1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Morey should aggressively pursue a 3rd star: Because Harden/Howard aren't Lebron or Durant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 18, 2013.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

he is a decent guy now with a regular wife and on court deadly :p
    just needs to share the rock

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Are you nuts???? There is exactly ONE basketball on the court. Are you going to take touches away from Harden and Howard and give them to Carmelo??? I think you should take a long look at PPP before you even think about going there.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

we are talking about a matured Melo who will be hungry to win championships.
    Lol

what PPP btw? I just said he would be the perfect shooter and Pick and Roll guy. You don't have to get him but it's not as bad as you think because you do not like him as a player.

4. Vivid

Vivid Member

points per procession.

5. knowidea

knowidea Member

so 20pts for Parsons, D12 got 17 last year and didn't get many post up plays, lets say he gets more plays, and improves his FTpercentage a bit. So lets say 25pts for him. I doubt daBeard is going to drop off much, I"ll say 25pts. Lin lets say around 14. And lets say Tjones avg's 8pts. Thats 92 from your starters. I'm not seeing that, because you still need to take into account your bench.

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Parsons averaged about 16 points last year... I feel with double teams Howard and Harden will get Parsons will benefit by getting more opportunities to score easily. I'm saying his numbers can increase by a few points. Same for Lin possibly... if Harden's numbers drop a tad bit it may be because someone else is benefitting off his or Dwight's attention.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Rockets
    Canaan
    Harden
    James
    TJones
    Howard

Heat:
    Lin
    Wade
    Parsons
    Bosh
    Asik

;)

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

LOL we must be playing NBA Live. hahahaah

9. knowidea

knowidea Member

I would never want LBJ on our team. Something about him I can't stand. I've never liked him since he came into the league. And its not because he's a badass because I've liked tons of others. Just something about him, can't put a finger on it.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That feeling has a funny way of leaving, when your team is winning.

11. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

The MOST important factor for a championship team, aside from the players, is: Defense!!!

Miami Heat, with all their talents, didn't start winning until they got their team defense well-oiled. The no-star team of Detroit Pistons was the top defensive team during their championship run (and a few years before and after that).

Boston during their prime, with Doc Rivers, is well-known for being top 3 defensively.

Lakers of Kobe/Shaq was not well-known for their defense, but you can just imagine how difficult it was to go inside against Shaq's big body and agile feet. In any case, Phil Jackson's teams (the Jordan's Bulls AND Lakers) are generally in the top 5-10 in various defensive stats anyway.

I can go on, but you get the idea.

I don't know yet if McHale can put together a top defensive team. We certainly didn't see it last year.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

The whole 3 stars or 2 stars+quality role players has been going on in the boards for some time now, however IMHO the OP's argument is the most illogical yet.

Howard and Harden aren't lebron, so to beat Lebron we have to get 3 stars. But wait doesn't Miami have 3 stars of their own? SO why is 3 stars without Lebron suddenly better than 3 stars with Lebron if the premise is Howard and Harden aren't enough to beat LBJ by themselves? We need not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5....but 15 stars to beat LBJ :p

Basketball is a team game, it's not about who has the most superstars rather it's who has a better team that counts. Getting a superstar doesn't add talent into a team, rather you're just combining talent into just one guy, and unfortunately that just plays into Miami's hands because if you make it big 3 vs big 3, then LBJ/Wade/Bosh will win every time.

Look at Miami vs OKC last year, and look at Miami vs Pacers and vs Spurs. OKC with Harden/KD/WB dismantled these teams in the regular season, and Miami undressed them in 5 games but almost lost to both Pacers and Spurs.

If you want to win against Miami you need a different approach, just like how rebuilding the Rox without tanking took a different approach as well.Why don't we see what the team looks like first before we make any drastic changes?

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think it will be different this year with the addition of Howard and if we keep Asik on the roster. You get 48 mins of elite paint D, plus I doubt anybody can score in the paint if you have both Asik and Howard together on the court.

14. knowidea

knowidea Member

meh, for most people probably.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm not opposed to it. But I guess I don't see the compelling reason to add another max salary guy, other than "the Heat are doing it, so everyone else should as well".

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So, to make your case that the Rockets need 3 max guys, you point to the Mavs, a team that won a title with only one? And in your OP, you point to the Pistons, who had none? I'm not following, to put it mildly.

1 person likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL great quote. To point out that we need 3 max guys, Dallas won a ring with "quantity not quality" with "2nd tier superstar, lesser howard and a whole bunch of really good role players".

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hey we won a title with only Dream being the Superstar.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

First of all, I never said the Rockets NEED anything. The Rockets can win right now. But do you wish for the Rockets to have just a chance to win, or have the BEST possible chance to win? If you just want a chance to win, the Rockets had one last season. It might've been a 0.001% chance, but technically they could've won it all.

So yes, in the end it's still a quantity vs. quality idea with the Mavs comparison. In the sense that adding the best talent you can possibly do is never a bad thing. This was basically Cuban's blueprint to his championship. He piled on players that were borderline all-stars and overpaid them to overcome the lack of star talent. But he did that because he couldn't get true all-stars. Wouldn't Cuban's blueprint be even better if you replace almost-stars with actually stars?