1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why NOT go so deep in one position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by brantonli24, Jun 29, 2012.

1. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

The more I think about Morey's choices in this draft, the more obvious it is. We all remember our despair when Aaron Brooks was drafted when we already had Francis, Alston, James on board. Clearly a deal is going down, but for people complaining that we have too many forwards, think about what will be the case when we (eventaully) will complete a trade to get rid of some of those forwards.

If we had a perfectly balanced team of 3 deep role players at each position, then the moment you need to trade for a significant piece, you are left with a very big weakness in one of those positions. But by stockpiling talent in one of them (and I reckon Morey thinks that teams with tradeable superstars are lacking in the forwards category, or else he wouldn't have drafted them), even after you have completed the blockbuster trade, there's still sufficient talent to plug the hole.

I think the most telling point of all of this is that despite all the trade scenarios thrown around, very people have been saying that 'X trade will leave us will a hole in Y position'.

So relax.

A trade will come down, and when it does, we'll be glad that we have the depth at forwards that we have now which won't leave us with a gaping hole in SF or PF.

2. Trackball

Trackball Member

I certainly HOPE a trade goes down.

I still remember all that fuss some Rockets fans (and at least one then-current player!) raised over trading a power forward for a shooting guard.

Of course, that guard we got was Clyde Drexler...however, the argument seemed validated when we went 17-18 post-trade. (Seriously, we were 30-17 before it happened.)

But we all know what happened in those playoffs, right?

Anyway, yes. Trade most of them away--just don't bring in more forwards in doing so! Point guards, shooting guards, CENTERS--just not forwards!

3. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Morey is now the David Kahn of Forwards

1 person likes this.
  4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Wait until the trade is Kevin Martin in a package for Josh Smith or something. Or Luol Deng.

5. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

that would be too awesome.:grin:

6. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

bwahahaha

7. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

why? it would just help keep us in the middle and take away PT from our young guys.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Morey is a Forward thinker. Deal with it

9. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

Misleading title, was expecting something about an adult film.

:p

1 person likes this.
  10. scottie brooks

If any teams are lacking forwards, its because Maury is snatching them all up.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You're rationalizing. I highly doubt he has any specific trade he was accomodating. Morey figures he can trade away guys to balance the roster. But, then -- it takes two to tango, so maybe he can't.

That said, I don't think the positional glut is a big deal. If you're not competing anyway, why would it matter if you have too many forwards? The problem is we have too many children on the roster. We only have 3 players of any consequence that are not on rookie deals.

12. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Kahn is the Daryl Morey of point guards.

13. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I like to go deep in multiple positions....

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Morey is now the Genghis Khan of Forwards.....

1 person likes this.
  15. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Think of things this way. Before the draft, a rumour went about that we might be offering Parsons+Lowry+14 for 5th and Evans. Now that we have so many forwards, we wouldn't mind giving up our up and coming rookie.

16. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

I'm not complaining. I'll wait until the end of free agency before deciding whether or not i'm content with what Morey's moves.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If the roster had an unlimited number of spots, it would be fine. But when having 127 PF's limits the number of players you can have at other positions on the floor, it presents a problem.

I generally enjoy seeing the work of GM's/organizations that are trying to build a team instead of seeing how many tally marks they can make under one particular position. We've played the game of acquiring #assets for later...#assets for later...#assets for later for quite a while now. I don't see a lot of takers giving us the kind of return we need in order to be a legit contender. So I have no idea what the eff we're building.

18. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

*Morey

19. Mariachi ROCKET

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I don't think Morey was drafting forwards more than any other position just to apease any possible trade partner or because he was running down rosters and pin pointed that position as one of need for those teams...

I believe that if at 12, 16, and 18 the BPA would have been PGs he would have selected all of them. I feel like we're setting up depth yes, but all these guys don't play traditional positions, they're all very flexible in where they can play once on the floor. And I believe our other more established young players may be the assets that would be moved in trades, with these guys being the replacements to those moves.

Therefore, I like this draft Lamb will be a beast, better than what Martin has been and White/Jones were both value picks.... I like this draft and I don't think the moving of peices is over just yet.