1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why no Lebron discussion?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gascon, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Gascon

Gascon Member

I feel like I've missed something, so that's probably the case.

Doesn't McGrady's contract come off the books after next season? For that matter, Yao is in the last year of his contract as well, isn't he?

Lebron is entering the last year of his contract next season, too.

I'm just curious, do we have no shot whatsoever at getting Lebron after next season?

I'm sure I'm missing something, so thank you in advance for any patient response. :)

2. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

cavs can match any offer than any team in the nba. there's always a shot....

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm NOT Banking on 1 Man to take this team to the promise land. I won't do it. Never!

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This has been discussed a lot.

Yes, McGrady's contract comes off the books after next season. But we're so far over the cap that letting his contract expire won't get us under the cap much (if it gets us under the cap at all). So we won't have the money to sign anyone like Lebron or DWade.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

LBJ has been linked to a re-sign with Cavs; the Yanks, his favs oops, the New Yawk Knicks and no where else. I guess one would need to get into the head of LeBron, but Cleveland is home and MSG provides the big stage.

BTW - that James lad already markets well in China...

6. Gascon

Gascon Member

Ah.

I see. Didn't realize our cap situation was so bad, even without Mcgrady's contract.

Thanks for answering my question.

7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Erm... I'm not positive, but I don't think that's true. The Cavs took the option on the last year of Lebron's rookie contract, which I believe makes him an unrestricted free agent when this contract is over.

Either way, the Cavs have Lebron's bird rights, I think, which (again, I think) means they can offer him more money than anyone else.

8. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Lebron doesn't seem like a discussion piece because he's still young and he's gonna get paid no matter where he goes. Don't think he'll be leaving the Cavs but if he does Lebron will probably stay in the Eastern Conference. A "one-man-team" does not really do much for a discussion, especially when the Lakers are taking the spotlight right now. Give it a few days... :D

9. sbyang

sbyang Member

It's 2009, not 2010.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

the guy still loves close to his old neighborhood, he hangs out almost exclusively with his best friends from high school....everyone knows him, he's definitely the king there....although they need help they aren't too far from building a championship team and he's still young enough to wait...he's got no reason to leave..

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Let's look at Kevin Durant!