You’ll look at Kaepernick’s 16-to-4 touchdown-to-pick ratio in 2016 and think he’s efficient in a sea of badness in San Francisco. But people who watch the tape think otherwise. They see a jittery guy in the pocket who either doesn’t, or won’t, make downfield throws that other quarterbacks do. The thing is, it’s easy to say he’s getting blackballed based on 2012 and 2013. But life changes. Priorities change. Who is he now? The people Kaepernick needs to convince have no idea who he is right now.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

^^^Imagine bringing in this fool and putting him on the same field as JJ Watt(one of the most patriotic superstars in the NFL)...

Kaepernick will never ever where a Texans uniform. Period.

17. ballgame

ballgame Member

As I said before, one of our own, Duane Brown, protested by holding up his fist during the National Anthem and there wasn't any problems......so I don't think if we signed Kaep and he kneeled it would be a problem.

Besides, he said he wouldn't protest this yr. because he feel as though his point was made.

18. bigtexxx

Duane Brown can play football at a high level! Kaep is not at the same relative level for QBs! These two are not equal situations at all.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  19. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

He's not that good...that's pretty much it. Why bring in someone that's not going to significantly improve your team while also bringing a lot of hate and controversy at the same time? It doesn't make sense. The only folks that would fight to bring him in are the ones that want their team to stand for his politics and be okay with having a sub-par season. Is there anyone in the league that's cool with that? Yeah, there are, but they're a very small minority, unfortunately for the Pro-KC fans. I doubt any of them are owners...which is why he doesn't have a job yet.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Duane Brown is under a contract with an NFL team...his employment is currently secure... When it comes time for contract renegotiations...we shall see if he gets more with the Texans or not. Any employer has to ask this question...
    1. Is he any good at this point in his life...
    2. Is he a distraction...
    3. Is his contributions to the company greater than the distractions...

Kaep is a No, yes, No...

Brown is a Yes, yes, yes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.