1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why not go for two?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm like the Pete Rose of BRB, hopefully the next Commissioner does the right thing.

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Please provide a link stating the above.

I have a hard time grasping Godsey agreeing to perform OC duties without the title or pay.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You don't need a link, just look to any audio of BOB on the sidelines, he sometimes calls up to Godsey and tells him a type of play to call or whatever, but Godsey calls the exact plays down to Fitz.

4. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

soooo why would Godsey agree to that?

way more work for way less pay.

i have to question his intelligence.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why did BOB agree to it in NE when he called plays for Belichick as the QB coach?

6. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

probably working with a HOF QB had something to do with it....

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Or.....he knew that it would further his career, which is exactly the same as why Godsey is doing it.

8. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

hm, i beg to differ.

calling plays for scrub fitzpatrick is not good for your look.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well maybe you're just looking at it in a sort of short sighted way, it doesn't matter who you are calling plays for, play calling experience in the NFL is incredibly valuable.....and you probably know that you just chose instead to make a cheap knock on Fitz

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i could not disagree more.

whoever is calling plays for peyton manning constantly gets praise/HC job whether it's warranted or not. (same thing is happening to Russell Wilson's OC)

a play caller's QB is a gargantuan piece to the puzzle.

I am simply stating if I was Godsey and I am the "unofficial OC" with Fitz at QB, no way i take on that duty unless I am 1) desperate for a job and/or 2) big time financial trouble.

11. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

It's to shield him from criticism and blame most likely because he's never called plays before. O'Brien apparently thinks that he'll be a really good OC in due time and at that point he'll probably give him the official title. That's the plan at least I'm guessing.

(on if he has final say on calling offensive plays) “I have final say on every play call on all three phases. I would say that it’s a collaborative effort that has been very efficient in getting the play in to either the middle linebacker or the quarterback or the special teams captain for each unit. As the head coach, I have the final say in all of that.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-Quotes-September-24/6880a0b5-7d40-4af7-9fe9-39fe0bd8b111

(on relaying plays and communication on the sideline) “We basically like I said all week, I’m the final decider on the play call, the final play caller. But I’m able to talk to him (George Godsey) throughout because I have basically two buttons. When we go over to defense I can switch over to button B and talk to Romeo Crennel or the defensive staff. When we go to offense, I can switch over to button A and talk to George or the offensive staff. I also can talk to Bob Ligashesky. You have to be a little bit of a multitasker.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-Quotes-September-26/8e242f37-aa2f-434b-955b-d34783de987b

There was also a press conference where O'Brien was talking about a play and how he suggested that Godsey go with something else. And in a sideline video from one of the first games you can hear him telling Godsey to keep running the ball.

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

BOB admits to having final say on every play call, so he must have signed off on that moronic 3rd & 2 strategy.

13. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

Apparently so which is disappointing. He was urging Godsey to constantly run the ball and pound it in game one. They both got way too cute with that call.

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

yep yep... i'm having flashbacks of Kubiak.

BOB can redeem himself by beating the colts, a game which Kubes would get slaughtered.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

That offense had just marched down the field on two scoring drives.

16. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This sums it up. I haven't read a lot of the threads but what was wrong with Watt? He looked exhausted and beat up out there. I was really hoping he would prove the Cowboys line is mediocre but the opposite happened. I saw him get blocked one on one with a guard for goodness sake.

Hopefully he will be ready to play on Thursday. We need those momentum killing 1-2 plays that he provides (usually) every game or else we can't win.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I wouldnt have gone for two.

I dont trust Fitz with that huge pressure on his shoulders.

also, if we have attempted the 2pt conversion

if they failed, the game ended there.

also they had 40 secs, and they were passing the ball, and romo can mess up by throwing an INT anytime, especially at the end of games, so you let the defense (the best part of the team) try to win the game.

I would prefer put the game on the defense, that putting all on the offense with a 2pt conversion.

also if the cowboys would have been in that situation, people would have mocked them for going for the 2 pts, and critcized a lot.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I definitely see your point of view, and frankly don't disagree with it. I just prefer the conventional method, myself, even if we did end up losing. As you said...it's much more palatable.

There's really no wrong answer. I wouldn't have been upset with either decision, honestly, and I think anybody trying to say otherwise is missing the point.

19. TejasTom

TejasTom Member

Actually, I believe Fitz has final say. Foreign concept to us as Texans fans, but Fitz can audible.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

2 point tries are typically a 50/50 proposition. (Odds that I liked way better than our odds in OT)

Onside kicks have about a 20% success rate.

So, even if you fail, you get a small chance to get the ball again with 40 seconds and one timeout.

One good pass completion and fat randy gets to try a 50+ yarder for the win.

Not saying it's a given by any means, but there was a backup plan available in the case of failure.

Speaking of the Cougars, it'd be a finish very similar to this. :) (I must hold onto the good memories...)